Starting this process - for the seconde time

Peanuts

Hi All

We decided to immigrate in 2008 shortly after getting married. We did everything except lodging the actual visa application and then decided we were going to miss our family too much.

Fast forward to 2015 and we have once again decided to make the move. This time there is no turning back seeing that we have two little boys to think about.

I am so excited to start this journey again, I feel slightly more in control this time round since we have done this before. I am also very happy to see that this forum is still the best place to find and share information.

Good luck to everybody who is on this journey with us.

• Like 1

Welcome back to the roller coaster ride! All the best with your 2nd time round compiling all that is necessary for the process. At least you have some idea of what you're in for.

We also decided to immigrate in 2008, but just as we had made the decision, the global financial crisis happened, and we lost our nerve. We were scared about not being able to sell our house, the employment prospects etc, as everything we read about anywhere was all doom and gloom.

Last year, we woke up to the fact that with both of us being just over 40, it was now or never! So fast forward for us, and we are eagerly / impatiently / nail bitingly awaiting to find out what the decision will be from our Case Officer / VPO.

Edited by EmNew
  • Like 1

Took me a while too, Peanuts. I think there's something special about taking your time to get there. By the time it happens, you've been through loads of different emotions and really want it. Mind made up. The future awaits!

• Like 1

Hey Peanuts,

Look at it this way, the Global Financial Crisis did hit Australia. Sure, good stocks went from 10% return to 2% but it was a big shock to the system. Remember, nearly all of Australia's wealthy are only rich because they have invested a lot in Aussie (shares, properties, etc..). Its why migrants can't afford private schools, mansions in the suburbs, etc..

But the biggest issue for you would have been the job market. Aussie is a small economy ruled by super corporations. For example between Woolworths and Coles they have over 80% of the groceries market. So, if both of them decide.. "Let's not hire staff until the next election is over". Its a big blow to the job market. That did happen because off the GFC. Many recruiters were even made redundant.

Welcome to the forum! It took us about 4 years too to make up our minds! We even did a LSD to Canada when we started thinking about it, but it took a few incidents too close for comfort for us to decide: this is it, we're going! For everyone the "right" time is a different time. When you do it when you're ready, you're more likely to be happy here.

• Like 1

Thank you for the support! Really helps to know there are people who feel the same and are on this journey with us.