Airlines for internal flights

KirstyS

Considering I already made a mistake on our long haul flights I am looking for advice and opinions before I book our internal flight. We need to fly from Sydney to Perth but we will have all our luggage with us. I know there are some cheap flights but then we would have to pay a baggage allowance. Would this still work out cheaper or are there hidden costs? Should I just book the more expensive tickets that includes the baggage? Who can recommend and airline? Any and all advice and opinions appreciated! TIA

My first suggestion would be to contact whoever you booked your tickets from RSA through and check with them if they could not extend your ticket to Perth. You may well have to pay a fee for the service but that may be much cheaper than paying for the extra luggage on an internal flight, which you book separately.

There are only the following airlines in Australia:

Qantas

Jet Star (subsidiary of Qantas)

Virgin

Tiger

Personally, I would stay away from Tiger. I guess with the others you would have to go on line and check what you can get. If you would like to try Flightcentre first, they should be happy to email you back and forth. http://www.flightcentre.com.au/

You could also check with http://www.webjet.com.au/

Hi Kirsty,

Are you flying JHB to SYD and then PER, if so then it would be far cheaper to fly SAA direct to PER and save yourself 4000 miles.

Regards,

P

Thanks Mara. I did contact them but their prices were more expensive. ? that was part of my mistake by not booking the internal flight at the same time as we didn't know exactly when it how long we would stay in each place. Peter we are visiting both Sydney and Perth.

It seems like a weird combination to visit Perth and Sydney. You must have friends and family in both cities.

If you booked through a travel agent, I would take Mara's advise and contact them first.

Just be carefull about Tiger airlines and Jet Star. They are the low cost carriers. They advertise flight specials... but they are one way, only on a handfull of dates and times and don't include any bagage allowance. So, only a small fraction of the people who travel with them ever land up paying that price. Unfortunately, Aussies know that the price you get quoted isn't the price you end up paying.

Virgin and Quantas aren't fantastic... but at least they are more up front about their pricing and have fewer gotchas.

If you need to choose Tiger or Jet Star... then remember there are many hidden surcharges. They may tell you the price is $100... but then when you fill in your credit card details, it becomes $102 because there is a surcharge for using a credit card. I wish I could tell you they are nice, honest, ethical companies... but they aren't. There was a story on TV about a lady who was charged $50 because her son bought her a Jet Star ticket and he selected the default checkin option. The default option was to checkin online, 24 hours before her flight. The poor lady didn't read the fine print, didn't check in online and was charged +- $50.

Look, you may need to use Jetstar or Tiger because they are cheaper and many people do or they would be out of business. But get someone else in your family to also read the fine print.... especially about how heavy your baggage can be, how many peices each you are allowed, the restrictions on carry on luggage, when you need to arrive at the airport, do you need to checkin online 24 hours beforehand?, is there a charge for using the call centre?, do some seats in economy cost more than others? etc..

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and guidance. We are going to book through Virgin. They seem to be best value for what we need.

My previous work used Virgin. Colleqgues occasionally told me stories about bad service on Virgin. But then my colleagues flew a lot. So, I figure if you get bad service on 1 in 20 flights, then that's not too bad.

I fly Virgin for work all the time. Can't complain at all. Their in flight entertainment is by far the best for inter-city flights. I don't often get delays.

Just this past week, I had to fly between Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. No dramas.

I find Qantas a bit old fashioned, but second choice, considering the price.

Hate Tiger and Jetstar. Ugh.