Calling Sydneysiders...need some help

SurferMan

Hey all,

It looks like I may have to go over to Sydney to do some work. (Parramatta area) I know this question has quite likely been asked before, but what are nice areas to stay? To give you an idea of my current place, it is dead quiet right now, quiet neighbours, roomy yard, house overlooks the ocean and beach 300m away. I like my privacy too. Don't mind stumping up a fair amount of coin once I'm going.

Consider looking at the Hills District. More specifically Castle Hill and potentially Baulkham Hills. Close to Parramatta. Won't take you more than 20-25 minutes driving in peak hour traffic and there is of course the option to bus it as well. If you were thinking about staying close to the beaches you'll be in for a rude awakening - it is VERY far to travel to Parramatta from any of the Sydney beaches. I would not consider any neighbourhoods within a close proximity of Parramatta if you're looking for peace and quiet.

Edited by Heymanse

Thanks for the info! More likely I will beg to shack up for a month with a forumite till I can pay for a rental and bring the family across. :blush-anim-cl:

Starts polishing begging bowl...

• Like 1

Yes, short of a earthquake that swallows half of Sydney, you will not get the beach and Parramatta close to one another. Hills is a good option, you can get decent sized properties for reasonable prices. Do have a look at airbnb.com.au for your first months accommodation.

Thanks R,

Will do so as soon as I know I have the gig 100%. Would rather get work in Perth! But times are tough and one needs to adapt.

Surferman....

Few questions-

How long time wise are you willing to travel to work??

How important is it to be around a beach?? Quiet relaxed area??

Cheers

Hey PhoenixGirl,

Am willing to hang in the CBD for up to 4 weeks...beach is 1st prize, but that said, happy to chill in a tropical garden and travel to a beach! Sorry been spoilt by WA beaches! I live in Yanchep, check it out.....LOL

I am used to 2 plus hours a day travel, so any less is a bonus!!!!

Castle hill,west pennant hills, bells vista, all nice enough..I'd stay in parramatta while you explore the area.

We stay in Pymble and hubby works in chatswood, I go to parramatta now and then for work, but I drive in and always around 9:30 so not much taffic, it them takes me 30 minutes to get the into the cbd.

Edited by elleneo
  • Like 1

Hi Surfer man, if you can organise flexible hours to miss most of the traffic it would be worth looking at the central coast.

Commute is around an hour and 15 which is long but you will be right at home up here. We live in Terrigal. Walking distance to beautiful long beaches and lagoon for kids. Loads of waterways for kayaking on the doorstep. Great fishing. 5 bed house with 2 balconeys, pool, garden and sea and lagoon views for $820 per week. Large, friendly and very active homeschool community. Rural properties too if you like for a bit more money.

Google terrigal, wamberal, avoca and copacabana.

Jessie and Ellen,

You chicks are legends, thanks so much for the info and support! It looks set to happen!

Edited by SurferMan

Parramatta is one of the large business hubs of Sydney. Great for job opportunities and lots of culture, history and great food. You'd struggle to find any property with some space & privacy in Parramatta. Closer to the CBD you will have apartments and then as you venture further out, homes on very small blocks of land (mostly very old style - generally not really very nice to be honest). If you need land and space, you'll have to venture out quite a bit further. Explore the Hills, Blue Mountains, Berowra Valley, Annangrove, Kenthurst, Dural, Penrith, Richmond & Windsor (none with a beach in sight though...) - or you'll have to go all the way out to the beaches which would make travelling to and from work a nightmare.

Have a look at these for short term stays until you can settle for a more permanent place. We stayed at 49 Grose St when we arrived in Australia and it was really nice and clean and situated next to a small park.

http://www.parksidesydney.com

Surferman,

I'm PhoenixGirls husband and grew up my whole life in the Baulkham Hills are right near Parramatta. In my last few years in Sydney before i moved to Melbourne for work i lived on the central coast at a place called Copacabana.

Sure its a longer drive but i found it to be worth it when you would arrive home and be able to hear the sounds of the beach and the fresh sea air. But just depends on what you want...