Day Care Placement

readysteadygo

We will be arriving in Perth 1st November 2015. We have 2 children a 5 year old who would be starting Year 1 next year Feb and I have my daughter who is now 8 months old.

I'm hoping to have a job by Feb 2016 and have waitlisted my daughter at 3 day care centres in Currambine and Joondalup area. I will only be able to hear towards the end of the year if they will be able to accept her. My concern is that if out of these 3 day cares that there is still no availability, then what other options do I have for child care for my daughter?

Is there anybody in this forum who has contacts of other day care centres that they can recommend in these areas?

Thanks for your help.

There is a type of daycare where it is mothers with a max of 6 or 8 kids i think, they are fairly organised in melbourne and work out about half the cost of regular day care.

Offhand i cant think of the names but if you havent heard of this type of thing shout and i will have a dig

I think you are talking about "Family Daycare" Nev. Its like a "day mother" in RSA, but mega regulated here. The trained woman can only have max of 4 kids and a council approved environment. No sticking kids in front of a DVD and getting on with her life. My son did it for two years, it cost us $12 per hour here in Sydney, so not so cheap. The council will have a list of approved child care places. You will only really know whats going on with places for next year, at the end 2015 or Jan 2016 when kids move up tge chain. Frustrating, I know.

Ya, that was it, when we checked it was around $60 a day, and much cheaper than a daycare center

Sydney does tend to be a lot more expensive than melbourne, not sure about Perth,

Just search google for "Family Daycare Perth" readysteady and you should get some options

• 1 month later...

Hi, I just saw this thread and I hope someone can give me some answers as well. I am trying to find a kindergarten for my 4 year old and 2 year old in North Lakes, Brisbane. The system is very different from what we are used to in SA and some Kindy's tell my sure bring your children we have Mondays and Thursdays available... :blink:

I am a bit confused about that... so what if I find a job and have to start work? What do I do with my kids? I would prefer putting them in one school and not have them jump around one day to the other in different schools. That would just confuse them and I believe in children having stability and security in one place. So what do I do?

Edited by 4viljoens

• 3 weeks later...

4vilijoens,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's VERY normal here. What do people do? One of 2 things largely, they hire an aupair/nanny (usually with 2 or more kids) or they stay home with their kids.

Most childcare centers in our area cost between $120 - $145 a day before rebate, so even if you DO get them in expect to pay half to a third of your salary over in childcare costs after tax.

Many people like myself would rather have the time with our kids than slogging away at a 9-5 and then to fork over 1/2 my salary to have someone else look after them.

I know this takes getting used to because labour in South Africa is cheap, it's isn't here with minimum wage being $19+ an hour, a cleaner is going to set you back $25-$30 an hour and a gardener as much if not more. You become very good at taking responsibilities for more labour intensive jobs that you might have outsourced back home.

It might be something you or your husband may need to consider, at least until you can get them into a place 5-days a week. I managed to start mine on 1 day a week, then 2 and as of last week a 3rd opened up, but that as kids have dropped out over the past 6-months and we were wait listed at 5 daycares.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 1