new 2 this forum

Gregory

While I can honestly say I've never called anyone mate, I have said no worries to a Saffer. They didn't die of shock and we probably ended the conversation with see you later.

I think what SA Aussie is getting at are people who put it on. You know like the person who goes to the USA for 10 days and comes back with an American twang and then insists on saying have a nice day for the next 25 years. You don't have to try so hard to fit in - be yourself and try not to pepper your conversation with too many South Africanisms. They don't get the slang. Guys in the office are however now used to me saying "for crying in a bucket" and "arse collapse" which they find quite funny and I can't seem to get out of my pet phrases for when I'm under stress.

• Like 1

It would seem the only Fragile person here are you SA Aussie. I don't see anyone else throwing tantrums. Who are you to judge in any event as you don't know me and looking at your judgemental spirit never will. I have many SA friends and I enjoy their company and positive influences. The only SA I avoid are the ones that think they know it all or negative judgementals like yourself.

So from this Namibian to you SAaussie have a nice life..... MATE

Hey ERG - dunno what he's so bent out of shape about - living in a place makes you adopt the accent, the language and sometimes, the attitudes. I think I was here for six months before I said "No worries", which was a surprise to me. Now everyone I don't dislike is "mate". If they make something of it, they fit into the category where I don't call them "mate".

I lived in the north east of england for quite a few years during my travels and saying "aye" for yes became second nature to the point that I'm sure I would have said it to aussies who I met there as well without giving it a second thought. I would have thought them quite provincial if they had taken offence at what is often a normal process migrants go through all over the world. I have never related to excessive nationalism though.

Absolutely - I don't always agree with our piscine poster, but here he is absolutely correct (meaning he agrees with me).

Must say I dont hear mate much in Sydney. Maybe because I am a woman and we dont go calling each other mate. I only hear it when men tell me stuff like, "I have a mate who is a dentist/doctor/carpenter". By the way, six year and counting, I am still to meet a Bruce or a Sheila :whome:

Hehe, Rozellem, you need to look in the right places girl... LOL!

Must say I dont hear mate much in Sydney. Maybe because I am a woman and we dont go calling each other mate. I only hear it when men tell me stuff like, "I have a mate who is a dentist/doctor/carpenter". By the way, six year and counting, I am still to meet a Bruce or a Sheila :whome:

I've met quite a few Bruces. It always makes me chuckle, particularly when one of them says mate.

I haven't yet met a Sheila, although I've seen a few women that I've thought to myself must be Sheila. Particularly the women who work on the roads - they look like real toughies.

Ok, have to ask (been out for a while) - what does "arse collapse" mean? Sounds so intriguing.

Ok, have to ask (been out for a while) - what does "arse collapse" mean? Sounds so intriguing.

Dont know, but it cant be a good thing. :ph34r::wacko: