Worth it?

HKing

I got some good news / bad news today :-(

Good news is my 2nd interview went very well and pending an offer from HR, they want me in Sydney in May 2015!

Bad news, I spoke to a bloke at our company that lived in Australia (Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland) for 6 years and he REALLY put me off track! He recons he would NEVER return, it is a country full of ex-criminals, pubs are filled with bad people, kids grow up with no morals and they use drugs and sleep around as early as 12 years of age :-(

House break-ins are common and crime is only a tad better than in SA

Not a great prospect if you are about to take on the unknown

crime is only a tad better than in SA

About 16000 murders in South Africa every year.

About 200 murders in Australia every year.

Define "tad"?

• Like 3

Ex criminals? People who stole bread to eat to live, threw stones at whoever was King of the British Empire at the time, questioned politics etc? The really bad convicts never made it to exile in Australia - they were executed in Britain. Many women committed petty crimes just to be sent on the same ship as their husbands. I know crime is crime, but to generally state Australia is a country filled with ex-criminals needs a little perspective....

Some children here are sleeping around in primary school already! There are few morals and a lack of discipline of children in a lot of homes here too. It's a sign of the times, not really the country.That guy seems to be clearly out of touch with what's happening in RSA too.

Edited by EmNew
  • Like 1

I got some good news / bad news today

Bad news, I spoke to a bloke at our company that lived in Australia (Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland) for 6 years and he REALLY put me off track! He recons he would NEVER return, it is a country full of ex-criminals, pubs are filled with bad people, kids grow up with no morals and they use drugs and sleep around as early as 12 years of age :-(

Not a great prospect if you are about to take on the unknown

HKing this really made me have a giggle. I remember someone saying something similar to me before we came over.

Lived here 6 years now and my children are a teen and a tween. Can say that my kids are no different in their views and behaviours than I hoped for when they were little. I've seen friends children who are bigger and likewise no issues.

Also not many crims roaming around. People are generally pretty straight up and down.

If you live in an area where you can't go to the pub you probably have picked the wrong area. I generally don't go to pubs and especially not the pubs with pokie machines, but I'm not concerned if and when I go.

• Like 1

A country full of ex-criminals? Surely better than living in a country full of current criminals? :D

I used to get angry when people made stupid comments like that. I don't care anymore. If people want to think like that, then so be it, one less idiot for us to put up with over here.

Australia is not for everyone. When people don't enjoy it here they look for reasons why they couldn't cope. Often they sensationalise them.

Also, there are pubs and there are pubs.

Plenty of Shebeens in SA I would not be welcome to venture into. Just think about it.

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 2

HKing, not sure under which rock that bloke in your company lived under, but I am guessing it was large as he never got to crawl out from under it. On any day, I would live in Australia, and I should know, this is the fifth country that I am living in. I can tell you the countries I lived in that I would never ever live in again...South Africa and Zimbabwe!

One thing you have to consider is that the cost of living in Sydney is higher. I can't comment on crime, but read the Sydney newspaper to get an idea?

Interesting. The guy lived in 3 cities in 6 years, including Auckland (which is in NZ, so complete different country). Wonder what was/is wrong with him, that he has to move on the whole time? With the hindsight of 6+ years in Sydney, I can tell you honestly, the guys comment is laughable. Which makes me think there is more than one side to his story........

Edited by rozellem