Decided to immigrate to Aus

Dewald123

HI

We have decided to immigrate to Australia. My head is spinning from all the research info on the whole process. We want to apply without agents. Here is what I understand the process is for skilled independent PR visa:

1. English test. Is IELTS the best to use?

2. Skill assessment. In my case electrical engineer, assessment with Engineers Australia.

3. EOI

4. Invitiation letter.

5. Apply for Visa.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

Start the process for all Unabridged Certificates now. You will need birth and marriage. It is these certificates that take a while.

Agree with LouiseMark - get the Home Affairs docs asap. Also start collating all tertiary education records that your skills assessment needs. Some institutions are not that helpful in assisting you with records required, especially if you studied some time ago.

IELTS is the "devil we know". Not much feedback, if any, from people writing the new alternative tests. You'll get more support and advice on the forum if you write IELTS, but be warned, the British Council can be a nightmare to deal with and impossible to get hold of.

If applicable, make sure your spouse doesn't need to write IELTS too. 5 years of School / or tertiary education must have been fully in English to avoid the test for her, otherwise book General test to get proof of her functional English.

All the best with the process !

You also need to make sure that your passports will be valid for quite a few years to come and not be expiring in three months time!

Mara, is that really a big problem? To renew a passport these days is probably the only government department that DOES work. You can get a new passport in n week or two.

I understand you don't want it to expire while you are already in Aus though.

I think the passport problem may come in if your current passport expires mid application process, as everything is done according to your passport number. So if for example you only have six months left on it, rather get a new passport before starting the application process.

EmNew, that is exactly why I suggested to ensure that your passport has enough time on it... thank you for clarifying!