Is my Westpac account number actualy my own?

Black

Hi Guys,

So I’ve opened a Westpac account online, they have sent me my account number.

How do you make sure it is actually your own account and account number?

Nowhere on the application do they ask for your passport number or any other identification number or reference.

It seems a bit fishy to me. (Don’t trust anyone)

I cannot transfer my life savings without being absolutely certain that it's into my own account.

Cheers

Andre

Did you not get sign on details?

Remember that in Australia you get

A. A bank account number

B. A bsb number

C. A customer number

Your customer number is what you use to sign on with. So my wife and I have a joint account and we both have our own customer number that we use to sign onto the one account with.

I thought the same when I opened my account with Westpac. Didn't trust anyone and had an absolutely normal reticence to transfer money into it. The thing is, you will only be able to properly operate your account once you have identified yourself when you arrive in Australia and that in itself is a bit of a fail safe. In the meantime, give them a call and set up your internet access. You will be able to transfer money in, but not out. It is so simple it's actually scary. A bit too simple for comfort, especially as we in SA are conditioned to distrust.

Once you see your first funds arrive into your account, you will start feeling better. Then when you arrive, identification takes all of 10 minutes and you account is operational. That's how I did it. Love Westpac, although the banking in Australia is perhaps a notch below the SA banking.

We did the same thing with Westpac, still with them four years later... :)

Edited by ericks

It is unique, as it is tied to the account number in the backend SAP system. You can trust them, i have been with them over 4 years, no dramas.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I’ve only got bsb and account number. No customer number.

Will give them a call to set up internet banking. I still I don’t understand why they don’t ask for any ID or passport numbers.

You set up the account in your name, they send you the account number/details. If you put funds in there, then you yourself would only be able to get your hands on those funds out once you've proved who you are by presenting your passport, etc, once you arrive.

So if you deposit funds into the account number that they gave you, rest assured- nobody else can access the funds without proof of ID.

• Like 1