LSD/Activation trip Dec 2014

Tee

Sorry for very late update. PR visas were granted last year after a 5 year wait. Instead of moving, we had to activate, due to obligations here that tied us in for a few more years. (At some point life had to go on while the visa process stalled).

Anyway, two and a half weeks in Oz. Half spent in Sydney and half in Melbourne.

Entire family loved the trip. Lots to see and do. Jetlag was tough but worse when we came back.

Sydney: Stunningly beautiful, very busy city, lots of traffic, expensive to live, suburbia differs from area to area. Beaches were clean, walkways wide and clean, play areas plentiful and safe (padded ground and well maintained). Could def see ourselves getting used to life there. People very civilised, i.e. relaxed family friendly polite etc. Sydney wasn't my choice to live though. Just a personal feeling of vibe for place. Too much city hustle and bustle feel to it and the commute would kill. All the touristy things were grt. Highlight is ferry ride into harbour and view of opera house. PARKING is a nightmare!!! everywhere!!! very expensive....and we couldn't understand the signs, even picked up a hefty fine for our trouble (which I applied online for leniency that was granted within 3 days - ha).

Melbourne: leafier, greener and less city - very cultural and artistic. Fell in love immediately. So much to say about the trip but where do you begin?

Found groceries as expensive as here. Coles was awesome. Fruit and veg more expensive but WAY better quality. Eating out very pricey and drinks are a killer on the purse too. Everybody walks everywhere. Very fit. Being outdoors all the time and feeling safe was awesome. I didn't have rose tinted glasses. Expected to remain paranoid as a Gautenger BUT I relaxed very quickly. It's just the vibe of the people and places. Very "civilised" all going about their daily lives etc.

I could see us settling in easily. It's not like a huge culture clash. Missing family will be the worst and of course losing a lot of financial freedom when we move.

Aus is not better nor perfect. It offers a wonderful way of life that's all. I found people to be friendly and positive towards us. The major cities are used to immigrants and tolerant towards others.

Sydney - stayed at Dee Why close to Manly which is across the water from Sydney Opera House. Drove to suburbs in the hills incl. Baulkham Hills, Roseville, Castle Hill, etc. Schools all look grt even public.

Melbourne - apartment in St Kilda. Drove out to Dandenong Mt range area for stunning views and wide open spaces. No potholes even in the countryside.

Overall we just enjoyed the freedom. Going out at night. walking on the beach. Walking in the city of Melbourne after 8pm with the kids and enjoying the sights and all the free stuff to entertain ourselves with. Sun sets late, was also cool. Never felt unsafe (but didn't look for alleys in city which must exist). Federation square is a must visit and walks along the Yarra river my fav. Docklands also a must. UP Yarra twd harbour quays (pubs etc). Even the railway yard was spotless. The walks in Melbourne are amazing and we walked our shoes broken!

Apologies for the haphazard way I posted all this. I'm juggling a lot and don't have much free time. Our final move scheduled for Dec 2016. My oldest child wants to finish his final year of primary school here...

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Hi

It's always great to hear about everyone's trips over in Oz.

My hubby is planning to go over in April. He will be going to Melbourne.nwhere did you find your accommodation?

Any advice will be much appreciated.