Tazzn

Has anyone had contact/booked flights through them recently. I have sent enquiries through their website but with no response. Does anyone perhaps have a direct email of someone that deals with flight bookings?

I got a quote from the lady mentioned in the previous response just this week.

Quantas webpage was cheaper than IOM.

Thanks. She responded to email very promptly. Had to send through our VISA letters in order to get a quote. Hubby spoke to Quantas this morning. Normal baggage allowance is 30kg + 7kg hand luggage and those tickets are the website prices (about 9k for economy) but you can book special tickets (even directly through quantas themselves) which allow you 40kg+ luggage allowance. Those ticket of around R13 500.

Will wait and see what IOM say otherwise we will just have to cut back on luggage. Quantas also quoted hubby about R2700 per 5kg if we are over our luggage limit

As you are on your way to Australia... it is Qantas there is no u in the name.

It is an acronym for Queensland and Northern Territory Air Services.

Checked last night. Qantas and IOM very similar.

If you are willing to fly longer Cathway Pacific Jhb-HongKong - Adelaide..... R25k

This is for adults and 2 kids (age 8)

Thanks Mara :)

Just got IOM's quote. Pretty similar to Qantas. I just want to confirm that the baggage allowance is 40kg check in plus 7kg hand luggage

• Like 1

Tazzn,

When we shopped for tickets, IOM was the cheapest for us, we get double baggage allowance each(23x2=46kg) with 10kg for our daughter(under 2) gets 10kg checked.

Furthermore, we are allowed to each take 10kg hand luggage, diaper bag and each a smallish handbag/laptop bag on board too.

Weigh up the options and see what works best.

Thanks Bigvan. IOM are coming back slightly more expensive but for the extra luggage allowance well worth the extra. Would rather just book the more expensive tickets up front than to have to pay the huge costs of overweight luggage.

when are you planning on leaving BigVan?

My pleasure Tazzn,

We were originally gonna fly with Emirates, they were way cheaper, but it was 23hours travelling with a toddler and one stopover.

That was our thinking too. Pay a bit more for more baggage allowance. Ours comes in at 2 adults at (2x23)= 92kg, toddler=10kg. That is 102 kg just on stowaway. That is a lot, if your kids are over 2 years, they book a seat as an adult and get the same 2x23kg allowance, it adds up!

We are flying out on 3 April to Perth and driving down to my BIL who lives in Bunbury. That will be ground zero for the beginning. And yourself?

I agree shortest possible flight with a toddler was HIGH on the agenda. Our daughter will have her third birthday just after we land in Aus so have had to book her a child ticket. IOM quoted us a bit less than a full adult ticket but with the same luggage allowance as an adult.

We haven't booked the flight yet - just waiting on some confirmation from the company I am going to work for but planning on the 15th of May. We will fly Durban-JHB-Sydney-Melbourne.