Enrolling children without rental

Katrol

Hello everyone

Hope someone can assist me here.

We arrive in Brisbane next week Saturday (28th), we will be staying with friends for a week then making our way to Bundaberg as my husband has a job. We will be staying with his work collegues in Bargara until our container arrives. My question is, once i have found a suitable school (Have narrowed it down to 4), how do I enrol my boys without a rental in the catchment area? It would be crazy to enrol them in a school in Bargara, buy uniforms etc. only to move 6-8 weeks later when container arrives. I have emailed the schools but unfortunately no response. I know i will only be able to find out more when we are there, just hoping someone was in the same situation and can put my mind at ease.

Just wanted to add, i also do not want to wait until our container comes to enrol. That will mean boys will be out of school for close on two months.

Thank you so much.

GETTING SUPER EXCITED.

10 more sleepies till we on the plane...out of here....

Edited by Katrol
  • Like 1

So you need to find a school in Bundaberg but will temporarily be living in Bargara, is that right?

I see there is a 13km distance between these two areas. If the schools you are looking at are selective schools, then you'll have to live in their zoning but if not, you could enroll them in the one you prefer and drive them there each day until you find a rental closer. Are your kids still in primary school? Then, it should not be a problem. Alternatively, if you desperately want them in a particular selective school, find a property to rent in the school's zoned area and either camp in your home until your container arrives, or continue to live with your family while paying the rent on the property you're renting.

• Like 1

Hi Riekie

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, we will be living temporarily in Bargara but will live in Bundaberg once container arrives.

They both in Primary school. Just worried about the Zoning problem.

Katrol if a Qld school is popular it will be "enrolment managed" and have an enrolment management plan. An enrolment management plan states the priorities for enrolment at the school. Generally catchment will be the main criteria.

The schools that have an enrolment management plan are listed here: http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/catchment/plan-b/index.html

You should first check if all your school choices are "enrolment managed". If so, if you are not willing to take a rental early, you might have to either appeal to a principal's faith that you will move into the catchment, or buy cheap second hand uniforms (often sold at school) for the interim school.

Primary School should not be a problem but seeing as you've narrowed your search down to 4 schools, why not just be upfront and ask them?