Decent camping sites in the Perth W/A region

magman

Hey all.

I just wanted to see if their is any other decent camping spots for families in WA without travelling too long from Perth.

We have been camping in South Yundurup, near Pinjarra/Mandurah, and the kids enjoy going crabbing, but I wanted to see if anyone knew of any other scenic spots, near a beach, maybe North of Perth, just for a change.

I found the Wiki Camps Australia app very usefull.

I am an ardent caravanner.

I go away for several months on end when I travel around Australia, and I find that Aussie campers tend to use the local shire campgrounds . . . . not the Big 4 or "Top Tourist" campsites so much.

These sort of campsites charge top dollar for a night's stay . . . $30 upwards . . . and they tend to be really spic and span, nice swimming pool, slippery slide for the kids, play area, barbecue area, with all the bells and whistles.

Great, if you have seven kids and want them to amuse themselves in the water all day, going on roundabouts and slides, but if you are just two of you, then the local shire campsites are for those who are "budget" minded.

Google the shire you intend to visit, and see if they operate a campsite.

If you do happen to have seven kids, and want them all entertained, then

Big 4

http://www.big4.com.au

Top Tourist

http://www.toptouristparks.com.au

Family Parks

http://www.familyparks.com.au

Between that lot, and the local shire, they ought to have something that suits.

Also, I've been on some great campsites situated right on the coast in national parks up in Queensland.

I don't know if Western Australian national parks have any nat parks, conservation parks or "areas of outstanding natural beauty" that do campsites right on the coast, but they are dirt cheap ($5+ a night) but have no facilities other than a "long drop" dunny (toilet) and a big beach to swim in (or fish) all day.

Check out WA National Parks website for details.

Good luck.

There are tons of places to atay in WA. try Lancelin, Moore River, Guilderton, Gingin (some awesome places) there are just so many.

• 3 weeks later...

I camp fairly often in WA and there are indeed a number of options...

Ledge Point - Great facilities, good for kids with jumping Pillow and pool. Modern bathrooms and mostly neat and tidy. Can get windy...

Guilderton - Can get windy but location is on the river mouth so fishing is an option for sea and river. Great location! Can be tough to get sites on busy weekends so book long in advance.

Cervantes/ Jurien Bay - A number of options. The beach is the main draw card. Some sites can be a bit run down in terms of facilities... Some sites allow open fires.

Avon Valley National Park - Cheap camping and great for a spot of bush walking (if thats your thing). No shower make this the sort of place to go for two night max especially if you have kids... Really great in winter when you want to make a lekker potjie after the fireban is lifted.

Lake Leschenaultia (Spelling?) - A great place to stay with a lake. Old ablutions but they are clean and tidy. Powered sites for most of the place. Red Dirt makes this a messy camp ground but good for a walk around lake, or a cycle for that matter. Open fires permitted in winter.

Karrinyup Waters Resort - The fact that this site is closer to the city than my house is crazy but I enjoyed a weekend with my family there 2 weeks back and in the entire weekend we only left the site once (to go to the beach for 2 hours). Great playground, good place for kids to jump on the massive jumping pillow. Fantastic pool complex to laze at for the day.. Pretty sheltered from winds. Camp sites are wood chip ground however, so take a tarp to put down.

Hope these help a little and Happy Camping!