Advice on what to take in our luggage

Tazzn

As a novice flyer (read has never flown internationally EVER) I am nervous about what I can take and where to put it.

1. Can I put larger volumes of product (shampoo, deo etc..) in our main luggage and have the smaller volumes in hand luggage

2. Over the counter medications. I would like to take my standard medical kit with me. Has the general pain killers, antihistamine, nausea etc.. meds for us and my daughter. Should I put this in my main luggage and do I declare?

3. Formula for my daughter. I would like to take extra with in case I can't find a replacement immediately. Can I?

4. Carry on luggage for a child. My daughter would be nearly 3 when we leave. I want to pack her own small back pack with toys/comfort items that she can carry. Can I bring an additional carry on suitcase for her as well?

Any websites that anyone can recommend to check on do's and don'ts?

I would also like clarification on this. Have an 8 & 2 yr old

My experience regarding formula - I took for my 8 months old daughter when we flew there in 2004. I had to declare the extra formula in my luggage on landing and i had also taken a week supply of Purity. I was allowed to take a certain amount of powder in my hand luggage but again I had to declare it. And oops.....i forgot about the packet of flings that I had opened mid-flight and then she did not finish the packet....the sniffer dog loved me but the customs lady..not so much. :blush-anim-cl:

As far as luggage.....that is guided by the airline and what seat you purchase. When we flew with 8 month old she was not allocated any luggage as she was on a small percentage air ticket. One way tickets are different though.

When we flew to Europe with my 3 kids (then 9, 7, 2) the two older kids were given the same allocation as us adults.

I always pack my shampoos etc into the suitcase and only take anti-nausea and Panado/Stopayne (Stopayne is great to help them sleep a little on the plane) in my hand luggage.

Remember to ziploc bag everything!!!! Under pressure it inevitable leaks! Perfumes are the worst!

Just my 5 cents worth. Just remember....whatever you put in your hand luggage always seems 10 times more and way heavier on the other side with a tired and cranky toddler. (Not to mention cranky mom and dad).

Good Luck! It is an exciting adventure! :ilikeit:

If you are not sitting in a bassinet, you are able to put smaller handbaggage (std basic backpack) underneath the seat in front of you, which means you can still get to it when the seatbelt sign is on - a lifesaver with little ones.

Not sure why you want to pack travel shampoos in your hand luggage, as LouiseMark says it is 10 times heavier on the other side. My suggestions, based on frequent long haul international flights with small kids, often on my own is as follows:

1. Unless you must have it during the flight, put it in the main luggage (wrap shampoo bottles in plastic bags to contain leaks)

2. If you are in any doubt, declare it.

3. Little backpack for small kids is a sure fire winner, but make sure that it is so small she will not feel the weight. I like the ones that double as a soft toy.

4. Novelty bags and handbags aside, work on one backpack per person.

5. Pack an empty plastic water bottle (at a minimum 1 between 2) so you can fill up with juice, etc on the plane. Often they will only give you open cups which is impractical and stupid.

6. Do not take any waters or juices, they will be taken away

7. Unless you have a marvellous eater, the chances are very good that she won't like the kids meal (can be particularly nasty), so would suggest packing a few bits such as crackers, cereal, fruit that won't bruise. A small lollipop for take off, another for landing and another three for emergencies (long queues at customs, flight delays, etc) will be a lifesaver

8. Pack plenty of mini packs of tissues and at least one mini pack of wet wipes.

You will manage, it always seems worse beforehand.

Just remember, if you have brought FRUIT with you, YOU MUST DISCARD IT, immediately upon entering the Australian Airport building, do not forget, if the officials do not catch you then the dogs might! This is the case, even if you got the fruit on the plane!

Thanks everyone... DXB2OZ.. just my own paranoia that my main luggage may be lost/delayed. Would like to at least have the essentials on me in case

You can get shampoo on landing. Keep some meds in hand baggage by all means, but keep your hand baggage as light as possible. Kids after a long haul flight do not generally walk off the plane. The promised pram is often not waiting on the other end. Lighten your load.

• Like 1

Put anything valuable in your hand luggage. Any essential medication that you cannot be without, I would also suggest putting in your hand luggage. If your normal luggage is delayed or lost, it is easy enough to replace a bottle of shampoo or plasters...but I often get migraines when I fly, so for me, I keep my headache tablets in my hand luggage. Also, if anyone in your family has a sensitive stomach, I would suggest keeping a small box of stomach meds in your hand luggage.

When I fly, I always put toiletries in a ziplock bag and then put it in my toiletries bag.... Just in case. Would hate for shampoo to burst and mess on my clothes.