Melbourne: Suburbs to check out?

Jos

Hi

So today I received my invitation to apply for my 189 VISA, really stoked! My wife and I are going to take an LSD trip to Australia in August this year, and are checking out 4 cities: Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne. We would like to check out the suburbs while we are in Melbourne, can anyone recommend the best areas to check out for a family of 4?

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

It's a really tough question to answer without knowing a few important things:

- what sort of budget?

- where do you plan to work?

- what is your maximum commute time that you're willing to put up with?

- do you see yourself in a house out in the burbs or an apartment closer to the city?

These will help narrow it down...

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. It's just as tough to answer these questions :)

- what sort of budget? I'd say I lead a generally middle class lifestyle right now, but I would need a place of at least 3 bedrooms with a garden, so that might give you an idea.
- where do you plan to work? I don't really know where I would be working, as there is no guarantee that I will even land up in Melbourne at all, hence why are visiting a few cities on our trip. From what I have seen so far, most opportunities for my line of work (software development) would be based around the CBD.
- what is your maximum commute time that you're willing to put up with? Obviously the shorter the better, but i'd say 1 hour to 1.5 hours max.

- do you see yourself in a house out in the burbs or an apartment closer to the city? A house in the burbs, have 2 kids and 2 dogs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I can tell you where I live and there are quite a few of us who can do the same thing.

We live in Chirnside Park which is Outer East. My husband catches the train from Croydon station (10 min drive) and it takes about 40 mins to get to the city, half an hour drive on the weekend.

Areas to look at in the outer East - North Ringwood, Croydon North, Croydon Hills, some areas of Croydon, Chirnside Park. More rural but more expensive - Wonga Park, Warrandyte. Areas I'm not so familiar with but which also have nice bits - Montrose, Mooroolbark, Mt. Evelyn. The area is not fancy but still affordable and I like it because there are many good schools both public and private and the private ones out here aren't as expensive as the ones closer to the city. Beautiful, hilly with lots of bush and farmland around. I've lived in three suburbs around here so far - the first had a playground next to our house and paddock with horses within walking distance, 2nd had bushland with a great playground and lakes across the road and this one is also near farmland and a little lake with ducks we walk to most evenings. The houses in this area are not that old so it has a nice feel about it. There is a nice little shopping center five mins from my house with a Coles, Woolies, Aldi, K-Mart and Target as well as a great health shop and fresh fruit and veg market (i.e. all you really need). Also has a cinema which is handy. They also recently started having Twilight markets with outdoor cinema and really funky food vans - we are catching up here in the Outer East! Lots of markets to visit - especially love the Warrandyte market.

We are near the Yarra Valley which is beautiful, also the Dandenong Ranges and the Yarra River at Warrandyte. Most of my mummy friends used to live in or near the city when they were younger but have now settled here. They are redoing the Ringwood station, Eastland Shopping Center, the library as well as the Ringwood pools which is a good sign. Lots of things to do with kids, parks, indoor and outdoor pools at Croydon, many parks and playgrounds as well as indoor play centers.

Negatives are the nearest beach is 30 mins drive away. Oh sorry that's only one negative. ;)

• Like 1

Hi Sibella Wow, thank you so much! Such valuable information, and exactly what I am looking for! Thanks for taking the time to write the nice, detailed post!

There are MANY great suburbs in all the directions in Melbourne. Our favourite was Eltham, although there are many more I would be very happy with living in. We are also a family of 4, looking for the same thing you mentioned. We spent a week driving around looking at suburbs, malls, stores, parks - even the zoo. It was lovely :) Enjoy the trip!

Well I live in Sunbury, north west of Melbourne. There are good schools, lovely brand new homes, some with large yards, and shopping for your daily needs is outstanding. Great places to dine out, many wine farms, 20 minutes from Melbourne Airport, and 45 minutes to the city by train. There are lovely parks, some with barbeque facilities, and I guess the best of all is that renting or purchasing a home is affordable.

Sunbury on youtube

Visiting Sunbury

http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Daylesford-and-the-Macedon-Ranges/Destinations/Sunbury

Photos of Sunbury on Google

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=photos+of+sunbury+victoria&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=8PDeVK_6Go368QWvxYLwDw

Properties to rent

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/with-4-bedrooms-in-sunbury%2c+vic+3429%3b/list-1

Properties to buy

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/with-4-bedrooms-in-sunbury%2c+vic+3429%3b/list-1

Coffee with Mara when you are visiting - FREE

• Like 2

We drove through Sunbury, was very peaceful! And there is a Nando's hehehe. :king:

• Like 1

That is true... also Maccers, KFC, Red Rooster! Subway, Hungry Jacks and some lovely cafés!

You would be welcome!

Used to live in the inner suburbs (10km from the CBD) good cafe culture, close to the beach (busy), lots of shops, plenty of parks. It could take 35-45 mins to get across the CBD at rush hour. Great if you love the hustle and bustle. Within 150m of where we lived there were about 30 restaurants of various flavours, numerous cafes, 3+ massage parlours 3+ nails parlours. But busy roads and the blocks getting smaller and properties getting taller over the years it had started to feel claustrophobic.

Needing more space and greener surroundings, I took good advice and listened to Mara :ilikeit:

Now loving living in Sunbury

Views of green hills, cockatoos fly over every morning and evening, less than 5 mins drive to the station, 40-45 mins to the CBD (a similar time as no longer need to get across the CBD) and a seat on the train. Air to breathe, plenty of shops, most of the major stores are closer.

But with Melbourne I would say it is a massive place if you know where you are going to work, especially if the CBD, then use that as a starting point to determine which direction to live in respect of routes in and out of the city.

• Like 2

Yeha.. honestly, I love my little town, no need to deal with traffic, do not have to pay for parking and can do 90% of my shopping locally. I venture into central Melbourne maybe once a year! For shopping that is..

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know anything about the area including Belgrave, Tecoma, Upwey and Upper Ferntree Gully? We stayed at Clarelee on our LSD trip and fell in love with the trees. (yes, I know trees burn, and eucalypts better than most...)

But do you know anything else about the area? Like how are the schools?

We live in Eynesbury in the outer west. I wouldn't recommend it as your first stop. It falls within Melton Shire but is 15 minutes away from the nearest shopping centre. It does have a general store and the Homestead restaurant.

We've lived in Bentleigh East in the SE and we could never afford a house the size of ours, in any SE suburb. We also rented in Point Cook for 2 years.

All said, I love Eynesbury for its country feel and the school our eldest goes to. We have a pretty good community going here of around 950 lots and we have quite a number of family events every year - like the recent open air movie on the golf course driving range.

It's not for everyone. So once you rent somewhere, explore all around Melbourne and find what suites you best.

-G