Accountants in Australia

DXB2OZ

Sunnyskies, we have the same problem of maggots in the dustbin here in Durban. Easy to control if you wash your meat packaging before you put it in the bin.

Well I'll happily give it a go. Will report back!

Worst bug in Brissie though is maggots in the dustbin.

For me the worst bug in Brissie is the HUGE FLYING cockroach - they make the Durban ones look like midgets.

For me the worst bug in Brissie is the HUGE FLYING cockroach - they make the Durban ones look like midgets.

Thanks for that RYLC :D. I am going to have nightmares. I have lived in Gauteng my whole life and the cockroaches we get are about the third of the size of a Durban one. I am very worried about my first encounter with a Brisbane cockroach!! :o

Yes sorry about that but it is better to be prepared. I didn't know that they could fly and it would have helped to have known ahead of time.

I must say that I always chuckle at the fears about snakes and spiders because for me it is the cockroaches and geckos in Brissie that drove me mad. We now live in Adelaide and am happy to report that we have left the flying cockroaches and geckos behind - wrong climate here for them.

I must say that I always chuckle at the fears about snakes and spiders because for me it is the cockroaches and geckos in Brissie that drove me mad. We now live in Adelaide and am happy to report that we have left the flying cockroaches and geckos behind - wrong climate here for them.

I have to agree with you on that one, I am not good with cockroaches either. We are still deciding where to settle and it is between Sydney and Melbourne because of job opportunities, but Brisbane has also come up in our discussions and now I am not so sure about Brisbane any more :D. Other than really frizzy, big hair because of the humidity, I would also have to dodge "HUGE FLYING" cockroaches. Very scary!! The hair I can deal with, but I will have to try to get over my fear of creepy crawlies, I am not that bad, but if I had a choice I would rather not have to deal with them on a daily basis.

You are fortunate to be able to live in Adelaide, I would have loved to live there.

Apologies for going completely :offtopic: and high jacking this thread with talks about bugs!!

• Like 1

At least there are no parktown prawns and the cockroachs are so big you can't miss when hitting them.

The geckos are harmless. We have a couple in our house and I love that they eat bugs.

• Like 1

About the maggots issue: put ANY meat scraps or leftovers in the freezer until bin day.

Edited by OnYellowBrickRd

Back to accountants (not that I don't love a good bug thread ), some more useful things which may help when "translating experience":

1. Pension funds are superannuation funds

2. Pty Ltds do not get audited here apparently, so specify if you were working with those, as it gives you a huge advantage in understanding the SMEs

3. Currency doesn't translate well, so instead of giving a blurb about run over, include number of employees, number of branches, geographical areas covered, etc

4. Articles is practical mentored experience

5. If you are able to convert to any local equivalent, do so before sending out Cv as it gives them a point of reference.

Will add if I think of anything else.

• Like 2