Introduction

DavidWeber

Hi All

My wife and I have decided now is the time to start making steps towards our (hopeful) move to Australia.

We haven't made any progress yet, but in the last few days we have contacted migration agents for quotes.

Having seen the quotes though, I'm leaning towards sorting out the visa (189) myself, any thoughts with regards to this?

I am 25 and she is 24, I work as a senior software engineer and she is an assistant accountant.

We both have university degrees, are native English speakers and I have British citizenship, not sure if that helps.

We're still deciding on which city we would prefer, for me it's more about where I can get a good job, ideally a city with a more moderate climate.

That's all my thoughts for now, this community seems hugely helpful :ilikeit: so expect to see me around more and more as we progress through our application.

Regards,

David

Welcome David! Interesting - another new member with British citizenship also just posted to say hello. As a matter of interest, have you been to the UK and/or Aus before, and what led to your decision to choose which country to move to?

Hi David, welcome to our corner of the cyber world!

If you are looking for a more moderate climate, then I guess you would be looking at Melbourne.. great city.. it has to be.. we live here.. LOL!

There are many, many, folk on this forum that have done all of their visa application by themselves, HOWEVER, if you decide you want to go with an agent, please ask your question here on which agent to use, you will get plenty of referrals to great agents, especially for the fact that they come highly recommended. This would be a very wise decision, as there are plenty of fly by nights out there that will take your hard earned money and just disappear, after your first hefty payment!

If you have any questions on Melbourne specifically, then by all means ask them here or you can send me a message! (Top right of screen, click on the little envelope)

• Like 1

Welcome. It is a long journey but hopefully we can help make it a little easier.

If you are looking for a more moderate climate, then I guess you would be looking at Melbourne.. great city.. it has to be.. we live here.. LOL!

And the coffee is really good in Melbourne!

But seriously, the trick is to find a city big enough on that you can get a good job in your field, but is still small enough that you don't feel it would be quicker to walk to work than to drive.

Brisbane fits that bill for a lot of people. Perth would, but the job market is either really good or really bad. It all depends on the iron ore prices (Perth is heavily reliant on mining).

Thanks all for the welcome and bits of advice.

Welcome David! Interesting - another new member with British citizenship also just posted to say hello. As a matter of interest, have you been to the UK and/or Aus before, and what led to your decision to choose which country to move to?

Hi Mr Moose
I have family in both countries, I have been to the UK (London area) but not Australia.
I was considering going to the UK for a few years to get my wife British citizenship and then move to Australia, but I decided to skip that as the weather and lifestyle doesn't really appeal to me.
Canada is nice, but too cold, Europe you really need to know the countries' native languages.
So considering all the above Australia seemed like the best option for us.

Hi David, welcome to our corner of the cyber world!

There are many, many, folk on this forum that have done all of their visa application by themselves, HOWEVER, if you decide you want to go with an agent, please ask your question here on which agent to use, you will get plenty of referrals to great agents, especially for the fact that they come highly recommended. This would be a very wise decision, as there are plenty of fly by nights out there that will take your hard earned money and just disappear, after your first hefty payment!

If you have any questions on Melbourne specifically, then by all means ask them here or you can send me a message! (Top right of screen, click on the little envelope)

Thanks Mara, I always see Melbourne popping up as the or one of the most livable cities in the world, so that always peaked my interest.

Having read this forum though, it seems it can get bitterly cold and miserable there in the winters?

Nah, it is just the sissies that complain about the Melbourne weather... LOL!

The weather, is pretty changeable, it rarely stays the same, for four days in a row. Winters can be cold and more so because it also rains in winter.. but then, most of the modern housing have central heating, which helps you to feel snug as a bug in a rug.. just switch it off when you go to bed or the $'s will add up pretry quickly.

In summer you should ensure that your home has some sort of cooling system, I prefer evaporative cooling, or you could be a tad hot on those 40ºC days!

I guess a lot depends on what you like to do outside of working hours. If you want to spend a lot of time outdoors, you will have to be tough.

We lived in Brisbane for six months, there is no way I would ever exchange that humidity for the Melbourne weather.. I firmly believe rather the cold than the heat...

You are most welcome!