The Introduction

TotesMagotes

Hey everyone!

I don't really know what I am doing here just yet, the whole idea of leaving for Aus is the most daunting thing I have ever tried to wrap my head around. I am living comfortable at the moment and haven't really had any tragic events or hard times forcing me out of SA. I guess it's just the idea that I could have a better/happier future somewhere else...

I have a BA degree in Visual Communication, majored in Animation and Film. I hate doing what I do and would not want to do this for the rest of my life. I've always had the desire to protect people, so if I can have any job in the world, I would be a police officer; I know it's not glamorous but I believe it would make me happy to know that I am doing some good in the world. In South Africa, this is obviously not a very good career choice, I do want to make a decent living. Does anyone have any experience with law enforcement as a career in Aus? I would appreciate some personal input from people and not just read about it online.

If I do move over, I will be going by myself. The idea of doing this alone and leaving friends and family behind is the only thing holding me back.

Anyway, if you have any advice or want to know more about me, please post! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Hey TotesMagotes,

Welcome to the forum, you will love it here.

There is a wealth of information here and even more, an abundance of emotional support.

You are not leaving ALL your friends behind, we are going over! :ilikeit:

Cheers champ, hope you get the answers you are looking for.

There are some policeman on the forum, perhaps one of them will come out of the woodwork to give you some advice.

All I can tell you is that we have Federal Police, for which I believe yiu have to be a citizen to join.

Then each state has it's own police force. So my suggestion is that you do your research, starting with the state that you would prefer to live in. Although having said that, if you have to get state sponsorship to get a visa then you will not have much choice of the state you are going to end up in.

My understanding is that you need to be a citizen for police force, but not for something like a paramedic. Know of one paramedic and another who worked in private security until he got his citizenship and could join the police force - both extremely happy.

You do not have to be a citizen for police, except for the Federal Police, unless this has recently changed. I know of a South African finger print expert that joined the force in Sydney, a few months after he arrived on PR.

Welcome to the forum! You must remember that each State / Territory has its own police force. So WA police have no powers in NSW for example. When they di interstate operations they need to be temporaily sworn in to the other state's police force. So check each state's website for recruitment criteria as they will differ. cannot I found this link for you: http://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/

What are the citizenship or residency requirements for joining the Western Australia Police?
You will need to have Australian or New Zealand citizenship or Australian permanent residency.

Thank you, I appreciate all the responses.

I've checked out the police departments of all states... they are all awesome, I really want to be part of such a wonderful group of people.

I can see myself doing that everyday and just loving it.

But before I get ahead of myself, there are a million different things to get done before I can pursue that dream.