Mandurah or Bunbury Schooling and Housing

Eto

Morning all,

Just wanted to check what the schooling is like down Mandurah or Bunbury way? Are there many to choose from? Are the government schools good or do we have to consider Private schooling?

We have a 10 year old daughter who loves looking for and playing with friends. Not sure if there are many young kids down Mandurah way, but your input will be appreciated.

Housing i know is more affordable (according to the net)and both Mandurah and Bunbury have some stunning areas.

Cheers for now.

Et

Many thanks Jordy.

Take care

Eto

Not sure if there are many young kids down Mandurah way, but your input will be appreciated. Housing i know is more affordable (according to the net)and both Mandurah and Bunbury have some stunning areas. Cheers for now. Et

There are probably about 20 primary schools all up in Mandurah and about 10 high schools.So Mandurah is full of young families. The government schools are good. The resources are exactly the same in public versus private. The difference would be that many private are faith based schools. If you look at all the wbsites on the obove links and pick one that you like, I will try and see if I know more info on that one.

http://www.mandurah.wa.gov.au/6522.htm

http://www.mandurah.wa.gov.au/6582.htm

Thanks Jordy.

Would love to stay down Mandurah way. Looks very relaxing and gues it would be much cooler than Perth?

What are the fees for private schooling? Do you pay per term/ per month ???

Cheers

Eto

It is cooler than Perth but only a degree or so. The private schools all charge different amounts and range between $5000-8000 a year I guess. They are pretty open with their fees and will be available on their sites. So have a look. We pay per term.

As for relaxing and awesome, we have been extremely happy in Mandurah. It is a wonderful place to raise children. It has everything a big city has except the traffic. Also Perth is a mere 48 minute train ride from here.

Thanks again Jordy.

Just had a look at property prices and way better than Perth. Definitely more value for money for sure.

Cheers

Eto

• 2 weeks later...

We've just enrolled our 3 daughters at the local public primary school in Mandurah, Halls Head suburb. We arrived in Australia on PR visas and therefore paid only $60 school fees for the whole year per sibling! The school's facilities are far superior to the SA public schools and our kids had no problems settling in. I would however advise you to look at private schooling for secondary scholars for which there are really good secondary private schools in Mandurah. The Australian kids unfortunately get a bit rough around the edges as they get older and you do not want to expose your children to their bad influences that is prevalent in the public secondary schools.

Mandurah on the other hand is a beautiful little town by the sea and excellent for raising children and about 78km from Perth, 45min by train.

Wanneer kom julle?

• Like 1

Many thanks JaYo.

At this stage not sure, but should be in next 2 to 3 months.

Cheers

Eto

We looked at Mandurah too (my husband flies in and out of Perth for work), but chose Bunbury because it's smaller and suited us better. We come from a small town in SA and even Mandurah was too "city" for us. We do drive up occassionaly for the Spur!

We live in Dalyellup which is a beach estate - there are some pricey houses, but like any other suburb, there are plenty of options - we love it here. Two minutes from the beach and amazing parks and facilities. Apparently there about about 1500 South Africans in our suburb. Plenty of kids scooting/riding around and in the parks/on the beach.

In Dalyellup, there are 3 primary schools (2 government and 1 private - Lutheran) and one high school. The government primary schools are zoned so would be dependant on where you live.

Our boys (13 and 10) go to a small private school about 25 mins away - they catch a bus there and back which is free. The school has a South African principal and about 7 Saffer teachers. We pay about $500 a month for both of them for school fees - my eldest is in high school this year which has increased the fees for us a bit.

For one child in Year 5, it'll cost you about $200 per month or $50 per week. The school goes from Kindy to Year 12, which for me, is a bonus. With the South African influence, the discipline is fantastic and it is a Christian school so the ethics and values being taught are great.

Of course there are plenty of other schools in and around the rest of Bunbury - some with good reputations, some with not. It all depends on where you live. There is an excellent Anglican private school about 5 mins from Dalyellup - Bunbury Cathedral Grammar School - but it is very expensive. There are also some very good Catholic schools which are reasonably priced for private schools - not sure of the criteria though, i.e. if you need to be a practising Catholic or not.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either Mandurah or Bunbury - I reckon they offer a lot of the same things in terms of lifestyle - it will come down to personal choices.

Good luck, and if you want anymore info on Bunbury, ask away.

Edited by leeferg1
  • Like 1

Hi leeferg 1,

I thought i had my mind set on Mandurah, but now you got me thinking again. Funny enough, my wife did drive through Dalyellup and loved evey bit of it.

What is the name of the chool that your kids attend if you dont mind me asking?

Take care everyone.

Eto

Hello Eto

Sorry for putting a spanner in the works!

I don't mind at all - the name of the school is Hope Christian College. It's in a small rural community called Roelands.

If you lived in Australind (another nice suburb - not as close to the sea as Dalyellup (and I don't think as nice!), but you're near the estuary), the school is only about 10 minutes away, but the bus stops en route too. The bus only carries Hope students which gave me peace of mind.

Hope that helps - fire away if you need more :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

At Joseph's is one of the Catholic schools in Bunbury and you do not need to be Catholic to attend. If there is a place, you will be considered. Fees are about $1000/year ( little more if you're senior because of school camp). Love Bunbury!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 20/02/2015 at 8:24 AM, leeferg1 said:

Hello Eto

Sorry for putting a spanner in the works!

I don't mind at all - the name of the school is Hope Christian College. It's in a small rural community called Roelands.

If you lived in Australind (another nice suburb - not as close to the sea as Dalyellup (and I don't think as nice!), but you're near the estuary), the school is only about 10 minutes away, but the bus stops en route too. The bus only carries Hope students which gave me peace of mind.

Hope that helps - fire away if you need more :)

Hi

Read your previous posts about Hope CC. Have some questions about the school. Do you mind me asking you some please?

Hi oli4

Sorry for the late reply - we've just moved house and today is the first day we've had the wifi reconnected.

I don't mind at all - ask away!

Regards

Lee