Vegetarianism in Australia

EmNew

I remember there was a restaurant in Perth somewhere run by the Hare Krishna mob, that used to serve Indian type meals - veggie, of course. Everyone was welcome and the price was (and this is the insidious part) - whatever you thought it was worth ....

This is the part that makes some of us uncomfortable ....

If the chef sets a price and you agree - great, if he sets a price and you think it's too high, you don't go in, but to eat and then to put a price on it, yourself ..... AAAARGH - I'm a fair-minded person - I can't eat there in any comfort .... I just can't.

I am a vegetarian who eats sea food. I have found that the menus at many restaurants are limiting for me. Some have no vegetarian or fish dishes at all. Granted, I have not been to every restaurant in Perth, and I live in the north, it could be different in other areas, but this has been my experience so far. My husband eats meat, so we don't go to vegetarian only restaurants.

I went to the Caversham Wildlife Sanctuary on Australia Day (to pet a kangaroo) and I had an epic veggie burger. But in general, not as many options compared to Cape Town.

Edited by Magenta

Haggling a price would freak me out. Someone please try my recipe and tell me how it tastes... :blush-anim-cl: :blush-anim-cl:

Dude I was nuts in my youth man! My brother threw me out of an airplanes with no parachute. Yes he was a a HIGHLY decorated parabat and he caught me on the way down, but let's say I struggled to walk for a while after that.

I was also a Parabat - Delta Co 86/87 when was your brother there? There was no Freefall training for Parabats so he must have continued parachuting after the army unless he was a PF instructor. All Parabat jumping is very low altitude and all were Static Line no Freefall.

You must have been terrified falling without a parachute.

Edited by Mikej

Haggling a price would freak me out. Someone please try my recipe and tell me how it tastes... :blush-anim-cl: :blush-anim-cl:

A donation of $5 is good, so a family of 4 will be about $20 in a little donations box would ease the situation of being uncomfortable .........

man the environment around is cool..... I see a lot of East European has taken on visits at the Sydney North address, they have even taken on the dance ....... now I feel like a westerner there lol.

Anyone on this forum living in Sydney would like to visit ISKCON - pm me, I would be honoured to be your host.

Surferman your Aubergine curry sounds delicious (minus the 15-20 chillies, lol).... It would go really well with the mealie meal roti but unfortunately I have always relied on my family members to make these rotis so I do not have a recipe. I think I have an Asha Maharaj recipe book somewhere that has a recipe. When I find it I will post it for you.

Rad don't you like to try your own ......... back in SA we used to gooi anything in a pot with the guys I worked with ,it all came out somber good though. I had a heavy hand on the powder so the white guys used to watch me with a straight eye and the black guys were suspicious I wanted to get them ill.

Good old days.

• Like 2

I remember there was a restaurant in Perth somewhere run by the Hare Krishna mob, that used to serve Indian type meals - veggie, of course. Everyone was welcome and the price was (and this is the insidious part) - whatever you thought it was worth ....

This is the part that makes some of us uncomfortable ....

If the chef sets a price and you agree - great, if he sets a price and you think it's too high, you don't go in, but to eat and then to put a price on it, yourself ..... AAAARGH - I'm a fair-minded person - I can't eat there in any comfort .... I just can't.

We ate at that Hari Krishna place when we first moved over - it was in North Bridge. The deal then was to pay what you could, not what you thought it was worth.

A donation of $5 is good, so a family of 4 will be about $20 in a little donations box would ease the situation of being uncomfortable .........

man the environment around is cool..... I see a lot of East European has taken on visits at the Sydney North address, they have even taken on the dance ....... now I feel like a westerner there lol.

Anyone on this forum living in Sydney would like to visit ISKCON - pm me, I would be honoured to be your host.

Rad don't you like to try your own ......... back in SA we used to gooi anything in a pot with the guys I worked with ,it all came out somber good though. I had a heavy hand on the powder so the white guys used to watch me with a straight eye and the black guys were suspicious I wanted to get them ill.

Good old days.

Hah! You think that's bad .....

A friend of mine used to work at Unisa in the Semitic Languages department. This included Hebrew, Arabic and a few others and they'd have departmental braais.

The stories he could tell, since they only had one grid.

Everything had to be done in relays since many of the Hebrew people were strict kosher types, many of the Arabic people were strict halaal types and he was a veggie, and there were other standard Saffas there as well as a few minor religions.

The arguments as to who got the grid first to purify it and then pass it on the next lot to purify it and him with his veg and the other guys with their boerewors or chops ...

We ate at that Hari Krishna place when we first moved over - it was in North Bridge. The deal then was to pay what you could, not what you thought it was worth.

When I was in the area, it was closer to the river. All I went on was their ad, which didn't really make it very clear except that the cost was up to the diner.

Edited by OubaasDik