Schools in Albany WA

Glenda

Hi, I'd just like to know if there are any ex SAfricans in Albany, WA with young children. I'd love to hear from you... Which schools you've put your children into, what you think of the school, and why you chose that particular school as opposed to the others in the area.

I have 2 boys: Angus, aged 13 in Std 6 (grade 8) and Liam, aged 10 Std 3 (grade 5). We've decided to take them out of school at the end of the term (beginning of the July school holidays) as our proposed date of arrival in Aus is early/mid August.

I've been onto the web to check out the schools, and they all look pretty ok, but I'd love to hear from someone with 'hands on' comments and experience.

PS

I've heard (hearsay I admit) from 1 or 2 people that friends/family/people they know who immigrated to Aus with school going children, their children were "put up" a year/grade, I'm not in favour of this, as I already feel that my eldest child although coping marvelously academically, is emotionally immature compared to other children in his grade (maybe he's just a late bloomer), did this happen to your child and are you happy with the decision? or is this just hearsay??

Oh PS, when does the next term start?

Thanx

Glenda, what is the attraction in Albany, as opposed Perth? Visited Perth, there is a beautiful school in Scotch College. Incedentaly, we have a son by the same name (4). My nephew is Liam.

Regards, Simba

Glenda

The WA school dates are as follows

3rd Term 23July to the 28th September

4th term 15th October to the 11th December

Regarding your concern about the kids not being emotionally ready, they are placed in the age level of their peers. Because you children are older, if they had started school in Oz, they would have gone to school a year earlier that is SA. So perhaps it would not be a good thing to hold them back, as they would be the "oldest" children in their class.

My kids were also placed in their age level and have coped very well.

Sorry, I cannot give you any recommendations on schools in Albany as I am based in Perth. All said , Albany is really beautiful a fantastic part of WA.

Good Luck

Many thanks for your replies.

We're headed for Albany as hubby has accepted employment there. We're going "blind" as we haven't done any LSD's, but although a little apprehensive about the move itself, we're really excited and have our heart set on starting a new life living in Australia. We've heard many good things about Albany, and being from Durban, we're excited about living in another "holiday town", albeit a cooler one. ;)

Thanks for letting me know the term dates, I'll have to "wikkel" and get them into schools asap when we get there. Don't want them to miss out on school too long, my kids love school, they get bored during the holidays (go figure - definitely not my genes). :ilikeit:

Once again, thanks for your replies and support.

• 1 month later...

Hi Glenda

Our kids ( coming from an afrikaans school ) are 12 and 14 and they were put up a year when we got here in Perth last year. They have settled in perfectly and they cope very well.

Regards

Leon

PS; is yours husbands name Derrick?

Edited by Leon.

Hi Glenda

Our kids ( coming from an afrikaans school ) are 12 and 14 and they were put up a year when we got here in Perth last year. They have settled in perfectly and they cope very well.

Regards

Leon

PS; is yours husbands name Derrick?

Hi Leon

Thanks for your response. I'm sure the kids will settle in well, they're so excited... counting the sleeps.

Yes, hubby's name is Derrick. He's finished working at Fedral Mogul now. He's now the "house husband" until we all leave for Oz. Just awaiting confirmation of the flights from the new company and we'll be joining you early in July. Min dae.

Regards

Glenda

Hi Glenda

He must be missing FM something terrible!!!!!

Remind him to let me know when you get your flight plans, if possible I will see you guys at Perth airport on your way to Albany.

Regards

Leon

Hi Glenda

He must be missing FM something terrible!!!!!

Remind him to let me know when you get your flight plans, if possible I will see you guys at Perth airport on your way to Albany.

Regards

Leon

Hi Leon

Yip, missing FM like a whole in the head.

Well, we haven't sold our house yet, so looks like Derrick will be comming over on his own until then. Will definitely let you know when flights are booked. Always great to see someone from home. Don't know if Derrick made a note of all his mate's email addresses, won't you let me have yours so that we can keep in contact.

Thanx

Glenda

Hi

we are also hoping to move to one of the smaller coastal towns (or near the coast) in South Western Oz, and will hopefully start applying soon after we gained PR visas. We are looking at a few, but in particular Albany, Bunbury. I have 3 kiddies and also worried about school move, but maybe with going from UK to Oz it wont be much different, I hope.

Stay in touch, hope it goes well for you. :lol:

Bianca

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Glenda

We are also going to Albany, probably September. Are you there yet? I would love to know more about the town. The internet has a lot of info but I would really appreciate your opinion if you are there?

Many thanks

Michael

Hello Glenda

We are also going to Albany, probably September. Are you there yet? I would love to know more about the town. The internet has a lot of info but I would really appreciate your opinion if you are there?

Many thanks

Michael

Hi Michael

Nope, we're not in Albany yet. Hubby, Derrick leaves for Albany on Tuesday (3 July), I'm just waiting for our house in Durban to sell before the kids and I follow. We must keep in touch and I'll definitely let you know what it's like. We have made contact with fellow South Africans already, and have had very postive feedback.

Speak soon

Glenda

Hi Michael

Nope, we're not in Albany yet. Hubby, Derrick leaves for Albany on Tuesday (3 July), I'm just waiting for our house in Durban to sell before the kids and I follow. We must keep in touch and I'll definitely let you know what it's like. We have made contact with fellow South Africans already, and have had very postive feedback.

Speak soon

Glenda

Thanks Glenda

Good luck with the house.

Michael