Advice urgent

Dapora2014

Please assist need some advice, i Have had an offer to work for a panel beating shop in Toowoomba whatarea would you guys suggest are better for children, i actually want to stay closer to the coast line need an ideas or suggestions i don't mind driving 50-70km to work. if anyone knows what the area is like please advise any advise if possible please.

From a family life point of view I'm not sure that being a commuter will be a good option. That's something only you can decide. The distance between Brisbane and Toowoomba is 125 km ONE WAY which is about 1h 40 minutes on a good day.

Toowoomba is a large regional town perhaps similar to Pietermaritzburg so a decent size. It is known for it's beautiful gardens, has everything you could need and is close enough to Brisbane if needed.

Also not sure what you mean by coast line because Brisbane isn't actually on the coast itself - it's on the river. Do you mean Gold Coast when you say "coast"?

Perhaps you can let us know what visa you have because that would change the answer too. If it's a 457 I'd so take the job and move to Toowoomba.

There are other South Africans in Toowoomba too and they're happy there. Maybe someone who actually lives there would be able to give you a better idea of what it's like, but from what I've heard, it's a nice place.

Thanks all I'm Looking forward to being there soon, just trying to get an idea on the Area.

Can only give my opinion based on a short stay after attending an event at the university.

I found this to be a typical regional and friendly town that offers everything you need.

Population of 160,000 and very low unemployment of 4.1%

Economical diverse where agriculture is the main driver (have a strong agric research center in collaboration with CSIRO), followed by retail, healthcare and manufacturing etc

Commuting to and from Brisbane wasn't fun as the road works were still in progress along a stretch across the mountain range. Apparently that has been going on for a long time.

Looked at Toowoomba recently from a property investments point as its capital growth are along the same level as Townsville and Cairns. Here is a Dec 2014 view.

Small towns or cities are just a personal preference. I have met a lot of people who have moved to a big city and said its the best thing they ever did.

But really its the same in RSA. You will not find many jobs for IT people in a small town. Your entertainment options are limited. But if you make your own fun, e.g. you own a horse, then a small city or town can be great.

Big cities suffer from high prices, bad traffic, etc. Sure you can work at google in Sydney and change the world... But you will probably live in a small apartment and have a 1hour commute.

A few links with demographics, home prices etc for Toowoomba - hope this helps:

http://profile.id.com.au/toowoomba/Who-are-we

http://profile.id.com.au/toowoomba/what-do-we-do

http://www.yourinvestmentpropertymag.com.au/top-suburbs/qld-4350-toowoomba-city.aspx

Top 5 immigrants:

UK

NZ

RSA

Phillipines

India

Unemployment rate is 4.8%

I've just remembered that there is quite a large ex Zim population from the 1980's who moved to Toowoomba

Edited by Crisplet