PTLF

Just one minor correction on the demerit points, you actually get 12 not 10 :rolleyes: .

Yay :) . Every bit helps! Thanks for the info, and yes I forgot about the double demerits over public holidays! What a killer! But it is needed for the young hooligans here, especially for tomorrow.

Happy Australia Day for tomorrow everyone! :jester::cowboy: See ya'l Perthians at the Skyworks! :D

• Like 1

Hi PTFL,

I am also in Hillarys ..been here for 1.5 months, 3 weeks of which in Hillarys.

This is what my husband and and I say to each other every few days ..... "Australia is absolutely awsome and I feel we have moved to heaven. Wish I were here sooner." :) We LOVE it here!!

I often walk in the mornings to explore the neighbourhood and have found many people return my "hello" and a few grumpy men ignore me.

I have actually been very impressed by public toilets, in the city and the suburbs. Always a hook to hang your bag, always toilet paper, soap to wash your hands and towels or air dryer.

"Coming from SA my hubby and I crave order, authority and rules. Please rule us and please punish those who don't follow rules! So when we arrived we kept an eye on order and rules because it was one of the top reasons for coming here. "

Agee with you 100%! I love how people obey the rules/laws, it makes it much easier to enjoy the parks, beaches, use the roads, etc, etc. I do get a little impatient having to wait for he green man to cross a road though .....

At the Whitford City mall there is a big Coles and Woolworths that often have nice fruit and veg. Near the Woolworths entrance there is also another fruit and veg shop (no idea of the name). And there is a Spud Shed in Innaloo area, close to IKEA that is open 24 hours a day. I found some of their stuff to be of poor quality but some was good and well priced. Only shop I have been able to find gem squash, although I have not gone to any farmers markets yet.

2 days off the plane and you have already posted your arrival story ..... I am still working on mine <blushes> but once that container gets delivered (and the Australian Open is on) ..... Life gets a little busy.

• Like 1

Yay :) . Every bit helps! Thanks for the info, and yes I forgot about the double demerits over public holidays! What a killer! But it is needed for the young hooligans here, especially for tomorrow.

Happy Australia Day for tomorrow everyone! :jester::cowboy: See ya'l Perthians at the Skyworks! :D

Hi there,

I have to mention it's not really a killer, it works and so far (13 years) I've only lost 2 points - bloody Canberra -they only post the speed limits right at the on-ramps, so if you're checking for traffic over your shoulder and in the mirror, you can miss it - 90 in an 80 zone - mutter, mutter

• Like 1

I got my first fine of $100 the other day, $100 for doing 107 in a 100 zone on the Mitchell freeway. This from a guy who got 3-5 fines a month in Joburg. My first in .4 years. Love this country. Rule of law and discpline.

Just do not miss the taxis and the countless times I've seen a brother/taxi/impatient ones use the emergency lane to "cut" in front of the queue with a silly wave and a middle finger and jump the queue. I knew I had issues the day I engaged 4x4 and rammed a taxi gently to the ass right into a fence. Pointless I know, but damn it felt good.

My other rage was a senior Gov dude who double parked me at Wesgate while I was in the car....Told him, "broer, I will ram that BMW so far up it's tailpipe if you leave me D parked, you will never drive it. He laughed at me and called me a racist @ss h@ole and dared me to go through with my threat, told me he was an ANC bigwig. (Which he was)

Long story short, his 750iL had about 150K in damage by the time I was done reversing out of my bay. )I took my time and needed to nudge his car a few times...)

I left my card on his window with the reply from Pulp Fiction, " I dare you, no I double dare you mutha...so and so" never heard or saw from him again. Hate arrogant pricks like that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A month later in Perth - whats changed?

Hi everyone. I have been quiet for a while because I've started work and its been absolutely crazy!

Here is my news and observations of life so far in Australia.

Whats changed:

1. my body fat percentage - I am a size down, thanks to spending more time cycling in the parks and around Lake Joondalup. Exercise is now fun, and I can't wait to hop on my bicycle! Also my work has gym equipment that I've been playing around on, so my abs are now popping :ilikeit:

2. I bought my first Aussie car. 2014 demo Hyundai i20, 4000km mileage, for $10 800 (yay :D )

3. Started work as a physio in an area of practice I have always wanted to be in. I love it! Still very much outside of my comfort zone. Only problem is its a 45 min drive from home, peak time is twice that much....I'm selfish in that way, I like to live close to work..I know I'm privileged to have work, and to enjoy it, and that distance shouldn't matter...but still -_-

4. Mr PTLF is applying for the police force. He's wanted to be a policeman his whole life, so he's really excited to be one here. It fits his personality for law and order and his strong sense of right and wrong.

5. We are fitting in very fast here, faster than I realised. South Africa is now a distant memory, and we haven't looked back or felt remorse. We miss our family and friends but its not painful now. Nothing close to the pain of last goodbyes. However, we have been warned that later it hits you and the impact of the immigration is harsh, bringing with it loneliness and regret. Maybe we are still in survival mode...

Some interesting things I have observed:

1. Lots of boob jobs (just saying)

2. The youth have interesting hairstyles and hair colour combinations I have never seen before

3. Tattoos are popular here in all ages from teens to ou oomies.

4. It doesn't matter what you wear or what you do. I once heard a man talking and using jargon only a lawyer or financial advisor would know. He sounded incredibly intelligent, debating various factors to someone. When I turned to look at the owner of this voice I found a wild biker man :blink: - tats, wild long hair, rings, slip slops, faded clothes...you can never judge a book by its cover here... :huh:

5. I was alone at a bus stop late at night when a version of a marilyn manson teenager joined me. He also wore a bull-style thick nose ring. We were all alone, I was terrified :ph34r: . But I was lost so I had to ask him for directions, and guess what? He was lovely and so sweet, even nervous of me! Don't judge a book by it's cover, again...Teens and young adults are friendly here.

6. The adverts on the radio don't agree with my SA conservative upbringing. I hear ads about how there "weren't enough boobies (!! :blink: !!) on the beach", "erectile dysfunction", "premature ejaculation". :mellow: I hear this morning, day and night.

7. Here you get called "love" , "darling" , "doll" (if you're female) and mate (if you're male) by everyone from your boss, neighbour, teller person...basically everyone including complete strangers. Aussies are also outgoing and funny. I enjoy their company.

8. I love the parks here, the laid-back sense of lifestyle. Aussies are health conscious, eating salads and exercising and looking after themselves

I could go on but must now go...

Next post will be pros and cons...

PTLF

xxx

Edited by PTLF
  • Like 9

PTLF - what you said about oomies with tats - well it applies to aunties as well

And as for the thing about not being able to work out whether a genius is hiding in Bikie leathers - well, welcome to the world. :)

I still love Aus, though ....

We'll be joining you soon! We are ariving on 2 March... Thanks for sharing!