School fees - public on PR

Kanniewagnie

Hi,

I've seen in several 'budget-topics' that provision was made for school fees - plus minus $1000 per year per child, but it was not mentioned if this was on a PR or temp Visa.

We are going on a PR visa to WA, Perth. Our kids are in Primary School. What will we need to budget for for a government school in, for example Duncraig? Is there any school fees, payable by us monthly / weekly, and are handbooks included or not?

Thank you!

We are on PR in Victoria, approx $1,200 per child per year. For primary school that included everything including stationery. For the high school, another $600 for textbooks and stationery. This is payable in full upfront, although the school can make arrangements for monthly or quarterly payments on application.

And then there will still be the cost of the uniform. Always ask at least two sources about second hand uniforms. For some reason the class rep told me there was no second hand shop at the school (there is, open every day, had already been going all year by the time I asked).

We home school as of this year. But our costs for 2 kids in private school was > $10, 000 a year. Public schools will be a fraction of that.

Public school fees in WA for PR visa holders are approx $60 PA per child, and this is voluntary.

• Like 3

Public schools are free on PR. Some schools ask for a small voluntary contribution to cover costs. In high school, some subjects, such as science or visual art, may incur additional fees to cover actual costs of consumables, but it is a small amount. In general, the cost for public school is minimal.

Thank you,

DXB2OZ, are your kids in a Private School?

Riekie & Richard, that's a relieve!

Surferman, It helps that your wife is a qualified teacher.

All of the best for all of you!

Another question : generally how many kids per class?

My friend in Canada says they are not more than 30 per class and there are 2 teachers per class - one is more an assistant - the kids get a LOT of one to one attention and they make sure that the kids who struggle a bit gets the necessary help to keep up with the rest.

I'm just a bit worried about my youngest, who tend to dream in stead of paying attention. Here kids like him only keeps up if the parents make an effort to do extra work after school, which is very exhausting for my 8 year old.

A good Primary School who produce the best marks, might thus not be the best for a child who needs a bit more attention, and I hope someone here can, in light of the above, recommend a Primary School which is also feeding a good High School i.e. Rossmoyne / Leeming / Willettons / Woodvale / Carine / Duncraig / Kingsway / any other... (?)

It is quite overwhelming to look for a school, because some people prefer to live far out and travel by train to Perth CBD daily. There is not a lot of info on the forum regarding schools further North or South or East and why they prefer those schools.

It would be lovely to read your experiences.

Thank you!

All I can think is that there is a huge difference between states as mine are both at a public school. About 40% of the fee is "voluntary" but I didn't want to be the parent who wouldn't cough up.

I can only comment on our schools here in Melbourne. My son is in primary and has just over 20 in his class. His teacher reads him like a book and he has made the most enormous progress. He is incredibly smart, incredibly lazy, smart enough to figure out the best way to be lazy and has a lot of issues (Aspergers being just one).

My daughter has slightly more in her class in high school although they shuffle around a lot. Teachers have been on the ball, know when to challenge, know when to support, recognised her strengths and she has already been put in the advanced program.

We went for a high school which did well and above average, but deliberately avoided the top schools as felt that would be far too much pressure. We then looked at the feeder primary schools and chose our living area accordingly.

We have been incredibly lucky and I am so grateful. Emotionally it has been very hard and we are all still adjusting, but my son has done better socially and academically than ever before and my daughter is right where she needs to be. Educationally alone this move has been worth all the heartache.

• Like 5

No idea for public schooles kannie, In our school (former) Quinns baptist, it was about 15 kids on average.

Yes I am blessed my missus is a teacher! raising my three kids is a FULL time job.

• 1 month later...

DXB2OZ Which secondary school did you settle on? I am starting to look around now for secondary for my son who is in Grade 5 at the moment. We are currently renting in the Oakleigh South area, but will move if need be for schooling. It is such a stressful and emotional thing to try and get right - I'm so scared of getting it wrong and putting him somewhere that doesn't work for him. Yes, I know that one can just move to another, but a move to a new country is upheaval enough for everyone without having to move schools a few times too. I've looked at a couple of private schools, a catholic school and a Christian school too. Still wanting to look at some public schools too.

JulesM, we went for Brighton Secondary College. Housing is expensive, but if you look at the edges of the zone, further away from Brighton Proper it becomes a bit more realistic.

Crystal ball would be super handy, wouldn't it? It's such a stressful decision. Can I ask, are you not happy with your local high school? Surely, if he is in Grade 5 now, most of his friends will be going there?

Good luck.

A crystal ball would be fantastic!

The local high school around here has not got a good reputation at all, so would definately not send him there. A lot of the people I speak to at the school are actually going through the same dilemma of where to send their kids. The private schools are a bit out of our reach at the moment too. The one Christian school I went to look at said that we would need to be active church goers and would need a letter from the minister/priest whatever, that we actually attended regularly! I'm not a religious type of person so this would be out. I said to the guy that just because I didn't go to church didn't mean we weren't good people with good morals and values. I thought that to be really not right and my Aussie friends were also shocked at this.

I think that perhaps I was a bit short-sighted when coming here as I didn't realize that primary only went to Year 6, and not year 7 like in SA. I didn't look at what high schools were in the area - error number 1. I just wish his school would add on the high school years, as it's so lovely! Would make life so much simpler hahaha..

So the search will continue ☺️

All I can think is that there is a huge difference between states as mine are both at a public school. About 40% of the fee is "voluntary" but I didn't want to be the parent who wouldn't cough up.

Yes surprised it is so different. Our sons primary school is around $150/year. Then on top we buy the recommended stationary pack which isn't too much (I'll ask my wife later) and any parts of his uniform he has outgrown from the year before (there is a secondhand shop in the tuckshop).

Edited by Fish