New and nervous

SueGee

Hi all

A brief history - hubby and I have been wanting to make the move for a while and finally decided towards the end of last year to start the process.

We used to live on a game farm and were involved in an awful farm attack which left one of our group dead and the rest of us held hostage in the bush and terrorized for 9 hours. Long story short we managed to escape and ran until we hit a main road where we were lucky enough to be rescued by a passing car.

Having experienced the horrible crime in SA we DO NOT want to bring our boys up here. Having said that it is so difficult as we have worked so hard to get where we are and do have a wonderful life here on so many levels. We also have great support from both our families which makes the thought of leaving even harder.

Hubby started applying for jobs in December and this week was asked to attend a Skype interview. Very exciting to have a positive response so quickly but also quite daunting to think that when it happens it will probably be a whirlwind!

We have many fears of course and one of my biggest fears is the logistics of moving with 2 small children. The twins are almost 3 and I worry so much about having no support. If we are successful we would be on a 457 visa which means we would get no assistance for child care - and I believe the cost is ridiculous in Oz. Hubby snapped his Achilles Tendon in December and needed surgery and I couldn't help but think if we were in Oz what would I have done with the boys when I was at the hospital?? Even just the thought of going shopping with 2 three year old is terrifying - ha ha! Has anyone done this move with twins or 2 (or more) toddlers?

Thanks in advance to all - knowing there is somewhere like this is such a comfort when I think of the long road ahead...

Sue

Edited by SueGee
  • Like 1

Sue, I haven't done this move but I have moved with one toddler, six months pregnant with debilitating morning sickness. Fast forward a few years and I moved countries with a five year old and a three year old, only to move countries again nine months later. Had no family for any of these moves. It is tough, but you will be amazed at the internal resilience you find.

Tips:

Try to train the kids (if you haven't already) on little snacks like crackers, mini raisin packs, etc. Never ever leave home without stocks.

Make up a few packs of loose sheets of paper or coloring pictures and a couple of crayons in sandwich bags. Always have a couple of these on you.

Likewise with a small bit of play dough.

If you have a smart phone, load some apps. It's worth it.

Make sure you have a very large handbag to carry all the clobber.

Once you start taking them with you, all of you will soon adapt. Don't judge them or you by a few bumpy first days - it will pass very quickly and you will wonder why you worried.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Sue, I live in Sydney (arguably the most expensive city) and have two boys (3&5). I have never had financial assistance for child care, so its not a deal breaker, in my opinion. All states differ a little with price and the name of their child care options, so can only speak for mine. Three and four year olds go to "pre school". The 3 year olds for two days a week and 4 year olds for three days a week. A day is from 8:30 to 3:30 and cost $55. There are many low cost entertainment options for toddlers. Best bargain in my opinion is "play groups". You can join as many as you want and they are about $25 per term per family, runs for 2 hours on the day, but you have to be there too. Its a great option for meeting others in your area. The library has a free kids program too. If you stick the kids into a long daycare option, you could be looking at $130 per child (in Sydney CBD). So, be very careful to sign up for this full on option, until you have a clear view of exactly how much money you will both be taking home, after all you outgoings have been subtracted. Lots of mums wait till the kids go to primary school before they go back to full time work. Working hours/days for mothers are very flexible here and they do a range of jobs. Throw most of your preconceptions out of the window. All the best with the interviews and move.

• Like 1

Hi, my 2 cents... if hubby gets an okay salary, rather stay home for the next 2 years and when they start school look around for morning jobs. The extra time with them will be so worthwile in the end, and yes, you will cope without a nanny....... or a maid........ or a gardener....... ect. Good luck with the interview and so sorry to hear about your ordeal!

• Like 1

Hi SueGee,

We came over with a 4 and 2 year old. NO support, we made it, you can too! :ilikeit: Had 3rd child while in Aus, NO support in any form, money or help. You can do it!! I know you have a nice life in SA, but as you say is it worth dying for? I doubt it. DISCLAIMER: Yes I am biased to Aus. :jester:

As miran says if DH makes good coin, do what my wife does and stay at home if that meets the need. My wife now homeschools (She is a qualified teacher and sportscientist) and the rewards outweigh the job market.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I know that many have done it before us but it is always nice to hear real stories and real feedback. Great advise and I am hoping that I am able to be a stay at home mum but until we get there and get a feel for the cost of living who knows if I will be able to.

We were up at 4am this morning prepping for hubby's interview and thankfully it went very well. It was his first across borders Skype interview and he said the panel were super friendly. Whatever happens it is a nice positive start to our journey as I have read on this blog that many people apply for plenty of jobs with little or no response.

Have a great weekend!

• Like 2

Hi Sue,

Welcome! I hope all goes smoothly. Please don't fret too much but the little ones. It will not be as bad as you think. We came with a 18 month old and now have 3 kids. We did it all alone. :ilikeit:

• Like 3

Start taking the kids with you everywhere you go now, and learn to cope with it, so you (and they) will be used to it by the time you get to Australia.

• Like 3

Yes Riekie - great advice as it's one of the little things that isn't obvious at all. There's no maid to leave them with and the days of shopping in peace may be over (depending on your kids).

• Like 1