Documenting my journey for posterity

LeighM

I need to write this post and keep it updated as often as I can. I have the memory of a shoelace and I know that many years into the future, these days will simply be a glimmering memory and I will have erased all the bad emotions, and only remember the good. I would also like to remind myself how long certain steps in the process took, how I felt during each one and anything I learnt that improved me as a person.

To date, our application journey has been an exciting one. I've detailed most of what has happened to us in my "stepping out from the shadows" post, but I would like to keep this post as a reminder of everything that happened during the application and migration process, and hopefully this could offer value to someone that reads it.

Right now, we are waiting to hear back from the State of Victoria on our sponsorship application for the subclass 190 visa. Our application was submitted on 05/01/15, and we're yet to receive acknowledgement, but my agent has said this could take up to 2 weeks so I will just need to exercise patience. Patience is one concept that I don't believe I've fully understood until now. Where it was previously a frail notion that came in the form of me waiting at the microwave for my food to warm up while feeling famished, it has now taken on a tangible feeling that requires effort from every living fiber of my body and mind.

Circumstances where true patience is required tend to consume my every waking thought, sowing doubt and fear into what I would under normal circumstances describe as a rational mind. I've had to learn how to overcome these situations with patience, and I build my patience on a foundation of Faith, which is confidence that God is guiding the outcome despite the lack of evidence and information. I am by no means an expert at it yet, since I find myself on occasion scouring the internet for people that have submitted VIC sponsorship applications at the same time as me, and who have possibly heard back by now (FYI there aren't any documented online yet, and that soothes me somewhat), but it does nothing to help me grow my patience.

I've decided instead to focus my attention on planning how we operate as a family in Oz, making the best use of each resource and working together as a team. I’d like to start this as soon as possible in SA already, so that it will be second nature by the time we get there. We’re already self-dependent since my wife is a stay-at-home mom and takes care of most of the chores (we chip in where we can), but I feel we can only benefit as a family by spreading the load more evenly. My boys will especially benefit from adding value to the family in a tangible way.

That’s enough words for today, thankfully I have enough work to keep me busy so I am sufficiently distracted. I’ll give an update if anything comes up, or if my brain starts lying to me again.

• Like 4

I can relate to your comments about patience. Patience and waiting for anything are concepts / virtues that have never been my strong points, especially if a time or date is given. ( I was impossible last week when the 189 invite round opened - I needed to know ........NOW!!!! )

Faith - yes, every time I contemplate on/worry over an issue relating to all of this, and hand it over , as it were, I get a feeling of utter calmness - as if God is telling me that all will be ok, and all will happen when and if it's meant to.

Your idea of practicing daily family life for Aus whilst still in SA is a great one. The one area I have started practicing for life over there myself is on the road. I must admit, I am usually a careful driver, but I find myself checking the speedometer more frequently now, to ensure I am at or just below the limit. I have seen that car park speeding limits are strictly monitored there - try driving at 10km p/h at your local shopping centre's parking lot here in SA, and see how slow that is compared to everyone else! It was quite an eye opener for me how difficult it is to keep the car at 10km p/h and that everyone else is whizzing past......

Edited by EmNew
  • Like 1

The one area I have started practicing for life over there myself is on the road. I must admit, I am usually a careful driver, but I find myself checking the speedometer more frequently now, to ensure I am at or just below the limit. I have seen that car park speeding limits are strictly monitored there - try driving at 10km p/h at your local shopping centre's parking lot here in SA, and see how slow that is compared to everyone else! It was quite an eye opener for me how difficult it is to keep the car at 10km p/h and that everyone else is whizzing past......

Hmm, I will save that bit of adjustment for last :whome: I wouldn't say that I flout the traffic laws outright, I just take advantage of the lax way in which they are monitored.

• Like 1

I too can identify with both of you and your feelings. Faith is a huge part of this process and trusting God's timing has been challenging for me.... not gonna lie. Feels like we've spent 6 months in the IELTS twilight zone and waiting for a breakthrough to happen.

As for the speed limit issue I drove the speed limit on Saturday whilst returning from dropping my husband at the IELTS location in Woodstock and took the N2 and Jan Smuts Drive turn off and Oh boy let me tell you. Normally people get mad at me for driving the speed LIMIT. This particular day there is a 60 Kph speed limit as well as road works and I was already driving 70 kph and I was overtaken by no less than 4 cars. Makes me irate most days that people endanger my life so that they can break the law! :wacko:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Right, perhaps it's time to dust this neglected topic off and give a bit of an update.

As a reminder, I applied as an ITPM to VIC for 190 SS on 05/01, and had our rejection letter back 08/02 :angry2: . To say we were gutted is an understatement. My wife and I felt that the rejection had the same impact as losing a family member, however callous that sounds. As we would come to realise later, VIC are a picky bunch and we could feel less worthless once we noticed the slew of rejections across the board. I needed a new game plan, coz this one wasn't cutting it.

I sat down again with the SOL and had a good look through. My eyes got stuck on ITBA, and I read the role profile with stringent care. I realised that my work experience could easily be translated into ITBA, so I pretty much started the ACS process from scratch. Within 2 weeks, I got confirmation from the ACS that they considered my work experience relevant to ITBA, and awarded me even more experience that they did as an ITPM :grads: .

I was back in the game, and my SkillSelect details were updated to suit. My agent asked if I would consider 190 SS from NSW, since the 189 invites for this FY had been depleted for ITBA. I told her there'd be no harm in trying while we waited for the new FY to kick in, and on 27/02 I got an invitation from NSW to apply for SS :jester: . All my documentation has been submitted, the $300 SS application fee paid ... and now we wait again. Checking in on other forums it seems rather quiet on the NSW side for everyone, but they only promise a 12 week turnaround time, so I can do nothing but be patient.

It is by no means over, anything can happen from here on in. We're fighters though, and ready for any challenge the system can throw our way. I jokingly said to my agent that as a last resort, I will get onto a boat somewhere in the Far East and row my family onto Aus shores if I had to :boxing:

Trust that you will soon have good news!

• 2 weeks later...

Trust that you will soon have good news!

Thanks so much Mara! I've learnt that "soon" in the migration process is completely different to the real world. Soon normally means wait a few months!

Another update, I just got a call from my agent ... we have been nominated for NSW state sponsorship! :ilikeit: Good gosh, just reading that makes me incredulous.

Our 190 visa application will be lodged this week; I'm looking forward to the bitter-sweet feeling of seeing a huge chunk of money leaving my bank account but moving on to secure my family a brighter future.

And then the next step in the process should come "soon" :jester: