Nothing could have prepared me.

Sounds like it Surferman

So now it looks like the "Groot Trek" will take place in the next few weeks and i have no idea how i will handle the 2nd round :whome: .

Some say it is easier the 2nd time round, but only time will tell unfortunately.

Best of luck and take care.

Eto

Sounds like it Surferman

Hi Surferman,

Yep that is the plan for now.

Take care

Eto

HI,

Just came back from Adelaide today after getting visas activated with the family. It's a pretty city with lots of positives. I'll be flying back sans family in mid Feb to continue job hunting (and to find a place to stay) but pragmatically, it may be a hard slog. My kids will be back in Uni in RSA as it's just too expensive without permanent residence. I'm going to try an focus on getting the best from each day and making the compromises necessary to making it in a new country, with different values and a different culture. I will hold onto the positive reasons why I and my family made the decision to immigrate, and look for ways to validate these, as well as to find new reasons to make a success. Is it going to be easy? No, I'm not under any illusions. But by the same token, it's not going to be totally alien either, and lets face it, we're all going to have really :censored: days, even when we think it's all good.

Please give me a call (number on profile) mid feb onward or mail me. It will be good to have more friends in the city.

Shaugn

• Like 1

Hi 1982,

Riekie is right, it is still early, be strong, it will get better. When you feel the need to move back to SA, rather move to another city in Aus, it works!

Best wishes!

Elizabeth

There are six States that make up Australia.

Each State has a different pace of life, a different "feel" about the place and different outlook almost, so rather than chucking in the towel and leaving Australia, take a plane trip to another city, another State in this big country.

It is seven times bigger than South Africa.

The Transvaal has a different "feel" about it than the Cape or Natal, in its outlook, pace of life and the way you live.

Also, I began a fasting program three months ago. . . . . . . . I watched a BBC program on how good a fast is to your health once a month.

Anyhow . . . . . I did a three day / four night fast back in October.

Day One was pretty good, but by Day Three, I was pacing up and down. . . . . . . only water all that time. No beer!!!!!

I had to remember all the time why I was doing this.

Maybe, you need to draw up a short-list of why you came to Australia, and when the going gets tough, you read the list again to remind of why you are doing it and what for?

Life gets tough at times.

I live in the Hills to the east of Adelaide and I know it's hard to get to know South Australians. They are parochial and you really need to have gone to school or have children in the same hospital / school as them, so that they can "assess" you and include you in their circle of friends.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to include yourself in groups . . . . . . church group, tennis group, bushwalking group, school group.

There are a few volunteer organisations in Australia, such as the Life Savers down at the beach and so on that would love to include you in their organisation, and from there contacts are made and a network of friends established.

If you hibernate in your bedroom and expect Australia to come to you, you'll be disappointed . . . . . . . so . . . . . . . get out there.

It won't happen straight away, but it will eventually happen slowly but surely.

• Like 8

I would echo rozellem and Bob about volunteering. It is part of the Aussie culture and would probably help one to feel a sense of belonging and maybe lead to wonderful friendships and career opportunities. All the best.

• 4 months later...

Just wondering how things are going nowadays 1982 - nearly six months down the track...

Hi RYLC

Thanks for checking up! I'm feeling a lot more settled in my surroundings, things are no longer so unfamiliar and I don't feel as lost. I know it will still take a long time for us to fully settle but at least we are over that initial hurdle. It helped a great deal receiving our furniture, etc. It's still a process and each stage will present us with different challenges but we are grateful to be here none the less.

Have a lovely day

• Like 5

HI,

Just came back from Adelaide today after getting visas activated with the family. It's a pretty city with lots of positives. I'll be flying back sans family in mid Feb to continue job hunting (and to find a place to stay) but pragmatically, it may be a hard slog. My kids will be back in Uni in RSA as it's just too expensive without permanent residence. I'm going to try an focus on getting the best from each day and making the compromises necessary to making it in a new country, with different values and a different culture. I will hold onto the positive reasons why I and my family made the decision to immigrate, and look for ways to validate these, as well as to find new reasons to make a success. Is it going to be easy? No, I'm not under any illusions. But by the same token, it's not going to be totally alien either, and lets face it, we're all going to have really :censored: days, even when we think it's all good.

Please give me a call (number on profile) mid feb onward or mail me. It will be good to have more friends in the city.

Shaugn

Hi Shaugn

Curious, are you leaving your kids in Uni and then hoping to take them over later?

Stay strong 1982...........try to remember the reasons you did this for! I moved to Canada last Aug and everything you explained in ur initial post was me . Now after 9 months I actually feel more settled but it will never feel like home and for this reason you have be honest with yourself and say: this will never be home BUT it will be home for my kids and that is really what matters.

Also, i find that any country can be awesome if you have really good friends, i have lived in a couple of countries due to my hubbies work, and in the beginning it is sh....... but then once you start making friends and then one or two bests (girls neeeeeeeds them) suddenly it is as if the clouds open and the sun comes out so do ur best to get mingle and put ur self out there almost like on a dating website bshahaha. I still havent really made any friends here, or best friends, just one or two friends that id meet up with once a week, but not that kind where u snuggle with ur buddy under a duvet watching a movie while the men are out drinking kind of buddy....but we are planning to come to Aus due to the terrible weather and the people here (people are very nice but very much mind there own business....not very social), so I am not too bothered in any case but i pray that you make some good friends because they will become ur family eventually....and a country without family is a very sad place I know i know i know.

Where about are you?

i wish i could give u a big hug and a jug of wine to make u feel better but at the end of the day, TIME is what makes it better combined with building a circle of friends.

Stay in touch i will make sure i follow how u r doing!

(I should change my name to 1980 as well bahahaha although when i start getting older maybe ill choose not to lol).

xoxo

• Like 1

Thanks MomofTwo for the advice, well wishes and thoughtfulness!! Wishing you all the best as well! When do you plan on coming over to Aus? Will be sure to stay in touch xx

• 2 weeks later...

Some people seem to arrive and fall in love with Oz immediately. I was more like you - got stuck feeling really depressed and missed family and friends something terrible. I was also not too sure that I had 'traded up'. I've been here for over 2 years now and my wife and daughter are doing really well. I am better, but still not over-joyed with life but am much, much better now than a year ago. I guess in a year or 2 I'll be back up to speed and happy to be here. (Remember, as is written all over the forum - Immigration isn't for sissies! :) )

What has worked for me is that I have a pretty good job which keeps me busy and I have cut down my travel time to almost nothing. I think the worst thing for me was all the time on the train alone with my thoughts. So, try to keep yourself busy and try to avoid having too many conversations about whether you made a mistake or not - you're here now so go about making it work ("if you didn't make the right decision, then make the decision right")

I know this isn't about dogs, but we brought our across and it cost a fortune, but was probably the best money I have spent. It gave us something to look forward to and when he arrived my daughter was over-the-moon. The bugger is still costing us though! What's done is done, so try to move on and remember the 10 years of love that you gave your pooch.

Good luck and thank-you for sharing. I think that open honesty on this forum is important because there are people like you and me who perhaps get more of a shock than others and knowing that you are not a freak has got to help.

I look forward to tracking your progress on the forum.

• Like 2