A new chapter in Mining innovation: A Rio Tinto perspective

ottg

FYI: "Productivity is high on the agenda for the mining sector, and John McGagh, Head of Innovation at Rio Tinto, touched base with us ahead of Austmine 2015. He discusses in this exclusive video where innovation is heading, how technology will be used to drive productivity, and Rio's strategy going forward".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLINQlJZo9M

Edited by ottg

Nice ottg,

I actually helped with the iROC design for BHP a while ago. When they are done almost no humans will be needed to mine. I am also in the process of designing a solution that optimises mins operations based on profit, so that profit is maximised depending on the price of iron ore.

All the technologies already exists in some form or another. The challenge is to integrate technologies and put them into systems. Think about Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAVs) that can fly into hostile territory, observe, find, identify, recognise a target then fire a precision (sometimes not so precision) missile.

Similarly in the manufacturing industry - the only way Aus will regain its manufacturing industry position is to a) improve efficiency i.e use better technologies & processes and b ) economy of scale i.e sales.

If the UK can do it the surely Aus can as well. Again massive opportunities!

Great read: The UK’s Manufacturing Cost Competitiveness: A Rising Regional Star

Edited by ottg

And pair to this new technology like SAP HANA in memory platforms and I can build you an autonomous mine. It boggles the mind what can be done.

• Like 2

SAP HANA is my unicorn,

I will catch that majestic beast very soon!

Thanks for the post ottg, this relates close to my current field.

Yeah mate,

I will be up in your neck of paradise very soon.

• Like 1

I always wonder - once the people have been replaced by machines in these jobs, how will those people find work to feed themselves? :(

I always wonder - once the people have been replaced by machines in these jobs, how will those people find work to feed themselves? :(

This is a major concern every decade for many and there are many discussion papers that addresses those concerns.

In short my view:

The same way how the 1970-typists and dictaphone operators feed themselves today....reskilling into computers and Word processors!

Think about the turn of the century before the steam era (before my time) I'm sure the same questions were asked by blacksmiths.

*Jobs in the OECD countries are increasingly for higher-skill workers

*Most job growth in mature economies involves complex interactions, not routine production or transaction work

And that's why I stay in IT and the rare end of the skill area. It costs more and the air is thinner but the pay is good and there is always work about.