Just a lovely evening

DXB2OZ

Just had to share.

After supper, we grabbed our new lab puppy (incapable of defending us against anyone unless he licks them to death), the kids and headed out for a little stroll. The kids went zooming ahead on their skateboards, often out of sight, checking back in every now and again. We pottered along stopping to let puppy sniff at random bits of foliage just in case the canine version of MI5 had left a coded message.

We passed a couple of other people walking or jogging with their dogs. We smelled the eucalyptus in the air (which is stunning) and enjoyed walking along nature. It didn't occur to us to keep an eye open for potential problems, we just enjoyed out walk.

We are now back home, in our unlocked house, back door wide open to let in a cooling breeze. Front door is unlocked and nobody cares.

For day to day living, this is pretty much as good as it gets! They really do mean it - no worries, mate.

• Like 9

Sounds epic!!!!!!!!!

A lot different to my evening last night...While doing some washing I was in out of the back door. every time having to remember to lock the door behind me.. just in case!

• Like 1

This is what I often can't put into words when people ask questions on whether making a move to Aus is a good idea because they're not sure if the standard of loving compares to that in SA.

We walk along the river to get to the park. Same thing with the kids on bikes and scooters. At dusk or dawn, we often come across kangaroos, rabbits, and more recently - a wombat! In suburbia. 18km from the city.

The freedom is something you simply cannot compare. Sure, it does not compare to the feeling of being around a campfire in a decent SA game reserve, but my point is - this is on our doorstep, and is every day, not just on expensive holidays. And there is little to no human threat.

I've never cared much for birds, but I literally break out in a smile every time I hear a Kookaburra laughing. It happens daily.

I don't like rubbing it in for those who are stuck in SA :( but for those who are making their way over - you are in for a treat.

One disclaimer though: You have to choose the right area to feel like this. It took us 6 years.

• Like 9

Reading posts like these helps me in making my decision. It confirms that what I am hoping for is real. I still have a number of other issues to deal with and to work through. But I am doing that slowly but surely.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Two evenings ago, I was sitting in the TV room at around 5pm, the birds were very busy in the garden outside and Lucy our cat, was out for her daily walk! I saw her coming around the corner, and as she passed the water bowl set out for the birds, she decided that it was time for a drink... imagine the horror for the birds! NO, not really, they kept on jumping around and chirping and when she was done drinking, she sauntered off to go and do the rest of her security run around the house...

Just goes to show, even for the birds and cats in Australia, life can be peaceful and without risk! Well in my garden anyway!

I moved over to Perth mid December and hubby and I often go for a little run in the evenings, through a park, along the river, along the coast. The beauty and freedom to run at 19:30 is wonderful. We see so many others running and cycling - there are so many lovely pedestrian and cycling friendly areas. The pavements are so clean and wide, great for a mom to push a pram or a kiddie to go on a push bike. We also see many families just chilling by the river, in the park, at a play ground.... Having a picnic or just having a stroll. No one is bothering anyone. No one is misbehaving. For quality, outdoor family time, this place is amazing!!

• Like 1

From time-to-time I get asked about South Africa, why we immigrated etc ....

I pull no punches and always tell it like it is, the good and the bad about South Africa .... when I start talking about how we lived, the precautions we had to take in our own home, on the streets, driving, visiting the beach, going out after dark I almost have to stop myself because I can hardly believe that it was that way for us. I am so aware that my stories must sound like fiction to the average Aussie.

Quite often, when going down to the shops now we leave our garage door wide open - which allows access to our house via an unlocked door. Most times during the day I could not be bothered to lock any doors, often fall asleep late at night watching TV while my front and back doors are wide open. This is from someone who's house in Cape Town had the burglar bars on every window, linked alarm set at night, rape gate, trellidoors on all sliding doors that would NEVER be left wide open even if we were at home, a firearm etc ... :rolleyes:

Later today we will go down to South Bank (Brisbane) to the free pools, man-made beach, restaurant precinct with other adults and kids enjoying the sun and water without a single person bothering us. We will leave our bags (cameras, wallets, iPhone etc) on the sand without a concern in the world. We probably will not see a single policeman in the few hours there, yet everyone will be behaving themselves - bliss.

One of my pet irks in SA was the fact that you were always harassed by someone, traffic lights, car parks, your own home, shopping centres, frikken KFC drive-throughs, sitting at the beach trying to enjoy that KFC ! Here in OZ, people just leave you the f#$k alone - ahhh bliss

For a laugh (a little twisted I know) I would often think about 'if this was in South Africa what would we see' hehehe :boxing:

As an adult, it may be tough but I am happy to 'take the hit' so that my kids can grow-up in this society

In my opinion: as a place to bring up kids, there can be no comparisson between life in SA and life in OZ

• Like 2

Struggling to post on my new Surface, gar. Been so indoctrinated by bloody Apple. I'm so glad you are enjoying it all! I am sitting I Wellington NZ at the moment. Been down the Quayside, nobody bothered me. Walked along the waterside, nobody asked me for money, cigarettes etc.. I put my bag down and went in search of the shoreline. Surprise surprise, it was there when I got back. Cash on the table in my apartment, has not moved in days. It gets lifted, wiped and placed back. Sigh.

• Like 1