Whats up?

Llewellynh

Hey guys,

My wife and I have made the decision that we want to move to Australia, I have family there that went over 10 years ago and I've only heard good things (other than the animal shows showing all the deadly critters out there) but I guess being from South Africa were used to most of that.

I have read tons of posts on the forum and done a lot of research on http://www.immi.gov.au/ which is very helpful and overwhelming at the same time.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be amazing, I want to know if there's a list of things to get and do or where to take the first step onto this long road. Looking at everything required I would guess the best place to start would be the documentation from the government (cause that might take a while) and then moving on from there. Is there a specific order in which documents etc should be completed or handed in...

And I have considered the idea of help but the guys that do help charge you an arm and a leg. I'm sure I should be able to do this on my own, with some help from the forum of course :)

I have a question if someone is interested in answering it...

1. How much money do I need to get me to Australia? (an estimate would be amazing, I like being prepared)

2. Can anyone explain the sponsorship deal to me? Can my family there sponsor me or a company and how do you get a sponsor?

Thank you :)

• Like 1

Last question, How long could I expect this to last if i have to do everything from scratch till I'm boarding a plane?

Welcome Llewellynh.

I am only part way through this process, so can only offer advice etc from my perspective:

1) you need to ascertain which visa you want to apply for - that will determine the process forward. Each visa would have different documentation requirements, and if you are going the 189 skilled route, I would think that each occupation assessing body has different documentation requirements too. No harm in getting your tertiary records together in the mean time - certificates and full academic transcripts

2) All applications will require unabridged birth certificates of all people migrating with you ( spouse, children, FIL/MIL etc ) - you should apply for these now, and I would suggest applying for your unabridged marriage certificate - better to have it on hand and not need it than jump through Dept Home Affairs hoops more than once!

3) you need to decide whether you want to go it alone or appoint an agent to assist you. It is possible to do it alone if you are willing to do the research. Another option is to consult with an agent just to find out which visa is best to apply for taking into consideration your personal requirements / qualifications, and then do application on your own. You don't want to make the mistake of applying for visa X when you are best suited for visa Y!

4) Money depends entirely on how many people you are applying for, which visa type and if you add agents to the equation, and that's just for the visa application. Once you know which visa you are applying for you can check the DIAB site for the cost of main applicant and dependent's visas - that will be the lion's share of your application costs. Then there are the IELTS test(s), pre application skills assessments if required, medical tests, police clearance certificates, courier fees etc.

Then you need to get quotes for shipping of your household contents - this will vary GREATLY depending on what options you choose - size container vs movecube vs shared container etc. So there is no one answer to that question at this stage.

5) Timeline will vary again depending on your visa type, difficulty in obtaining required documentation, so not really possible to answer for your circumstances. We started our process for a 189 skilled visa in July 2014, and lodged EOI late December 2014. Others, especially in JHB, had a shorter turnaround time to get to same stage as me, due to more frequent IELTS tests vs down here in Cape Town. Others struggle to get info out of Universities/Colleges/Home Affairs, and take longer

I think instead of answering your questions, I have provided you with more :closedeyes: ..... but hopefully some of above will guide, rather than confuse you :P

• Like 3

Thank you that does help. I think I'm going to apply for a 189 but I contacted an agent to as you said, help me with the type of VISA I should apply for. I'm still finding out how the family sponsorship works, I have an uncle that's willing to help me.

We decided that were not going to ship anything across but rather buy that side. From what I've heard you save a lot of trouble by doing that. And I checked online and furniture looks pretty cheap if you shop around over there.

I checked last night and it looks like people who do go over rarely have a job to go to, do you just go over and wing it? I told my wife that last night and she freaked. haha she's not someone to just take a leap of faith. A job site that I did find was http://www.seek.com.au/ if anyone else was looking and I guess you could have an interview over Skype if need be.

Again thank you for the guidelines they were very very helpful, if I hear from the agent I'm sure I'll have a couple more questions :king:

Use the 100 steps on Saaustralia forum. We've been here for just over a week, looking for jobs ect. Exciting but stressful times. We made sure that we brought enough funds to supports ourselves for a couple of months, that really make it easier.

How long: our visa took more than 5 years, others get theirs in 2/3 months. Very unpredictable. Good luck!!!

• Like 1

Thanks, I found that yesterday after I posted. That is one intricate list. I printed it and now it's on the fridge just waiting to be marked out...

I'm going to home affairs today to get everything started... :ilikeit:

• Like 3

Thanks, I found that yesterday after I posted. That is one intricate list. I printed it and now it's on the fridge just waiting to be marked out...

Good place to start, because it's often one that takes the longest.

You asked about sponsorship. I have no idea about family sponsorship, but as for work, a 457 visa can be surprisingly easy to get if your occupation is in demand, and there is a company ready to sponsor you. It means you get here with a job, but you can be at the mercy of an unscrupulous employer, and there are other drawbacks.

Hope it is helpful. As you work through it, if you find things outdated please let me know so that I can update for others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That list is quite comprehensive and have done the rounds - even published in Sabona! :ilikeit: But it is actually also quite old. Like Jordy said, if you find anything which should be added or changed to make the list more recent and applicable to today's immigration process, let us know. For instance, back in the day, we had to pass a theory and physical driving test to get an Aussie licence - I'm sure I've heard that it can now simply be converted...

Hi Llewellynh,

Its not that daunting buddy, get that checklist on the board, and start chipping away. This is a great place to live, and while the hunting is not Big 5 like you may be used to, it has amazing outback advanetures in store for you.