We have arrived

miran

After spending almost 24 hrs on airplanes (Etihad: Johannesburg - Abu Dhabi - Melbourne) we were really happy to go through customs easily. Renting a car was no problem at all. I would recommend "shopping" around because rates differ a lot. We arrived at our cabin at 9 pm on the 29th of December, but only went to bed after 1. On the 30th we activated our bankaccount and got Sheila (my husband's gps). We visited an angel later that day: Mara from Sunbury took us to Centrelink and to do a little shopping. Salt of the earth, thank you so much Mara. On the 31st we drove around a bit. We had a fantastic New year, because most of the caravan park's people had never met South Africans before, one couple asked my daughter why she's not black? We also heard we sound like French people...... Obviously they don't watch rugby or cricket........ We had a great lunch again at Mara's place on the 1st (husband feeling a little fragile) and went for a drive through Sunbury. I can understand why Mara likes Sunbury so much.

The next day we went swimming and fishing. I got sunburnt looking out for huge white jellies while the kids had a jol in the sea. We also got registered for Medicare (much easier and quicker than Centrelink). Today we went to a wild park in Ballarat, kids petting kangaroes ect. The heat was pretty bad the past two days, but rain is cooling everything down now.

I had a sad moment on the 31st when we bought South African wine and Savanna dry (with an Imported from South Africa label) Speaking to my parents almost daily is great, they are so excited and interested to hear about everything. I have internet sorted out on my tablet (at last) and it's fantastic to chat again to friends on Facebook. We are all in holiday mode still, thinking we'll go home to SA soon. I can't wait to get our own house and for the container to arrive on the 15th. Only then will the enormity of everything sink in.....

I feel really small here - in Moorreesburg everyone knows everyone, here nobody chats to me in the shops ect. I miss the quality time I spent with my family during the 2 weeks before we left and I miss 7de Laan. Other than that, we're really happy to be here. Next week is job and house hunting time.

My final remark is how overwhelmed we are by the friendliness and helpfulness of everyone we met so far.

Wow, it's amazing! Oh, and not having to pay someone to watch our car........

Ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi!!!!!!!

• Like 8

Hi miran,

Im so chuffed for you guys, and sorry to hear hubby felt a bit off, must be Maras food... :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: Just kidding Miss Mara!!! Next time try one of my recipes...PMSL. I am so happy you have finally landed and are settling into the rythym and routine that is Aus.

Welcome Maaaaate!

• Like 1

Actually Surferman, I think Miran's hubby was feeling a bit fragile due to the celebrating at the caravan park the previous night, he arrive at our place feeling fragile... after lunch he felt even more fragile, as I think we all ate too much. My hubby thought he would treat them to a variety of Australian sausages and of course some lamb chops, so that they could feel right at home!

• Like 1

Waahhaaa Mara!

That kind of luscious meal would fortify my constiution no end! Hair of the dog I say! :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...