Children running around without fear

People walking the streets at all times of the night

The strong community and family-orientated spirit

Strange birds and huge bats

Chattering Geckos

The beautiful scenery

Edited by Orphan
  • Like 14

Aaaah Orphan, we are SO with you with EVERY single point you mentioned ! We also LOVE:

1. the WARM sea

2. Thunderstorms

3. Friendly people

and our personal favorite:

THE ROAD SOUTH TO THE SUNSHINE COAST. Would LOVE to live there, still have to find a home and job there, but we completely lost our hearts there last weekend when we visited. We're hoping, praying, searching, waiting. Three weeks to find direction in our lives, we're getting ready to move quickly when the opportunity arises... :ilikeit:

• Like 3

Oh and I want also to add:

The abundance of organic options of most groceries. Many of whom is not more expensive and from time to time, even cheaper than the regular products, YAY !!

• Like 1

Annnd...

No president saying he never asked for the Upgrades and was not ware of them, although he flew there >50 times in one year....

The lack of continous 24x7 somone is going to try and screw you over or worse, try to harm or kill you. Thank you Lord for my new home.

• Like 1

Reading this leaves me warm and fuzzy inside :-)

So nice to see some RSA pet hates of mine reversed and on a favorite things list !

Now more anxious than ever to get that 189......

• Like 2

May you have it VERY SOON, EmNew, it boggles one's mind once you're here, to see what normal life is. Not perfect, normal. Safe, open, relaxed. Just normal life.

• Like 2

hi Orphan. We are returning to South Africa on Saturday after almost 4 absolutely fantastic weeks in Brisbane. We are all ready to submit our application as our son has been a permanent resident for 2 years already and is settled and very happy in Australia. I have a question though and hopefully you can help. How does one get the best value for one's hard earned ZARs whilst staying within both countries' exchange control and tax boundaries?

I wish you and your family all the best for the future. Enjoy every minute of your freedom! Have a fantastic 2015 in Aus!

Thank you for this great platform to communicate with and learn from others in a similar position.

Regards

• Like 1

Oh and I want also to add:

The abundance of organic options of most groceries. Many of whom is not more expensive and from time to time, even cheaper than the regular products, YAY !!

Whatch an ABC show called "the checkout" and you will seldom buy organic again. The issue is there is no clear definition of what an "organic" product has to be. There are still pesticides on many organic products.

The same problem applies to chickens. What does "free range" mean? In some cases the chickens are crammed in outside occasionally and that qualifies.

So don't go singing Australia's praises on the organic issue.. The marketers here are just smarter.

Edited by monsta

Hi Elna57,

Apologies for the delay in responding - I have only just picked up your post.

Firstly, if you are intending to put in a parent visa application, have a look at our unique "New Thread - 147 Contributory Parent Visa" thread on this website, as you will get a lot of useful information there.

On the question of maximising the value of your Rand, I do not profess to be an investment or financial expert, but would like to offer the following personal advice:

1. Get your money out as quickly as you can - I expect the Rand to continue to depreciate each and every year against all major currencies.

2. Make the maximum use of your discretionary allowance of R1.0million per annum per person. You can send this out legitimately to your son as a financial gift.

3. Contact one of the financial experts represented on this forum for advice on the cheapest way to move your money out. We are using Tanya v.d.Westhuizen of FXCapital.

Hi Orphan,

We are 3 and a bit weeks in and are amazed almost every day by things locals take for granted....

Get access to library books... 20 books and 8 DVDs for 3 weeks.... Minutes after walking into the library for the first time.

A public announcement system, which interrupt your radio, in the tunnels to explain there are road works ahead.

Not feeling obliged to pay car guards... Love this cos I am a softy.

A rubbish truck operated by one person who moves efficiency up and down a street where rubbish bins are placed carefully to make it easier for the rubbish collector.

The gorgeous picnic spots almost everywhere.

AND when we were driving around looking at homes I was desperate to find a loo, for a quick stop, he he he... Well we were at the very end of a neighborhood and there was a desolate park... On the far side of the playing field thought I could see a pubic loo.... Desperate I was forced to check it out. And to my amazement there was an old tired but clean loo WITH loo paper!

No my friends are not here and I don't bump into anyone in the shops but it's easy to live here... Hopefully with the kids back at school, and with us finding jobs we will begin to feel like we belong a little more.... I am sure it will take time but it's a beautiful place to be xx

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more!

Especially enjoy the one-man rubbish collection truck. How productive is that? No more gangs of six dustbin collectors hanging off the back of the truck!

After 10 years, my most favourite thing is still driving over the Sydney Harbour bridge at sunset and realising what an amazing priviledge it is to live in Australia. It simply never gets old...

• Like 3

I was also amazed at the public bathrooms, which are not in short supply (or locked) .... They may not be the most modern faculties but always clean, always have toilet paper, soap and something to dry your hands with :)