Admin... What are we missing?

Crossedover

Hi everyone on this huge island :)

We have been here (almost) a week and we have managed to:

Sort out bank accounts ... Waiting for cards

Converted our drivers licenses.... Waiting for cards

Registered with Medicare... Ditto

Registered at Centrelink ... Not exactly sure why, even on 189 visa most benefits are only possible after being here for 2 years. We are not actually here with our hands out.... One week in we are still in holiday mode so not fretting about cash just yet... But without bank cards we are safe from spending... He he he!

What are we still needing to do on the Admin front?

Finding a place to rent in a nice neighborhood and finding schools for my girls are now our focus.... Quite a monster task having no jobs lined up!! But one thing at a time!

:)

• Like 3

Sounds like you are well on your way to being settled!

Have you decided on some suburbs? I chose 3 schools and then looked for rentals as close to the station and those schools, then the enrolled her at the school closest to the rental.

Good luck xxx

• Like 2

Hey Crossedover, welcome to Australia. Didn't realise you guys had landed yet. Sounds like you have most things sorted. Have yoh applied for tax file numbers from the ATO yet? You're going to need them if you don't want ro pay higher taxes when you start working.

Good luck finding a rental.

• Like 2

Hi Crossingover,

We landed last week and have also managed to do the same admin (minus Centrelink). I have not yet been able to register for a TFN because the ATO offices were closed til today, and their online TFN application for migrants is under maintenance. I think I will visit the post office today to see if I can register there. We are also going to visit the area where my daughter's school is and start looking for rentals. Exciting times ahead! Good luck to you and family!

• Like 1

Pell,

In case you didn't already know, yesterday was national post office picnic day so unless you went to Broadway to do you ATO application you'd be out of luck! Some of ATO post offices also require you to make an interview appointment and the ATO offices in Sydney are currently moving and will be in there new offices from 5th Jan.

Crossedover, firstly, welcome! I'm surprised you weren't issues your cards on the spot? We received both and for future reference, use both Bondi Junction Road Services and Medicare offices, they take walks in and are very efficient in resolving queries on the spot.

I'm with Elleneo, pick schools/suburbs and then find a rental within their zone, they have to take you. We did that with our rental and our son has been enrolled for next year.

It's hard to know where without a job, but if from your research most of the jobs in either of your occupations is in the City, I'll look for areas that have good public transport links into the City, or if you can afford it and are brave enough, live in the inner city, it cuts commuting down and allows you to explore the city.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks, Matt, I did notice the local post office was closed, but then I was able to apply online later in the afternoon. I hope to be issued with the TFN soon so I don't have to pay too much tax on interest and when I start work... Staying with friends for a while so they have been priceless in advising us.

Crossingover, I also got my eTag for my car and Opal cards for myself and my daughter as we are the ones who will be using public transport more. My hubby will take some convincing to use a bus or a train (at least until he finds a job)... I also got my daughter to start learning for her Learner's test so she can get cracking on getting her license...

Hi Pell,

Yes, same thing with the TFN, they deduct the interest on your bank account as well unless you have a TFN, so another reason if you have any cash you brought over from SA.

We bused it everywhere the first month and a half we were here, it's very efficient and we built our lives around the bus timetable in particular and while it took some planning for the most part we didn't miss having a car, we went from a 2 car family to a non car family, but recently bought a Honda Jazz for exploring further a field. Opal cards are a must!

Good call on the eTag, I still need to get mine, I'm still on an Emu Pass, but will pop in this week and switch to an eTag.

Great to hear you are settling in well and nice to have a base to work from.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Crossedover, welcome home, seems like you have it mostly under control ! Happy settling in to everybody here, it is a hugely exiting time !

• Like 1

Hi all

I want to ask in what order should things be done and am I missing something.

Tax number

Bank account

Medicare

Centrelink

license I can use my south african 1 for the time being?a year I think?

And where can I get info if needed when in Aus? From centrelink?

Thank you

Martin

There isn't really a set order, but I would do:

1. Bank - this will give you access to funds, as well as a letter to use when looking for a rental and if you need to prove you have funds.

2. Medicare - so that you know you're covered for medical stuff

3. Centre link - can do it at the same place as Medicare usually, and only takes about 15 min. If you have a job, then I would worry about doing centre link

4. Drivers license - in ACT you have 3 months to covert your license so there not too much rush for it. [edit: having a driver license also helps with the 100pt ID, so it's helpful to have]

5. Tax number - again, if you have a job you'll need one, but it's not a necessity straight away.

The Government websites are very comprehensive about Medicare and centre link - so that's the best place to look for info. Else just walk in to their office.

Edited by CandiceW

Thank you very much Candice"!!!!

Seems like alot but Im sure once I am there and start tackling one by one it will be a breeze! he he

Kindest regards

Martin

I applied for my tax number online last night. It takes about 28 days to be sent your tax number (according to the website). So it may be worthwhile applying for it sooner rather than later anyway. Took about 5 min online last night. I am studying but still need one.

It doesn't actually take too long to do many of the admin things. Having a car has made it a lot easier too. Bank account opened before we got here (in my busband's name). On the day after we arrived, we went to the bank, opened an account for me, got a statement each with an address and applied for debit cards ..... Took about 30 minutes.

Medicare took about 20 minutes.

Drivers licence is a bit trickier, as you need quite a few documents for ID. We used debit card, visa, passport, bank statement, lease (we were very fortunate to find a rental and get everything signed a week after we landed).

It seems like there is a lot to do admin wise, but it doesn't take too long to get it done. Within a week, we got everything except the drivers licence but that was mostly because they were closed over Christmas.

• 1 month later...

Hi Magenta,

will be leaving for Oz hopefully end of feb. I see you are also studying--are you on the 572? How did you manage to get a rental so quickly? :)

I am on a 190, so I have permanent residence. This fortunately makes the fees for studying more affordable. I start at UWA in 2 weeks :)

I think we found a place pretty quickly (within a week of landing) for a few reasons. We have no children or animals. My husband was fortunate to find a job before we left South Africa. The agent we are renting from has rented to a few people from the same company that my husband works for. The townhouse we are renting seems to have been on the market for a while. And maybe a little luck :)

Are you also planning on studying in Oz?

yes, doing a two-year stint on a 572. Just waiting for the sale of our house to be finalized and hopefully we can be there end of the month. My intake is in April at MnM Institute. Which area are you renting in? We're looking at Alpine Glen area as hubby will be looking at finding work in either Sydney or Wollongong.

In my case, and I freely admit I am so old that I can remember when air was clean and sex was dirty ....

When I got here on a 457 , I was told to get a bank account first, before getting a TFN.

Reason being I couldn't get a TFN with only a passport (on the 100 point ID scale), but having a bank account would give me the points I needed (70 IIRC) to get a TFN.

On a 457, all the flummeries like Medicare, centrelink and so on beside the point.

Just my R0.20 or 2c as we may say.