Ready to be 'us' again

Alida

So we've been here now since 14 November, staying at family, experiencing the threat of looming chaos that ensues when two families with two completely different lyfestyles collide. It can be a tad disturbing and frustrating when you're forced to spend your energy and focus on the family dance instead of getting settled. Family is "supposed" to get along just because they're family, right ... ??

Our 10 month old son stopped sleeping through the night since we've arrived here and he's with me and hubby in the room, so we're all exhausted. More than forty days without proper sleep, with the emotional sensitivity factor regarding family differences, makes us SO READY to BE 'US' AGAIN. We long for ourselves. The win-win situation of family-staying-with- family, had hidden costs. But strangely, somehow, it was necessary. My brother and I havent spent time with each other for more than fifteen years. I never really got to know his wife and our families grew in different directions. But, in a sense, it was good too. Necessary. But I won't bore you with the details. We do have one place in OZ we know will not work for us to live ... humidity, heat and family.

Anyway, we are exited to get direction and we feel drawn to the Sunshine Coast somehow. Tomorrow morning we're off for the weekend to the Sunshine Coast to 'feel' the place. Quite exited.

As you've gathered, no job yet. Wrong time of year. But it will come. Still holiday time and I'm happy with it, for the children and I love having so much time together with DH.

• Like 6

I feel your frustration. We landed in Perth just over a week ago and we are staying in 2 places before moving into our rental. We lived with my folks for 2 months before flying over to Oz. All I want is my own place and my things. I want to get on with life and have a normal routine, etc. Like you, I am loving spending time with my DH and we have been getting a fair amount done together. I hope that you are able to get back to a 'normal' life soon.

• Like 2

I actually wanted to make this post a new topic because of the huge impact for us. But this topic is here so I'll just go on.

We completely lost it. Wholesale, like a love-at-first-sight moment. We went to the Sunshine coast and came back with our hearts completely sold out. The way we would like our life to be is SO possible there, we only need a job. We dragged ourselves back north to our temporary home, thankful to have the house empty for us to recover from this heady feeling of perfection we just experienced. It's exactly like a guy in love, but not sure yet how the girl would respond to his advances. And you don't want to share your thoughts with anyone who might not handle your brittle new treasure with care.

And we went to meet HEoJJ and OnYellowBrickRoad. What a lovely couple ! Thank you so much for the invite and hospitality and info and ideas - I was jotting down the list of pointers and tips with growing exitement. Maybe ... just maybe ...

As bonus, we met TammyP and family. HEoJJ is graciously giving them lodging in their early days and I could SO identify with them. Those first days of not even knowing 'how' to shop, where to go to for what. Anybody knowing more than you is your lifeline.

Hopefully, there will be something soon. Our lodging at our current location has an expiry date and it is good. Being in a temporary state can be good only for so long ...

• Like 1

I just have to say this 'what a bloody goodly bunch you all are!"

So helpful and caring.

We had the same issue when we got to Perth, stayed with family, but they are childless and the house full of stuff for young kids. I think they were happier than us when we got a rental! We stayed in a small room, all 4 of us, no aircon!

• Like 1

Yeah, I do realize we actually had a soft landing. But we are longing for 'stability' now (I guess that's just normal), and to be able to give to others what we've received here. But it will come, it will definitely come. It's the waiting that's eating me. I work very hard on my own attitude to NOT get unthankful or dissatisfied with what we have. I mean my brother and wife literally overthrew their whole household to accommodate us and by the time we'll be leaving here, it will be 2,5 months that they did not have their house for themselves as they knew it, with some of our stuff occupying space in the house's central living area and one of their children sleeping in their room with them, same as us. I think the main thing is that hubby and I long for a time to TALK to each other. We actually have that now for two weeks, with my brother&family being gone on a camping holiday. The children just LOVE the constant buzz of business with the cousins and miss them, while we adults are thankful for the 'break', hehe. I realize that when hubby gets a job and we start a daily routine with daddy gone each day again, all this bliss of being constantly together, will be gone. So I'm actually talking myself into happiness and thankfulness again. To enjoy the moment instead of moaning about what I think I want while I have a wonderful time right here and now !!

So, perspective is everything. Thank you for listening to me, this forum is therapeutic, hehe. I'm off to enjoy the here and now. Later will come at it's own time. I'll start the new year with a new attitude.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! :ilikeit::whome: