Probably a silly question, but tis the silly season

DXB2OZ

An Australian friend told me that huntsman spiders like to hide behind car visors. Initially I dismissed it as a wind up (I'm not very good with anything with more than 4 legs), but was driving today, flipped down the visor and there was a spider!!

This particular unwanted visitor was about the size of my pinkie finger nail, but am now seriously contemplating fumigating my car.

So, my question is - how feasible is it for a huntsman to get inside my car? Or am I just completely overreacting? Because I cannot guarantee even remotely sensible driving if one of those things falls into my lap - I can pretty much guarantee almost complete and utter hysteria!

• Like 1

Haha!

I HATE spiders. Just this morning I was rummaging through my dive bag for a mask and out fell a fat Redback. I shat myself. Needless to say, 0.0000000000000000001 seconds later it was dead. Very. Dead. I no longer leave my car windows open nor the sunroofs as they come in through there. That said, you probably will never get one behind the visor again.

• Like 2

My problem is that I also don't like killing spiders. I always feel horrible afterwards. Will need to get over either the fear of bugs or the guilt over slaughter. Have a feeling it will have to be the latter. Bah humbug!

An Australian friend told me that huntsman spiders like to hide behind car visors. Initially I dismissed it as a wind up (I'm not very good with anything with more than 4 legs), but was driving today, flipped down the visor and there was a spider!!

This particular unwanted visitor was about the size of my pinkie finger nail, but am now seriously contemplating fumigating my car.

So, my question is - how feasible is it for a huntsman to get inside my car? Or am I just completely overreacting? Because I cannot guarantee even remotely sensible driving if one of those things falls into my lap - I can pretty much guarantee almost complete and utter hysteria!

Sorry to say, but you probably brought it in with you. I've had 2 spiders in my car. One I'm pretty sure got caught in my hair as I walked under the carport (it has a creeper growing over it) the other I think my daughter brought with her as she walked through a spider thread (they like to throw lines across pathways.

The 1st one (a small huntsman) I beat to death as it had the audacity to crawl on me, the second (some nondescript garden spider) we scooped out because it wanted to spin a web between the headrest and the back seat.

• Like 1

Geez what a day. My mate has just dropped his kids off for me to watch for a few hours, and while the kids are playing outside a damn Dugite comes sailing towards them. We all just stood and watched as this brown bird with red under its beak (red wattle bird) started attacking it. It got into the rocks before I could brain it with a spade. What a day!!!

Hahaa, suck it up princess! :jester: :jester:

But in true logical fashion, I'm not scared of snakes. Only harmless huntsman spiders. And even those are less scary than the cockroaches!! Man those things are so tough, they even have painted war stripes!!

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm off to polish my nails.

The mental image of beating it to death is absolutely priceless.

Will try and man up a bit.

The reality in retrospect was good enough.

Driving down the road I noticed it dangling off the end of my hair, which goes about 5cm below my shoulders. My daughter is sitting next to me in the car. I come to a screeching halt. I jump out of the car and start beating myself in order to beat the spider to death or at least knock it off me. Bit of a mental picture as I'm in a work suit, high heels and am standing there slapping myself and shaking my head back and forth like some punk rocker.

We drove off with me feeling somewhat bruised and my daughter cowering in her seat in case I had another spider lurking on my body.

Every day is an adventure....

• Like 2

The reality in retrospect was good enough.

Driving down the road I noticed it dangling off the end of my hair, which goes about 5cm below my shoulders. My daughter is sitting next to me in the car. I come to a screeching halt. I jump out of the car and start beating myself in order to beat the spider to death or at least knock it off me. Bit of a mental picture as I'm in a work suit, high heels and am standing there slapping myself and shaking my head back and forth like some punk rocker.

We drove off with me feeling somewhat bruised and my daughter cowering in her seat in case I had another spider lurking on my body.

Every day is an adventure....

Most likely she was terrified you might pretend to see one on her body - MWAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA

That's Australia for you ....

I set fire to the rocks to try flush it, no luck.

If you had injured the poor thing you probably would have had council rangers and RSPCA busybodies around to arrest you for harming an indigenous animal.

• Like 1

Oh Sunnyskies, my sides are sore and my cheeks aching. Have just been reading your description to the entire family. I feel so much better now - Merry Christmas.

If it makes you feel better, my cockroach phobia dates back many years to a cockroach crawling across my bosom while I was driving. I didn't know what manner of creature had violated me so dreadfully, as I leapt out of the car and had hysterics in the middle of the road, leaving cell phone, handbag, shoes and creature of indeterminate species and size in the footwell.

On a side note - had been to the yacht club, so this took place late at night, driving through the docks. Didn't know if I wanted someone to stop or not!

As a result, I am now so pathetic I had to call a neighbour to remove a twitching corpse!

• Like 1

I had a bit of fun the other day with TammyP's hubby. We were at the Coles and there was a huntsman spider perched on the back of a Rav4. I managed to convince him that it wasn't real and more than likely only a sticker, so he got closer and I jumped at the opportunity :ph34r: and blew at the spider. Well it scurried across the back of the car had he screeched like a girl. I naturally wet myself laughing. :lol:

Mean, I know but the reaction was priceless. :P

• Like 5

I wish I had been there to see his reaction... we have heard so much about these spiders that it was an experience to put on You Tube :D

Having lots of fun here on the Sunny Coast with HEOJJ and OYBR, yes, this is paradise:)

Have a great Christmas everyone :santa:

• Like 1

@HEOJJ,

Brilliant mate!

@OBD...We hardly ever see the rangers up in my neck of the woods, and the dugites are thick as thieves up here. My philosophy, if you're running away from me, good. Towards me, you die. Dugites (Western Brown) are the 3rd deadliest snakes on earth.

Oh, I have a butane jet flame thingie...but I need a bigger one....MWWWAAHHAAAAAA

• Like 1

Hmmmm, I wonder if it is too late to ask Father Christmas for a flame thrower?

One of the first things I asked was if a flame thrower was legal in Aus. I am deathly scared of spiders, no matter how harmless, have no problems with snakes, no matter how poisonous. To me even the harmless spiders are deadly, because they can give me heart failure. What I have learned from this and other posts is that I will need to inspect the car pretty thoroughly before I drive each day.

Nah Pell,

Just make sure all your windows and sunroof are closed, you should be fine. Putting it in the garage is even better. :jester:

Nah Pell,

Just make sure all your windows and sunroof are closed, you should be fine. Putting it in the garage is even better. :jester:

Unless a whole family have hatched in there and are SLAVERING with HUNGER MWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAA :)

• Like 2