First month musings

Alida

So in two days' time, we'll be here one month. We're still staying with family, which is a mutual agreement helping both families. We don't pay rent, but contribute with groceries etc., while brother and SIL can continue their jobs till their holidays starts while we keep an eye on the 7 children while they are working. Fortunately both of them have their own businesses, so they're both flexible, should our family want some daytime to get out somewhere. Win-win.

We bought a car, got our licences converted, got medicare and bank stuff sorted. Centrelink can wait. No need yet.

We had our first visit to Ozzie friends for a swim with all the kids.
We had our first visit to the little church my brother and family attends.
We had our first visit to the little school my borther's children go to.
We had our first 4x4 outing with family and friends - yes, we bought our first 4x4 ever. We never where camping / 4x4 type of people, but it seems one can never be too old to change. :ilikeit: This country ASKS for an outside life. It calls for barefoot days and happy conversation on the beach while the children are chasing some kind of huge lizard up a tree and attack the waves with their boards. We were very much indoorsy, routined suburbian people in RSA. Partly because that's just how it happened to be. Here, we are buying stuff for the outdoor life. And we've learned a few cool tricks already. Baby powder works extremely well to get rid of that scratchy beach sand from your legs and feet ... and the whole car smells like baby on the road back, soothing the tired nerves of four exhausted children and their parents, hehe.

What I love about being here is the complete lack of offense to our senses. No more taxis, no more beggars, burglar bars, alarms, yucky, morally corrupted newspaper ads on lamp posts. "Soft" news. People are mellow and friendly, helpful and understanding of newbies. Not even the abundance of tattoos and metal attachments does too much harm to the senses. There is interesting history behind this cultural thing of tattoos in Australia as my brother told me. Cannot exactly remember what, but it came with the American troops being deployed here many many moons ago.

O yes, no such thing as I'm dressed better than you, my house is bigger or better. I mean, most of these homes have only an outer shell of bricks, but inside it's wood and board. Feels like constant holiday, but this is the norm, it seems. :)

Yes, we've had our down days. Days where we're a bit despondent because we don't have a job yet, yet we are still content to search and wait. We know it is a dead time of year to arrive and search for jobs, so we've been mentally prepared for that. It's only the emotions that breaks out of the barriers of mental constraint from time to time, to elope to some forlorn place of rebellion, from where we have to drag it back kicking and screaming to find self-control again under the jurisdiction of logical reason. Especially when our almost-four-year-old began with rebellious behavior due to the insecurity of having no place to call home. Poor little marshmallow. Wonderful to be two in this process. A talk on the riverbank and a shared prayer usually bring us back to where we should be - the place where we do what we can and yet completely trust in Abba Father to be the One Who cares for us always.

The weather is warm and balmy up here north of the Sunshine Coast. I don't exactly like the sticky-ness. I can handle a bit of heat, but the humidity we can do without. We hope to move a bit south, but also not too much. We'll see. Till 'then' - whenever that might be - we're happy to have a holiday in subtropical Bargara ^_^ .

• Like 13

What a lovely update and fantastic attitude. Keep on keeping on!

I love the use of the word 'marshmallow' :) I call dogs and kids sausages but MARSHMALLOW is a great alternative :D

7 kids must keep you very busy in the day and make you so exhausted that you sleep well at night!

Enjoy the long holiday. Once you find employment and a house, you will wish for a holiday ;)

Such a lovely update. Enjoy the "holiday" and I hope the job and house hunting come to you when the time is right :)