School system explained/summarized

Tazzn

Can any one give me a brief overview / rough "guide" on the school system in Aus. I am not sure now if we're going to Queensland or South Aus and if there are major differences between all the states.

I am just not sure where my daughter will fit in so I know what to search for (day care vs kindergarten vs pre-primary). She will be 3 when we land (only turning 4 the following year)

The schools here in QLD for the most part are really good at integrating new students. Our daughter (according to the school system) was meant to slot into year one when she first started, coming out of prep in South Africa. We didn't feel that was a good idea and when we explained to the principal that her first language was Afrikaans and she assessed our daughter she agreed and let her slot into prep.

I'm glad we did it but at the same time when I look back at it I think she may just have been fine wherever she slotted in. We were lucky and managed to find a really good school and the teachers and staff have been absolutely awesome at supporting her. She is now doing really well and is happy and well adjusted.

Don't let the school bully you into doing something you aren't comfortable with and trust your first instincts as a parent because they are usually correct. Every state school is different even though they all have a system they have to follow.

P.S. She will more than likely have to go to kindy when you arrive but it is expensive.

The states are all very different in what they call things, for example in Victoria we call the first year of school Prep while I think some other states call it kindy. We call pre-school kindy (kinder) so it's best to chat to someone from the state you are going to. Also the school age is different for each state although they are working at streamlining them. In Victoria kids go to school when they are 5, the cutoff date is 30 April but you are allowed to hold them back so most of them are 5 when they start school.

Kinder here consists of three year old kinder and four year old kinder and it's a bit of a waste of time if you ask me as the times are all over the place, so for example for three year old kinder you get two two hour sessions a week but one might be from 8:30 - 10:30 and the other from 2:00 to 4:00pm. Also if you child gets into three year old kinder they are not guaranteed a place at the same four year old kinder as kids have to apply all over again. But it's government funded so it doesn't cost a lot so most Aussies make use of it. But this will be different in each state so look into it.

Childcare / Daycare is usually full day, but you can choose how many days a week your child goes. It's expensive though between $50 and $80 per day but if you work / study you can claim half of it back. If you can find a good childcare this is a good option for a couple of days a week as most also follow a kinder type programme.

Then you get other options like private pre-schools (my daughter attends a Montessori pre-school) and kinders / daycare attached to private schools which can be very nice but expensive. You also get what is callled Occasional Childcare at Community Centers.

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/ South Australian Education Department

http://education.qld.gov.au/ Queensland Education Department

Thanks Sibella. Will look more closely once we know exactly what state and what area we are going to