A long road trip ....

OubaasDik

Since I had been away in Canberra for a few years and Mrs OBD was still in Perth.

Since she was , like, totally bored, since, like, I was the centre of her life like, she decided to do an MBA via a possy in Adelaide and her dissertation was accepted ("Thanks, OBD", I hear her cry, since I spent weekends proffredding her fessis, I reckon it's half mine).

Well she "dimminded" her scroll as soon as she was informed that she had graduated.

And then they nagged her to appear at the graduation ... she eventually gave in and the silly girl asked me to accompany her ....

And since I wanted to bask in the reflected glory of her graduation (remember the "proffredding"?), I took the road trip to Adelaide from Canberra, stayed overnight at Mildura

BREAK

and then when I left Mildura and crossed into South Australia, where I was confronted by what looked like a border crossing. I was stopped and searched, mainly for fruit - yep different states have different problems.

ENDBREAK

and met her in Adelaide.

Had a great time in Adelaide - lovely Central Market.

Puttered about and visited Hahndorf -

Really good wine there.

Went on to Melbourne ....

To be continued - (Wherein I meet Mara - lady of mystery) ... whoo, whooo

• Like 3

Now, now Oubaas, don't you dare put me in a bad light!

• Like 1

... so I can't mention you bellydancing in, discarding veils and cats in equal amounts?

... and then I wake up!

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 1

:whome::ilikeit: :ilikeit: :whome:

• Like 1

Just what I saw

Adelaide ....

I have been inclined to like Adelaide since forever .....

Some impressions ...

Adelaide is the only city in Oz as far I know that has NEVER had to break down buildings to widen streets. It was surveyed and laid out by a military man - yeah, yeah

Non-mainstream religions seem to thrive - on one free bus trip through the place I saw

1. Christadelphian Temple
  2. Anthroposophic Society Hall
  3. Druids Hall

It also seems to have gigantic Masonic Lodge ....

.. well it really does have a gigantic Masonic Lodge .... as in http://www.santfreemasons.org.au/content/overview

And like 90% of Australia - half of the inhabitants are selling the other half overpriced coffee-flavoured drinks .....

Would I prefer to live in Adelaide to living in RSA - well "F**K YEAH" - and I wouldn't mind living there anyway

Any city that has these http://www.rundlemall.com/about/rundle-mall-pigs.shtml in the centre is good.

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 1

I'll definitely have to plan a trip to Adelaide to see the pigs - so cute! :)

I was a real tourist my first day in Canberra taking photos of the statues of the sheep in the City! Loved them! :)

Hmm - I haven't seen those sheep ....

... and I'm back again .....

Just to mention Hahndorf again - it's a bit of a tourist trap, based on a village set up by German immigrants. Many businesses have German names and historically, the area (South Australia) is the only region that was settled without convict labour.

But back to the trip to Melbourne.

We were in about 7 minds as to which route to take, ranging from going through Bendigo to hugging the coast, but we decided that since we had rooms in Melbourne booked for that night to just travel the shortest way.

I was enjoying the trip until we got to Ararat, which is a beautiful town, btw - very green and old town buildings all plastered and painted a blinding white.

On the way out of Ararat to Ballarat, we found the direct road closed with a sign that just said "Diversion" and an arrow pointing off to the left. That was the only sign there. There were people manning the sign, but not too helpful, so we eventually shoved off to the left, wondering whether there would be more signs to at least get us on the rest of the diversion, but no.

Luckily the wife had her iThing with her and was able to pull up maps and we saw a possible route so we took it. Since we looked like we knew what we were doing another about 6 cars followed us .....

So we zipped along with a tail like a comet behind, until the Oumies said "Turn right" and we were on a dirt road, with our tail - I was enjoying this since I was in front and really going nicely - all the other cars dropped way back (shows my Suzuki can outrun a Jag).

Got back on the highway and 10 km further on the same thing - Blast!

So off we go again ... trailing our comet tail behind us and again we get onto the highway, and 15km further we come to the scene of an overturned truck with its cargo all over the road and a guy standing with a sign that says "SLOW' on one side and "STOP" on the other. He directs us back about 2 km where we turn off on another dirt road and eventually "bekreep Ballarat from be-after".

Another nice town - not as nice as Ararat, but nice.

We looked for fuel there since I HAD to have Shell, since I have a lease car and a petrol card from Shell - which was a bad choice on my part since every scond "servo" is Caltex, but Shell is thin on the ground and we find one. It belongs to the local taxi association, but we can fill up there AND a pretty young lady (yeah, I noticed, I'm a sexist, sue me) offers to do the honours of filling up. I was shocked, I tell you - shocked. Anyway to stay in practice I thanked her, but refused. I think she was there to help out the taxi drivers - some of them looked like thy came with the First Fleet .....

So on to Melbourne.

... To be continued - in which OBD meets the unexpected Melbourne J-hook-turns and gets ripped off by a parking garage - $13.50 for 18 minutes - they WERE extracting the urine .... :angry2:

TIP when travelling make absolutely sure you have a GPS / iThing / Android phone that can pull up maps. We would have been lost without ours. Make sure it has plenty of data allowance - maps are expensive. Take a fancy charger in the car like I did - it fits in the cigarette lighter - called a "power outlet" in my Suzuki and has a USB port on the other side to charge the phone. Using a phone as a GPS can be VERY draining on the battery - I reckon with out that charger we would have had a dead phone within about an hour.

True, we wouldn't have died from exposure / hunger / thirst, but it was super convenient.

• Like 1