School start date

Kanniewagnie

Ok, I'm starting to freak out here. Husband resigned today!!

We will fly to Perth on 25 Jan 2015.

How on earth am I supposed to decide on a state primary school if I do not know where we're going to stay? Let's say we decide on an area only Mid-Feb, and start looking for a school in that specific area, will the school still allow me to enroll my two children a month after school has started? Or can I now start to search online for schools and start to correspond with the headmasters, but when will their schools close for December?

Breath in, breath out...

Don't worry about it. State schools are obliged to enrol children in their catchment zone irrespective of when they arrive, as there is an obligation on parents and the state to educate children. It will be slightly inconvenient for them but they will simply put your children in a class with space or make space.

It is slightly worrying that a fair number of schools are over capacity.

We are experiencing that with our move to Brisbane, our local state primary school is very good but keep on reducing their catchment size to keep numbers under control. While we will live close to that school the enrolment area has been reduced so our house now actually fall within another schools catchment. Slightly irritating as they will only accept her if there is space in the class for next year but I know that I can enrol her in the catchment school in January if the closer school can't accept her

Following on to what Sunnyskies says, if you are in the zone the school has to take you, regardless of their capacity - at least that's in Victoria. Some schools will try and push back though.

I found the primary school far more open to communicating via email, as oppose to the high school who seemed to have a "wing it" attitude which I found quite alarming. I am still battling every time I have to deal with their admin dept and have an overwhelming desire to go in there with a machete. But the school is great and my daughter is happy, so I bite my tongue and smile sweetly.

You have a few more weeks. Look at a few areas, look at the websites for the schools as many of these are extremely comprehensive, otherwise email the school, explain your situation and ask if they can at least send you a brochure. Once you have chosen an area, communicate with the school again while you hunt for a rental, keep them in the loop as they also have admin procedures to go through.

Our primary school was extraordinary accommodating. Our son has had an amazing five months there and I am so happy with him. With my daughter's high school, while the admin seems to be on an incompetent power trip, the teachers were super, and focused on settling her educationally as well as socially.

The first few weeks is hell, especially when you are so worried for the children, don't know how things work, the things which are so obvious to everyone else just fly over your head and you are left bewildered and panicked and very very alone. It will pass very quickly so just keep pushing through it will be worth it.

And when it gets to much, come onto the forum and have a little moan. Saved my sanity sooo many times,

• Like 1

Don't worry about it. Start researching online, maybe check out www.myschool.edu.au which although controversial gives information on schools in a certain area and their Naplan results which definitely assisted me in my school search.

Also www.bettereducation.com.au where you can search for the the top 100 schools in Perth for example.

Not sure about WA but most schools here close around the 16th December, private schools earlier and they open again at the end of January.

Once you get here and drive around suburbs and speak to locals you will get a better idea of schools. As said before the school will have to take you if you live in the catchment area. My kids started school in August after spending six long weeks at home with me. Well the one did, the other one went from school in the UK to kinder in Australia.

Edited by Sibella