School Uniforms

Kanniewagnie

Hi,

Will I be able to use the children's white school shirts, grey school pants and black school shoes? I guess different schools also have different colour and design uniforms, but in South Africa quite a lot of Primary Schools have the white and grey theme. Do you suggest I bring it over? Currently, only the green jerseys and blasers have the school weapon on.

On average, what can we expect to pay for a school outfit, and do the kids go to school bare-foot or are they expected to wear shoes?

Thank you.

Edited: (more input required regarding to Perth-regions)

Edited by Kanniewagnie

Same principles across the country regarding school uniform.

Primary school children in the state system don't wear the grey and white (private schools do but it depends on the school). Girls wear a loose fitting tunic in summer and on sports days (once or twice a week) wear pull on shorts or a skort (shorts with a front piece that makes it look like a skirt) and the school polo top (generally a coloured top with the school logo on it). Boys wear pull on shorts and the polo top every day. Winter the shorts change to pull on longs or trackie pants for sports days and girls can wear a winter tunic with a long sleeve polo top underneath. Most schools have a base colour of navy blue, green or maroon, which will be the colour of the shorts and a coloured polo. Most schools have a uniform shop where you can buy the uniform, but depending on the area you can often go to the local state school outfitter and pick up the uniform there. The school may also sell second hand uniforms. Usually the school website will tell you where to get the uniform from and may even have a price list on it.

School shoes are generally black so bring those along. School shoes are pricey! You can get school shoes at Target but probably worth getting a new pair before you come over - it was one of the things that I said I should have done when I bought the children their first Clarks school shoes and each pair was close to $100. Can't comment about whether school shoes are optional in WA but my children have always had to wear their shoes to school. I suspect it is a health and safety issue. Some schools do insist on lace ups for girls.

When we came over 6 years ago I think it cost about $450 per child, but that included school bag, art smock, library bag, hat and I think was only for summer uniform. Private school outfits cost a lot more.

Edited by Sunnyskies

I brought the school shoes and was so relieved I hadn't managed to buy new ones when I was told that they all just wear their takkies everyday, with no prerequisites as to style. That's the govt primary - high school is lace up black leather only, no baby dolls.

Ask about a second hand uniform shop and if they say no, check with someone else. I was told no, only to find out there was one and I could have saved a FORTUNE!!

Uniforms are expensive, so prepare yourself for a nasty shock.

School uniforms are very expensive, especially private high school, I'm still recovering from that - I think I spent around $600 and bought some stuff second hand! Although if you buy biggish when they go to high school it should last a while as they don't grow that fast anymore.

The state primary used runners (trainers) as school shoes which was a pain as no matter what brand I bought they never lasted. They also had second hand uniforms for sale in the uniform shop.

Both private primary and high schools wear black school shoes (both girls wear baby dolls now) - bare feet are not done here and I expect in Perth as well as it gets very hot there. I was actually told off once because my toddler wasn't wearing shoes in a hotel restaurant once (she hurt her toe and refused to put them on - I should've asked the waiter to try and put shoes on a screaming two year old!).

I once bought good quality leather school shoes online at David Jones when they had a sale, it was 50% off all sales items and surprisingly school shoes were on there so it was a bargain. So it pays to shop around and look at the more expensive stores like Myer and David Jones when they have stuff on sale.

I've also bought very cheap school shoes at K-Mart once and they actually lasted quite a bit longer than I expected so it might be worth it in the beginning when you are still finding your feet. Stores like K-Mart and Best and Less offer certain generic uniform items as well.

Also ask some of the parents if your school has a second hand uniform / books page on Facebook, both my kids primary and high school have these and I've just bought most of my 13 year old's books for next year on there at a fraction of the price.

Also if your kids are at private school and you have to buy stationery - I missed the cut off date for our stationery order so I went to Officeworks, gave them the list and they put the order together at 20% less than what I would've paid at the school supplier. They messed it up at first but then when I went back she apologised and fixed it up so might be something to look at.

Edited by Sibella

School uniforms are very expensive, especially private high school, I'm still recovering from that - I think I spent around $600 and bought some stuff second hand! Although if you buy biggish when they go to high school it should last a while as they don't grow that fast anymore.

Huh!

I remember going back to SA from Zambia in the 60's and my parents buying me a school shirt. Dad says "get it big so it'll fit for a year or two" - that was in Grade 2

I could still wear that same shirt in Std 6 - it was old, worn and grey by then, but it still fit.

Thanks Dad, I can still remember wearing it to school in winter and the sleeves hung 20 centimetres over my out stretched fingers, while the tails hung out my shorts - Some fathers should be charged for child brutality. No wonder the other kids thought I was a freak. ;)

• Like 1

Haha OubaasDik I don't mean that big!! My daughter would kill me if I made her wear her dresses below the knee, as they were when I bought them. So I had them altered and will take them down later if need be.

• Like 1

Target and Kmart stock school uniform basics in January - shorts and skorts in plain colours (green, navy, maroon). Also sneakers, school shoes, socks, plain collared shirts, plain polo shirts, sun hats in school colours etc. Although state schools have a set uniform they tolerate slight variations such as a plain navy polo shirt instead of the the navy school polo shirt with the badge - particularly in primary school.

Don't stress about uniforms for state schools as they are not strict like RSA schools. Uniforms and hair cuts are not policed at state schools and you will be shocked to see boys with hair to their shoulders in primary school. To get an equivalent feel: imagine your child is going to school camp. They have been told to wear sneakers, navy tracksuit pants and a blue polo shirt. So each child rocks up in all colours of sneakers, navy pants where some are dark and some are lighter, some have pockets some don't and the same with the blue polo shirt. This is considered to be fine and if you are asked about uniforms at school you just say that it is beyond your budget at the moment but you're working on it and they will understand and give you leeway.

Of course private schools are a different matter although i have refused to buy the sports socks and have yet to be asked why my kids aren't wearing them.

Oh and school shoes are compulsory. Maybe in the outback or far north queensland there are some small schools who take their shoes off but kids would be expected to arrive and leave in shoes.

I got my son's kindy/state primary schools gear at their own uniform shop on site. I bought all the basics (hat, rucksack, chair bag, raincoat, cardigan, art smock, etc), plus the summer shirts, shorts, sports gear and socks for $220. As I see it, I will only have to buy long trousers and shirts when winter comes. Bargain!