Like a hamster on a wheel

SDTCPT

Hi guys,

Just joined yesterday and have been reading some of the other posts.

Driving back from my dad' birthday party on Sunday my wife brought up the topic of moving to Aus again (we have talked about going off and on for a couple of years now. Her brother is in Bunbury WA on a PR visa. We went over last year for a visit over the December holidays) If we could I think we would aim for WA, but Aus is a massive place. Like the topic says, my thoughts have been going like a hamster on a wheel...

I am currently working as an accountant for a tourism firm (BTech Cost and Management Accounting, SAICA articles (4 years), Member of SAIBA with BAP(SA) designation and currently studying CIMA) and my wife is a Civil Engineering Draughtsperson (6 years experience and she has just completed a Multi-Disciplinary Draughting Office national diploma, (just waiting for the final results)).

I have been thinking non-stop about the possible move now since then and I am thinking about using a migration agent (Stephen from MOA, looks like a good option).

Any feedback you guys in the know have about, opinions of using an agent or not, the whole emigration process, and the current jobs market for accounting/bookkeeping and draughting related jobs would be welcome (maybe they put a brake on the hamster wheel or they might just give him Red Bull...)

Cheers

My two cents - if you have anything not straight forward, seriously consider using an agent. We used Stephen and he was fabulous!!

Not sure of job market yet, but am starting to hit it myself, so will be watching this post very closely.

Ours was a roller coaster - 1 year from conversation to final move. While homesickness is an issue, I don't regret our decision at all!

Best of luck. You've come to the right place.

Worth booking a consult with Stephen just to get a heads up on where you stand and which of your skills would be better to use for migration purposes and what visas you qualify for along with any restrictions. After that using an agent or not will be up to you and depend a lot on personal circumstances. Hard to know what jobs are actually in demand it is so changeable. When were you thinking of moving cause that may also influence job availability? As to where to move to having family to give you a head start can be a great help but of course depends on how you get on with them. If you have kids you would want to minimise the moves you make but if it is just you two nothing to stop you starting in WA and then moving.

Hi from another accountant in Cape Town currently in the process of applying for a 189 visa :D

I have to admit, I am not worrying about job prospects ( perhaps not a such a bright idea :unsure:) at this stage of the game. My personal opinion on the matter is that the conditions in the job market when you are thinking about applying are perhaps not going to be the same as when you land , which will be quite some time from now, even with a speedy application. You could end up with regrets if you don't at least apply for the visa if you qualify points-wise. You do after all have 5 years in which to make the final trip over once the visa has been granted, and so much can happen in that time in terms of job opportunities.

I am using an agent ( Reuven / Monica at Migrate2Oz, whom I recommend with no hesitation ) mainly as I feel this is such an important step, and I want as much guidance as possible. It also takes away some of the work, although gathering the paperwork needed for a self employed accountant that the ICAA required for my skills assessment was quite intensive and time consuming!

All the best and hope to hear positive updates soon!

Hi SDTCPT,

If you are going to use an agent, Stevo of Migrateaus is probably your go-to bloke. He has offices in Ct but is more likely to be found on the beach somewhere! :jester: :jester: :jester:

Hi SDTCPT. I have my 189 visa and my family and myself are flying on 2 Feb 2015 ... one way! I am also an accountant (BCompt, CA articles - no board so not a CA). I used Reuven at Migrate2Oz and recommend them wholeheartedly! I felt exactly as EmNew said above. Our visa was straight forward but I knew with an agent I wouldn't make any stuff ups and delay the process. I have no job lined as I have just got my reume back from Roland (Resume Solutions) but I am not worried. Makes sense to me that you need to be in the country. You guys both sound like it will be a straight forward process but even when you use an agent you still have documents to collect which is time consuming, especially while working. My advice, if the cost isn't too much, is use an agent and you know things will happen. Every time Reuven told me something was about to happen - it did! it took about 9 months from when I decided to go to getting the visa. Was tiring with collecting the info and filling in forms so if I think back now and if I had to do it on my own I think I would have burnt out. Anyway, good luck!