Arrived and settling… the rollercoaster continues

MyTimeNow

It's been almost a week since I posted and as much time since I arrive I Australia. So here’s my story of the first few days…

Despite being forced to pay R800 for being 1kg overweight on my luggage, the flight to Sydney was only half full, so I had a seat open next to me. Passport control and customs was a straight-through and the connecting flight to Canberra was so quick it’s hardly worth a mention!

Day 1 (Wed 26 Nov) was very productive. Picked up bank debit card for the account I had opened online. Very quick and easy. Heads-up though… the card I got isn’t a Visa/Mastercard. It just means I can’t use it to buy online, but I can use it in store etc. No issue, they just ordered me one. I also did Medicare and Centrelink, got a local sim card, and spent the rest of the day looking for rentals on websites. Using the bus was quite good – it works very well, on schedule, clean etc. But it took me forever each time to work out which bus and route I needed!

Day 2 (Thur 27 Nov) had me up early for the first rental inspection time slot I’d booked. It was a tiny place and having all the other people interested in the rental being there at the same time was a little weird for me. I very quickly realized I would have to up my budget to find a place that I’d feel more comfortable in, but also stressed because I realized I couldn’t be picky because I was a foreigner and don’t currently have a job.

I found a coffee shop and after 2 hours had booked more rental inspections. But was feeling very low – I didn’t know how I was going to manage with the buses, the rental inspection time slots that are 10 minutes long and 15 minutes apart, and I was worried I wouldn’t be accepted.

Long story short…. I made my way back to the city, found a used car dealership and bought the best deal I could. Hyundai Getz, 16500km on the clock, automatic and paid $8250. I could have probably found a better deal if I kept looking, and I hadn’t planned on buying a car until I found work, but knew this one was good for me. Having my own transport really lifted my spirits and I felt a lot more confident for the rental inspection I saw later in the afternoon. The rental agent was very helpful and friendly, and encouraged me to apply if I would be happy to pay a few months rent upfront – which I was.

Day 3 (Fri 28 Nov) – by lunch time, I had signed the rental lease! God is good – within 24 hours of me not seeing much light I had a car and a rental – all within 3 days of being in Australia. I am very blessed, knowing others have struggled more.

The days since then have been less frenetic and stressful. I’ve done car insurance, paid rego (only 3 months so far because 12 months was a whopping $900!). And did a little grocery shopping. I move to my new rental this Saturday. This week I’ll be buying a bed and fridge (which I didn’t bring from SA), and renting a couch and few other things until my container arrives in January.

What have I liked the least? Probably the nervous and stressful feeling in the first 2 days, but this is me more than Australia! I knew finding a rental would be the biggest thing initially, but I didn’t realize how stressed I’d get when the possibility of me not finding one became real. But it worked out in the end J

What have I liked the most? The fact that stuff works… if the advert/website/person says X, then that’s what it actually is. And that people have been so friendly and helpful and patient. I’ve also felt very safe wherever I’ve gone - just as I has expected!

Would I have done anything differently? Probably brought less stuff in the suitcase… there’s stuff I really don’t need and they could’ve gone in the container. I would have also changed by Vodacom voicemail before leaving SA to tell callers I won’t be using the number and to email me – it’s proved to be near impossible to do from Australia, so I’m just leaving the contract to run till it reaches the cancellation date. #IHateVodacom

Good luck to those coming over in December… you will not be disappointed, but don’t underestimate the fact that the rollercoaster doesn’t stop when you leave South Africa J

• Like 13

Well done to you. Sounds like despite your stress you are on your way. I arrive in January and have the same worry about securing rental....I need it to get my daughter into the local state school within a week or so of arriving.

Do you mind me asking what bank you settled on and why. Also was applying for a credit card with them not an option or did you just opt for debit and realized after a credit card needed to be set up?

You said that offering to pay up front for a few extra months helped with signing the lease (is the typical, first and last month or weekly deposit). Was it a long lease term (year or less?).

Glad you felt safe, I was on new train line to Centurion last year and although marvelled at how smooth the train travel between there and airport seemed, I had other events that reminded me how many interactions could be life risking.

Hi bcbren.

For the bank I decided to use NAB. Their bank fees seemed a bit lower than the rest and had a good ATM coverage (one of the banks only seemed to have a handful of ATM's in Canberra and I didn't want to be driving around). As with most banks, I could open the account (transactional and savings account) online easily and start transferring money whilst I was still in SA (which I used cashkows for). You can't apply for a credit card online (as a migrant) that I could see, and when I went to the bank when I arrived, I asked about applying for a credit card. She said I could absolutely, but that one of their prerequisites was that I have a job. So as soon as I find work, I'll apply for a credit card. I still have my SA credit card, as I haven't closed my accounts there yet. So if push comes to shove I can use that. But so far I haven't had a need for a credit card. Just used EFT and EFTPOS for everything (paid for my car, paid for some furniture).

P.S. When you go to the bank, get a stamped bank statement - this will help with the rental.

For the rental - I didn't actually offer to pay a few months upfront, the agent asked if I was prepared to. When I met with Welcome to Canberra (the settlement office has a meet-and-greet with new migrants) she mentioned that they're not really supposed to say that. But I told the rental agent that I was willing to since I realised the risk the owner would be taking. I guess I would be sceptical myself. The owner asked for 3 months rental upfront, plus the bond (deposit) which was 4 weeks rental. I signed a 12 month lease. In short - this also works for me. I only have to pay rent in March again, which gives me a breather, and I know I'll have a place to stay for the next 12 months, giving me some time to settle and not worry about having to move again.

It may be worth your while to book a few rental inspections before you arrive (I used All Homes). They usually open up the rental inspection time slots a few days in advance e.g. on Wednesdays you can start booking time slots for Thurs, Fri and Sat. It also helped having a number of copies of my documents ready to give them (hard copies and electronic ones to email) - passport, visa, drivers license, bank statement stamped by the bank to prove I had the funds, and a reference letter from my landlord of my rental in SA. It may also help if you have a local reference if you know someone or perhaps from your employer.

Once you meet rental agents they may also let you know what else they have - some of them are actually quite nice and want to help, especially if they see you're organised, are professional, and won't be a "problem renter".

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi CandiceW,

You've done rather well.

One tip for rentals I was going to give is to download the application forms for the different agents from their websites in advance and fill in all your details, so if you happen to spot something you want, you just fill in the address and hand it in.

Another tip is to talk to the agent and get them to remember you (in a good way - not, for instance, by wearing your underpants over your head).

If there's anything you need, give me a shout - I am often at a loose end and can help.

• Like 3

Hi CandiceW,

Thank you for adding all the nitty gritty information like the price of your car and its mileage, the tips and advice, renting (thanks to OubaasD too). It puts it all nicely into perspective. I enjoy your posts and look forward to hearing more :)

• Like 1

Well done, CandiceW!

A tip for the future. When we arrived we secured a rental by paying 6 months in rent (the same amount that we BOUGHT our house in RSA for 13 years earlier :o ). As soon as hubby got a job - a week later - we "payed rent" back into our savings account every week. Doing this had two benefits: In the first place we replenished the savings (always good for a rainy day) and secondly we got used to NOT living on that money every week.

Good luck for the rest of the journey!

• Like 1

We offered 3 months rent in advance and did the same as OYBR - paid the money back into our savings every month.

Thanks for the tip on "paying rent back to savings" OYBR and qwerty - great idea to kick-start my savings once I find that job!

Its been a rainy day or two in Canberra, which I quite like because it cools things down a bit. Not great to drive in though, especially when the strong wind blows tree branches and debris into the road :blink:

I've managed to buy a bed - so at least I'll have something to sleep on when I move on Saturday :ilikeit: .

I thought I'd share a couple of things I've found different, in my first week in Australia:

• The bathroom light switches are on the inside of the bathroom. It must be safe otherwise they wouldn't do it, but the way they build in SA, you'd shock yourself after the first hot shower!
  • Most lamps I've seen have the switches just under the light bulb (like they have in the movies)
  • Perhaps different in other states, but in Canberra it seems that a red arrow at a traffic light does not mean that you can proceed with caution as it does in South Africa :huh: . It means you who are turning must stay put!
  • The prime minister and many of the other ministers are very visible to the public i.e. they seem to always be speaking to the media. In SA, I think I only heard from Jacob Zuma on the state of nation address and opening parliament. I must say I prefer more visible leadership).
  • And perhaps it's only the eggs I've bought but the yellow of the eggs are very yellow and rich! Nice.
  • And lastly, when people say they'll call you or follow up on something - they actually do. Very refreshing! :ilikeit:
  • Like 3

Yes, well when people say they will follow up, it's part of their job, and most do it. -(How disgustingly first-world)

When I deal with government offices I am always (pleasantly) surprised at how accommodating they are ....

• Like 1

BTW are you now "moved in"?

• Like 1

So I made it to my very own rental today . I've signed a 12 month lease and I'm looking forward to staying put for a while. This is the 4th place I've stayed in as many weeks (counting SA and Aus). It was nice unpacking my suitcases and finding a home for my things. The place is still very empty because my container only arrives in January- so I'm going to have to steer clear of the shops and not be tempted

Early night for me tucked into my new bed!

• Like 2