Crossing over....

Crossedover

Well we are truly living like squatters/campers/ nomads .... call us what you will! A day here, 2 there, 3 here again?!?! Not only is it unsettling it's chaotic! Trying to ensue you have each child's essentials.... Husbands too! But things are starting to tie up. It's the 8 th & we fly out on the 26th....

WOW crossing over. I can only imagine how it feels not having a home base where you can come and regroup. Good luck for these last couple of days. I am sure it will fly by so quickly!

Those last days are weird. You're floating, nothing really left to do, yet so much laying in the near future. I can just imagine how living away from your own house at this stage must magnify the feeling of having no base or roots. That's one thing all of us just have to go through, with the eyes on the prize - that day you board the plane. One thing I can guarantee you, the day you board the plane, you'll have lots of direction and have much new things to do to keep you from any kind of boredom or sense of drifting :ilikeit: .

Hi Crossingover

I can so relate. Everything happened with our house sale so quickly that we ended up having to move out 6 weeks before we flew.

Thankfully my uncle has a nice big house in JHB and he was more than accommodating for us, it was wonderful (and I think he enjoyed having a full house again).

Now we have been with my aunt for two weeks in Sydney and will drive up to QLD on Sunday to start setting down roots. I can't wait, we have been in "limbo" for two months and I can see the kids need stability... so looking forward (and nervous) to finding a house / school / job and all the other fun things:)

This time will fly by, enjoy every minute... one day you will look back on all this and smile at what you have acheived :blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

I can echo the sentiments from Alida and Tammy. My experience though, is that the limbo feeling continues a while after you land. You'll likely still move another once (from temp to permanent accommodation), and then some more change when your container arrives. This last one should be a more positive one (that I am still to experience myself as I await mine :)) - but hang in there... Every step takes you closer, and one day you'll look back on this roller coaster and realise how strong you were to make it through! Keep on keeping on!

• Like 3

Thanks Tammy, Thanks Candice....

Some advise to those thinking about what to do in the final weeks.... Move into a furnished apartment for the remaining weeks.... Be in one place if you can, this should hopefully give you some 'stability' in the chaotic end .... We are still moving. BUT we have flown to CT for a wedding.... My oh my it is a beautiful place. What an awesome bit of time out! It's clean and beautiful and the beautiful blue sky, grand mountain backdrop and sparkly sea sure do help.

I did ask my husband if we should "call back the container".... BUT dispute the VERY laid back attitude of my brother-in-laws we still are sleeping behind security gates in a fully alarmed house.

I have been looking at the Aussie news a bit and it is so good to remind yourself that we are not going to Eutopia!!! It's just a more managed society with more watchdogs and hopefully more real consequences!

2 busy busy weeks left... Already know we will not fit in all we want to ...this is despite being very organized. Some friends we will just not get good time to say good bye to them!

But I am back to fitful sleeping as I bad dream about the place we have rented etc....

But you know what?? I know we will be absolutely fine!

XxxxxX

• Like 1

Crossingover, not doff, just challenged... Hehe!

Believe me, I have been here for yonks, and I still have stuff on the forum that challenge me, especially forum members that don't want to play nice :whome:

NEVER!!!!not us

I'm shocked you could even hint that ..... :cry:

Edited by Mara
OBD, you are safe, cuddly teddy bears usually play nice!

In the chaos I have briefly lost track of time!! We are off in just over a week!! Wow!! It's REALLY real.... The Sydney hostage situation has spooked my kids.... But I kept pointing out how fantastic the police and support service folk were? I really do pray for the families and hostages involved.

Trying to agree with my husband as to where we will be spending the next 10 days and who we will be visiting.... It's really all very prickly!! Wish me luck..... ;)

• Like 1

My mother-in-laws place looks like a bomb has hit it... All our remaining stuff is scattered thru their home.... A few suitcases are packed and weighed and our room is cluttered with piles of things! Walking in there yesterday I was overwhelmed... We quickly grabbed a few things and escaped to the midlands for the week end.... Hardly fair for the folks! We have set aside Monday morning to sort and pack so that Christmas can be Christmas. I am beginning to wonder if we will have space/weight to take all our stuff!!

We have reached that stage where any 'downtime' is plagued with lists running through my head... Return this, phone 'x' to say bye, try a run by good-bye with 'y'... Close my bank account and spend all the remaining cash!?! :)

We did our first on line shop with Coles yesterday to be delivered the afternoon we arrive in Sydney.... So we should be able to just chill when we arrive on the other side... I did add 2 boxes of tissues to that shop just in case the wheels fall off! :(

But for now I am enjoying our short stay with our special friends at their farmhouse ... All seems normal... For now.... BUT Monday is coming!

• Like 1

We spent yesterday morning trying to cram all our stuff into 5 x 40 kg allowances.... My oh my it ain't easy!

The move out of our house saw me take a couple of boxes of bits and pieces which are still haunting me....

It seems like such a waste to just chuck bottles and bottles of toiletries... Fortunately if we put anything on the verge here it is gone in minutes!

I am really being an ostrich and putting my head in the sand.... I am still not packed and ready and tomorrow is Christmas Eve!

AND despite great advice to go alone, many family members and friends will join us at the airport on Friday.... Oh well, it is sure going to be like trying to beat the inevitable .... If you see 20 howling people at the airport on Friday.... Walk far away!!!

I can't believe In 3 days from now we will be on the plane to a Sydney.

Hope tomorrow allows me on focusing on the last odds and ends... All the ironing is done, forex in our pockets.....

• Like 2

Well I have been in the thick of the actual event.... We have now crossed over!! We landed on Saturday afternoon... My husband went to fetch our hire car and we caught a taxi to help with the luggage... $105.... Mmmm! But I did smile the taxi driver had his iPhone mounted on the windscreen close to his open window... Got to love it!

We arrived to our little home that we organized thru Air B'nB ... Don't judge Aus homes by the outside!! People focus on the inside it seems!! Our first coles delivery arrived when they said it would... Eggs squashed, bananas and mangos disappointing .... But one phone call and they refunded our account. Today we start the admin part of registering everywhere....and hopefully buying a car.... We will pay cash BUT try and finance some to start our credit record!

Well the arriving in Sydney was easy... Straight thru the passport control, clearly the vias are on the computers... No problems.... Then straight thru 'something to declare' .... They did not ask to see anything... We did not open one suitcase! So we had Bovril on toast for breakfast :) we told them we had medicine, home made nutty rusks. Etc ... They did not even seem to worry!

So we are here, it's hard not to feel like we are on holiday. We are loving the first world feel of it. Had fish and chips on the beach yesterday $110 for 6 people and 6 drinks!! But we made Bacon, tomato & broccoli pasta for $12... Which is close to what it would cost at home.... Oops no longer home..... So we definitely need to spend wisely!

Off to iron (ha ha fold) the washing!

Happy to be here, glad the physical monster is mostly behind us :)

• Like 4

Welcome to becoming Crossedover from Crossingover!!!

Hope it all goes swimmingly well for you guys!

Thank you Mara.

We arrived home to prepare dinner and the kids remembered that we did not have tomato sauce, so my husband said bye off you go to me....with big eyes I got in the car and ventured out. The very independent, capable me was rather cautious.... You would never thing I had driven for more than 20 years.... But with a bit of thought I got there and a few wrong turns I got home... Yippy!! Small things become big things... But the thought of driving across the river to somewhere south is OUT! ( for now!)

XxxX

Despite opening bank accounts over the internet we spent a good 2 hours in the bank this am getting everything sorted out. Tomorrow we are hoping to sort out our drivers license and our medi care...

• Like 1

Welcome home, Crossedover, and liking your appropiately changed name !

Ooh yes, I so know that thing about small things being big things during that first few weeks. I was cringing and hiding behind my verbally eloquent hubby numerous times in public, afraid that someone might be nasty to me because of my blubbering search for words right when I need it the most, haha. I'm slightly jealous of english people coming over. Life must be a breeze. Only accent and lingo to adapt to. But I have to admit I have not found even one rude person yet. People are open and friendly and curious in a pleasant and fun way. They approach us with honest questions - even had a young shop assistant initiating a conversation with us because he recognised the accent, he came over 14 years ago as a kid with his parents. I just love people's stories :-).

And the driving !! I was shaking with nervousness when I had to get out on my own the first time. It takes hubby one trip with the GPS to find a place and then he's oriented for good. I have to find myself landmarks to spot and memorize. My self confidence was hugely boosted when I drove into town to the bank on my own and came back home with the GPS turned off, haha. But that was after a few trips of careful observation from the passenger seat. My sense of direction is still hugely impaired. We drove to Sunshine Coast over the weekend, but the directions felt so wrong !! At least hubby was behind the wheel, thank goodness.

Wow, you were organized with a Coles delivery after arrival ! Never thought if that. Brilliant.

May you be as pleasantly surprised with life here down under as we are.

Happy New Year... 2015... This time last year we were applying for our visa and now we are here.... We are sitting in the little living room of our rented place listening to the beautiful rain falling outside. It's a sound I love. We have now spent 5 full days in Sydney.

We have opened bank accounts (waiting for cards to come by post to our home), applied for drivers licenses (waiting for them to be delivered), registered with Medicare and with Centrelink but I am not too sure how that is going to help us but needless to say we have registered.... We take delivery of our car tomorrow and have insured it on line..... So far all is good. Still I am overwhelmed at trying to choose a suburb to live in or for my kids to go to school in....

But I do believe we can do it and for all of you on your way... You can do it too. Treasure the time you still have in sunny RSA, make 2015 count!

Xxx

• Like 2

Two weeks ago today we climbed on the plane to head to Sydney.... Having all our family and a few close friends there was hard but at least it is something I will remember.

We have traversed the northern suburbs of Sydney and driven by about 20 rental properties !! We are as confused as when we started on Monday!! We have seen some fantastic homes... In the wrong places and some scary ones so close to schools ... Typical! And converting a six months up front payment, since neither of us have jobs, is rather scary!

We are able to cook dinner for 5 for between $12 and 20 dollars pretty easily... Not huge portions but fine for us. If you keep it simple your rands can go pretty far!

What does amaze me is the stuff put out on the road for charities (anybody) to pick up. Today I saw gorgeous dinning room chairs... Ones I loved in Wetherlies.... Pity our trailer in the container... Great job opportunities to restore old furniture!!

Enjoying the beautiful views and only missing mrs balls.... And yet to see it in the shops!!

• Like 2

Welcome to the north of Sydney - You might find Mrs Balls at IGA in St Ives. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Yippy yippy found Mrs Balls.... Quite a find when lots of your meals are cooked using this old favorite.

We have been here just over three weeks now and I am able to find my way around a lot better. The money is now more familiar and I now know we're to find all the basics I need.

We have managed to secure a rental for the next 9 months and due to the lack of rental refences we have been encouraged to offer a few months rent upfront to secure the rental. Which we did so now we have a place to stay.... Only to hear that our container is going to be 3 weeks behind schedule! Mmmmm!

Today most the schools are opening up for the new year so we can finally see the schools on offer... This is one of the last remaining hurdles....

My husband had a good job interview this am so we are hoping and praying that he gets a job quickly...

Then in a few weeks time once the kids are settled and our boxes are unpacked I can look seriously for a job.

It's is really do'able guys.... It's beautiful here... And free to explore.....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

6 weeks in....

It's still early days and we still don't have jobs but we are really enjoying it. We heard of a Christian school 20 minutes from us and normally 20 min would have made me look elsewhere but I felt we should check it out... Well I sure am thrilled we did. We walked into the school and the staff were all in wall to wall meetings planning for the year and yet we were so welcomed... We spent 2 hours at the school being shown around and meeting 2 deputy heads.

Well the selling point for me was them being able to have all 3 of my girls... This was one of my most important prayers. The school continues to embrace all that we want for our girls. Thank you CCS!

We moved into our unfurnished rental 10 days ago.... So we are glamping.... BUT it's been 10 weeks since I have slept in my bed!!!!! It's time! BUT what we sure have learnt you really can live happily with so little. We have a fridge and washing machine.... Thank you friends and gumtree.

I really am glad that all our stiff is days away but really there is a lot to be said with coming with nothing. It's so easy to set up a home here. And there really is amazing stuff on the pavements... I would never have thought that I would be prepared to pick up stuff of the verge but some stuff is so tempting! But with 5 of us in a small car we really have not been able to.

6 weeks in and I can really say despite the obvious sacrifices I am so at peace with the decision we have made.

If you are still on your way, believe you can do it!

But our prayer remains for jobs, kids to settle further and for our family and friends back home... Or rather back in RSA.

But when you see the amazing beauty around us here you just know God is here... Certainly His country too. I am glad Sydney tops Durbs... Makes there less to miss.

Have a happy, progressive week everyone :)

• Like 3