Commonwealth support for studying at university

heidim

Does anyone know something about getting Commonwealth financial support for studying at university for students on PR?

I would also like this info. Interested in studying further (looked at degree & short courses) and the cost per subject for the degree is rather shocking :closedeyes:

Thanks Heather I know about HECS which has now changed to HELP. I'm specifically asking about commonwealth. I found some info at studyassist.gov.au but still not sure exactly how it works. Anyone who has applied for this before?

Commonwealth supported courses are certain courses that will automatically have reduced fees for PR holders and citizens. So with PR you pay the reduced rate but have to pay it up front as you don't qualify for HECS/HELP - which is paying off study fees through tax after you finish studying.

For example I am doing a Grad Diploma in Education at ECU for 1/4 of normal fees as it is a Commonwealth supported course, but still had to pay the fees upfront.

• Like 2

Thanks marikdp. So Commonwealth is course related? Some courses have Commonwealth, others not? How did you apply for it? And how long does it take to get approved?

Edited by heidim

It is course and university specific. For example at ECU and UWA my diploma is Commonwealth supported, but not at Curtin or Notre Dame. I was lucky that the course I wanted to study was supported, but I think if you wrote to the uni they may be able to give you a list of supported courses?

I applied normally (online), and only at enrollment had to fill in a special form to show I have PR and claim the reduced rate. When I received my invoice about 2 weeks later it showed that I owed the reduced fees.

So it is not something you have to specifically apply for, if you have PR and the course is supported you will get the lower fees.

• Like 2