Starting our long walk to freedom...

Kenton

Hi everybody,

I am Kenton, my wife is Bronwyn and we have seven children (two girls and five boys) ranging from 19 to 5 years old. We love South Africa and all that it can offer. Not to even mention how much we love our farm with fresh water, fresh air, goats, chickens, rabbits, dogs and so on… We do not want to leave SA.

However we are greatly concerned about our safety, our children’s future opportunities, the quality of the public medical services (we are not on medical aid). As I am 44, we realise that our window of opportunity is shrinking. We do not want to become pensioners here with zero options. We are thus facing a fork in our road; either embrace SA with all its faults and shortcomings, grow old here and just accept things as they are and as they decline or grab hold of our last opportunities for something better and reach for new horizons.

I have been doing IT consultancy and IT related project management for the last 12 years. Although I have had very successful contracts, I have not been able to establish financial stability. Living with a family of 9 in a country where poverty rules and the taxman wants more and more each year for less and less services has unfortunately brought us to this point of investigating immigration possibilities.

As we have never been to Australia we thought it best to start looking for contract opportunities that I can explore. During these explorations I will get a taste of the Aussie life while my wife and children continue in SA. Thereafter we will look into longer term arrangements.

So for now I am just interested in knowing what the required process is for me to find and place contracts. Any advice on where to search for these contracts and what to have in order will greatly be appreciated.

• Like 3

Most jobs are advertised on seek.com.au. Its a chicken/egg dilemma, where you will almost definitely need a Australian work visa to apply for jobs. Perhaps speak to one of the helpful agents on here like Stephen Dickson, for a free chat on where to start. In the mean time search for the topic "100 steps to move from RSA" or something like that. Start by collecting all your qualifications, as your skills will need to be verified. Send off for unabridged birth certs for the whole family, now. Read, read and read this forum. Sadly, its not a case of if you want Aus, but if it wants you. If you know what I mean, and its not only South Africans wanting to work here, the whole world does, so you compete with millions.

• Like 2

Hi Kenton and family - welcome to the forum ! May you have many happy hours with us in this cozy corner in cyberspace. First, you're doing the right thing. Very important (if you're a Christian), do it on your knees.

Second, I second Rozellem's advice. She nailed it. It does not need to be a painfull process.

Out of experience we know that it does happen that some finds and secures a job from South Africa, but it is not the rule. But I do want that for you, so may you be blessed in securing a good job from here, especially so that your family would not need to be split for too long a time, ideally, not at all.

Keep your cool and enjoy the ride !

• Like 2

Kenton, the only advice I can add to that already given is the fact that 45 IS THE CUT OFF AGE, for many of the Australian visas, so I would look at getting all your documents together and putting in an application BEFORE you turn 45.

• Like 2

Welcome Kenton,

Good decision!!!!

1. Have a read of this thread which will give you an overview of what lies ahead.

2. There are several visa options open to you

Temporary Work Visa (number 457)

Employer Nominated Scheme (number 186)

Regional Sponsonored Migration Scheme (number 187)

Independant Visa (number 189)

Skilled Nominated (number 190)

There are others which may be suitable but these are the most common.

3. While you may want to come over alone initially, the important thing to know is that the rest of the family must be co-applicants on your visa application as dependants. That means they will be granted the visa if you are succesful. They will also need to validate the visa within a few months after being granted it. This will entail all the family entering Australia prior to a predetermined date (normally one year after the date on the date on your medicals or police clearance certificate whichever is sooner). They can leave again and will then have 5 years to permanently take up residence in Australia. But they must make that initial entry.

4. It would be unwise to apply for a single visa for yourself and then try and add them to your visa some months later, as that process is lengthy and may extend the seperation process further than what you planned. The rest of the family being on your application does not adversily affect your visa at all so add them when applying.

5. Prepare yourself for the cost of the visa as you pay per person now. The cost of the ENS will be A$12320 (about R127000) for the visa only. That does not include skills assessment, medicals, or an agent of you use one.

6. Make contact with Stephen Dickson He is an agent on this forum that will give you a free assessment to determine if you are elligible.

Praying that you are successful. I truly believe that it will be best for the family.

Kenton, the only advice I can add to that already given is the fact that 45 IS THE CUT OFF AGE, for many of the Australian visas, so I would look at getting all your documents together and putting in an application BEFORE you turn 45.

The age limit was recently increased to 50. So you have a little time to play with.

• Like 1

Thanks Jordy, I stand corrected!