How "clean" is clean?..

Neels

:blush:

I must admit that I'm asking this with red face...

I am in the process of cleaning everything that will need to go into the container for our relocation. The problem is two fold - 1st I have no idea when we will eventually get a relocation company to do our move (because I'm going first and my wife and kids will follow as soon as their documentation is sorted) and so 2nd I have no idea how long the stuff will remain in storage.

So I clean everything, wash it dry it, vacuum it, blow with air, you name it. But now it will gather dust etc. I won't be here when it will be loaded to make sure it is clean enough. Therefore my question:

How clean should the stuff be? :blush-anim-cl: Anybody with some advice please?

Hey Neels, I just did the normal house hold weekly cleaning. Over and above that, I know the movers wanted all sneakers free of sand etc, all garden furniture free of grass, lawn over etc as well. Then appliances to be defrosted and dry as well. Unfortunately some of this type of cleaning can only be done closer to the actual move date. I just got cleaners in for the couches, and ran just about everything thought the washing machine the week before the movers came. I know some appliance stores can service your appliances and also give it a good clean, which may be an option to delegate tasks in your absence.

My movers gave me lots of docs with info on what to do, when they came to quote and happily answered any questions on email.

How clean? Well.... I (and the movers) noticed some dust bunnies under the couch they packed and the just kept packing... I think some of my sandles and shoes weren't spotless inside, but they packed them. I got the impression it was things like having grass in the lawnmower they were more vigilant of.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hey neels, I don't think they are going to worry too much about the dust. What they are more concerned with is mold, grass, mud and other organic traces especially on things like sporting and camping equipment.

Hey we brought 3 mouldy rusks, vegetable seeds which are still in our cupboard and some bird feathers in our container, all of which were in boxes that were opened by customs and the stuff made it all through.

Just make sure everything is as clean as you can get it, the storage company normally fumigates containers before final shipment anyway.

• Like 1

Our stuff turned up with a Daddy Long Legs spider under one cupboard. The removals guys in Oz just got out a can of insect spray and killed it.

Looking back our cleaning was complete overkill. If I was doing it again I would clean all shoes, garden equipment and bikes. Anything that had been outside and could have dirt or plant material on it. So furniture and household goods wouldn't need cleaning.

Do give yourself time to defrost and DRY the fridge and freezer properly (a couple of days. We didn't give it enough time and had to borrow towels to do the job.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I just wanted to be sure and rather not take any risks. The camping gear is almost as clean as when I bought them, okay and those things you use to play golf with, yeah those... ;)

I still have a photo of SWAMBO sitting on the carpet in the bedroom picking stones out of all out shoe's treads.

Watching this topic with great interest as we will be packing our house in a couple weeks.

I varnished all untreated wood (i.e. African Mask, Orthodox icons, raw wood ironing board legs :blush: etc.) and plan to defrost the fridge a week in advance, just in case. Probably forgetting something, or a lot, but .... :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

I am so over cleaning shoes and so many other things! My poor husband was scrubbing the bicycle types tonight!! I am told that Perth is quite strict ..... I hope that they don't charge us a fortune to fumigate .....

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Can anyone in Australia say how heavy they truly are on shoes. All of my shoes I've packed have not been "off road" / muddy / dirty etc. I've cleaned them as best I can.

Formal shoes obviously the soles get scuffed from wear but they're clean. That should be understandable?

Any advice?

I only have experience from going through airport customs on arrival. The first time I came to Aus I had takkies that had mud (quite a bit in my opinion) in the grooves on the soles, so I declared them. When the inspector saw the shoes and I answered that they had only been in the city he seemed irritated (but not rude) and said the shoes are fine. They were only looking for thick mud that could harbour living bugs etc. This is very far away from the written information I had seen at that point. Perhaps it depends a lot on the person inspecting your effects.

@ Magenta - I hear you about being over all the cleaning.....we left that kind of cleaning until the last minute, so make sure all was squeaky clean when they arrived yesterday to pack. So we cleaned from Friday night to Monday night non-stop.For shoe cleaning, they were scrubbed with soapy water, each groove was individually cleaned with a thin spike, rinsed and then we wiped down the soles with dettol. There was not a speck of visible dirt on them when we were done.

• 4 months later...

Good day,

Please can someone maybe assist me with what we are allowed in the container, I have a step ladder and electrical tools which is obviously not brand new and has some paint stains etc. which I am battling to get off, all the tools and ladder are cleaned and washed, will this be sufficient or will they hold them back on inspection? Thanks

Van Tonder Family, I replied to your question in another thread, but once again, paint stains is not a problem. What they are looking for is cobwebs, spiders, ground dirt, or any other creepy crawlies that are hiding... other than that, you should be okay.

Edited by Mara