Random

JaxBell82

Some questions that i cant seem to find the answer too, maybe using wrong search key words???

If you can help - thanks

Flight info

1- How much cash can each person have on them when travelling into Oz (Qantas)?

2- It states 30kgs per person can this be 2 pieces = 30kgs?

3- Can we choose seats or do we only find out on the day - i don't wanna pay extra, we family of 4 and wanting to stay together.

4- Headphone adapters, i have seen that it is best to get a good pair and then it was mentioned to get an adapter for the headphones so they can plug into the airplane jack, i saw at an AA travel shop at R70.00 each - anywhere else i can look as this seems rather expensive?

5- Will meals and drinks be provided or do we pay for this extra?

6- Any advise for the little ones, i have a 5yr boy and hoping he behaves (we flying at night) did you get anything to help them sleep or relax during the flight.

7- In my check on luggage i am wanting to put the kids stocking from Santa so they can get on Xmas day, would i be able to bring stocking filler stuff on the plane eg, play dough, kinetic sand, capsules that change colour of bath water etc

Once there:

1- Once we arrive, can we get a sim card from airport and what is the cost roughly?

2- Do i need to pay an admin fee when i register with Medicare (need to add every single dollar to my budget*)?

3- Do i need to pay an admin fee when i register with CentreLink (*)?

Will add as i think of more - i'm sure it will help others in my positions (Leaving in less than 2 months for the Gold Coast)- so much going on and just can't seem to find the answers to silly things. just wanna tick stuff off the lists!

• Like 1

So here goes:

1. You can have as much cash as you like, BUT YOU JUST HAVE TO DECLARE ANY CASH OVER $10,000 or you could have it confiscated.

2. With you in the cabin technically one bag per person not more than 7kg's per bag and it has to be small enough to fit in that case check thingy at the airport - if you've never flown, basically a small back pack of sorts. We had small back packs for each child that they could theoretically carry on their backs (but of course we ended up carrying those). For myself I had my handbag plus another back pack. If you booked through IOM then you should have 2 pieces per person for booked luggage. Otherwise absolutely no, only one piece per person. They will make no exception.

3. Your seats get assigned at check in. So get there early. Ask for emergency exit seats, it has more legroom. I told the lady at check in if she could get me emergency exit seats for our whole family I will write her a glowing review of excellent customer service. She grabbed a card from underneath her desk and told me to start writing. And we got emergency exit seats.

4. Yes, the flight is long, get proper headphones. Not sure where you can get adaptors, I'm sure the airport will have as well, but it may be even more expensive?

5. All meals and drinks are included in your ticket price. You can ask for as many drinks on the flight as you like. My daughter liked milk and every hour I asked the cabin crew for a cup of milk. They even have non-spill cups with lids for the little ones. The only problem may be snacks. They are limited as to what they have. So you may want to pack your kids favourite snacks for inbetween. They don't care what you take on board, it's only once you get off that you need to get rid of prohibited items. Also for liquids - all liquids that you take on board has to be less than 100ml, including water, perfume etc. They make you throw away your expensive perfume if it's more than 100ml.

6. We were flying with 2 & 4 year old at the time. Sleeping for them was no problem at all. We sat with a child between each of us, then you lift the arm rest so that they can lie with their head on your lap. They slept for several hours while mom and dad were extremely uncomfortable. But hey, it's all about the kids right? In their back packs I packed play dough, colouring in activities and a "mystery toy" (dolls with clothing nicely wrapped up in paper. Kind of like a going away - be a good girl present). They opened it up on the plane and it kept them busy for a while. I found that the movies on the plane did the trick for the 4 year old. They also have video games, so your 5 yr old should be fine.

7. They may have an issue with sand and stuff. They were okay with play dough for us. However, you have so little space to bring stuff, I wouldn't waste space on stocking fillers. You can get stocking fillers from K-Mart for beyond cheap. Only use K-Mart for stocking fillers, no one else is as cheap as them. Rather use that space for clothing or stuff.

1. Here they call it BOYD (bring your own device) for a pay as you go and sim card. Depending what time you arrive the shops may be closed, only eating places are 24/7. I wouldn't bother with getting a sim card the moment you land. You will be dead tired and believe me not have the energy to cue up for that. You can get it the following day. I see you're coming to QLD. What you may consider is if you have an Aus stop over since you can't fly directly to Brisbane, and you have enough time during your stopover, then one of you could go and get it during that waiting period. Of course if you have an international stop over it won't work. We got a RSA pay as you go, had enough money on it, put it on roaming so that we could sms the family that we arrived safely and that was more than enough. I think we only got a sim card two days later.

2. No you don't pay to register with Medicare on PR

3. No you don't pay to register with Centrelink on PR

Edited by Mara
Added answer for "cash on you"
  • Like 4

You can carry as much cash as you can manage, but have to declare if above $10k, but don't hide any in a bunny chow.

Check your ticket!

Check in online, you should be able to chose seats.

Better than $70 here

Yes, all drinks and food provided, unless your ticket is in the standing section.

Dope the rug rats, give the other people on the plane a chance to sleep.

Dump all that dodats in your main luggage

Yes $2 for SIM card and about $30 for recharge.

No

No

• Like 2

Definitely bring snacks for your child because you can't be sure what will be on offer. Drinks will be fine on board as they have almost everything.

Otherwise absolutely no, only one piece per person. They will make no exception.

This has changed, you are allowed as many pieces as you need, as long as the combined total does not exceed 30kgs and no single bag is over 23kgs. I flew Qantas from South Africa on Friday and had more than one checked piece of baggage, no issues, it's actually in the fine print when you book your ticket. One carry on bag, not exceeding 7kgs (though mine was 9kgs and it was fine, but don't chance it) and a laptop bag, they also make allowances for small musical instrument that fit in the overhead luggage (flute, violin etc), I brought my guitar with, was happy to gate check as per their policy, but they allowed me to bring it on the plane and stored it first class, which was very nice of them.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt, my parents flew in June and they refused to make exceptions. Personally I wouldn't take the chance. If you're one person flying then maybe they'll let it slip by, but if you're a family of four and you have multiple bags for each person they may take a different view. I wouldn't want to be at the airport repacking bags and leaving stuff behind. Just my personal view. If the fine print says multiple bags, then go for it!

Also don't figure that if you have 4 people traveling and you only have 2 bags that each of those bags can be even a bit over 30kg each.

Do not 'drug the rugrat' as suggested as sometimes medication can have the opposite effect and then you will annoy people who call kids rugrats even more than usual. But do bring a small amount of pain medication with you in case of ear ache, etc.

We used our normal ipod ear phones on the flights. No adaptors needed (domestic in Aus as the onws you grt are very bad) earphones you grt on the international part are good to use.

check in online 24h before the time. This way you get to choose seats before check in at airport.

Most decent headphones don't need adapters - I never use the ones the airline provides, they gross me out a little :blush-anim-cl: . Plus the sound quality can't compare... Just plug in and enjoy!