Carpentry Job oppurtunitie's in Melbourne

CoryVnCo

Hi all.

This is my first post but I have to ask.

Myself and my wife & kids are moving to Melbourne Dec/Jan. She has been granted a sponsorship visa and job which is such a blessing as at least 1 of us will have work as soon as we land. We understand it will tough the first couple months adjusting in.

I wanted to know which would be the best direction or any contacts where I might be able to get into the decking/Carpentry field in the city.

I am organising my white card shortly so I have that before I land. I also get sponsorship off her visa to work so all will be legal. Any response will greatly appreciated.

If there are any saffa surfers keen to hook up for a couple waves ill also be looking for a dawni partner! :ilikeit:

Thanks!

Not sure where in Melbourne you plan to settle but Cory, sorry to burst your bubble, you will not be doing dawn surfing in Melbourne unless you are prepared to travel at least 70klms to do so!

Have you looked into the usual job sites for vacancies? This is probably the most popular one in Australia http://www.seek.com.au/

Also, I see you are arriving December/January, please be aware this country shuts down in January, it is the holiday month, schools only re-open on the 28th January, so that is when it slowly starts coming alive again.

Evening Mara.

Thanks kindly for the reply!

I have been looking on those jobsites and just wanted to get a headstart on things.

70kms isnt so bad. Had worse hey! We were thinking mentone. Close to the water at least.

Ill upload my cv to some of those and see what comes about.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Hi Cory, Mentone is a lovely area, can be pricey, and yes, it is close to the water, in Port Philip Bay...

Good luck with the job hunting.

Mmmm, just thought of something, how about doing a google for "new home builders melbourne" and then check on their individual sites, or email them directly. You know homes here are mostly timber framed, so who knows, perhaps that will get your foot in the door to start earning $'s.

Cory,

My husband surfs and his biggest complaint about Melbourne is the time it takes to get to the waves. 70km may not seem far, but when you have to work your way through suburbs and can't drive like the clappers it takes its time.

You really have two choices, either east or west of Melbourne itself which as Mara points out is on a bay (ie flat water):

1. Mornington peninsula - you can live in Frankston (which is affordable) and be very close to the beach either at Frankston or down the road on the peninsula proper. Real surfing has to happen on the wild side of Port Phillip Bay or on Phillip Island - where the surfing is really good. If you take this option you will be looking at working on the new developments in the outer eastern suburbs - not too far to drive to from Frankston. Alternatively you can live in Narre Warren and be closer to work and have a 40 minute drive to the beach. Lots of tradies live in Narre Warren. Also, lots of tradies surf, so make sure you connect with the local surfers and you will be sure to make some valuable work connections.

2. Torquey - really close to Bells Beach, or if you want a sligthly more reasonable commute you could live in Geelong, then you have 40 minutes to the beach and 40 minutes to the city or the outer west suburbs where there is also a lot of developments. There are other little villages along this side of the coast that you could live in, if you like a more rural lifestyle. Torquey is the home of Ripcurl, and has a great factory shop where you can wetsurfs at the end of season at great prices. IMO the well known surf towns get rather overrun in the summer months and can be difficult to find parking etc - some people like that.

Water is cold. Guys tend to surf in 6-7mm wetties in winter and 5mm in early summer and autumn. My husband surfed in the Cape so he is comfy in 5mm in the colder months. Baggies January to March (maybe April). While I know quite a few visitors have picked up wetsuits at the Ripcurl factory shop, upgrade your board in South Africa before you come over. Boards are expensive here.

The reality is that Melbourne is not like Sydney, it doesn't have the Northern Beaches where you can grab your surfboard in the morning and run across the road for a surf and still be at work by 9am. Also be aware that tradies work different hours, starting at 7am but knocking off by 3pm, so lots of tradies go to the beach after work. An alternative to surfing is kite surfing, you can do it on flat water or in surf and so have more options in terms of where to go.

Hi there Sunnyskies.

I found similar info about the surfing online.

I did like the option of kitesurfing, never done it before so that might be an option!

I still believe Im going to start studying my trade as soon as a I land. Will take 2yrs but it will pay off once its done.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Really appreciate it!