The next chapter of our lives

Leeloo44

Hi there!

Firstly thank you all for an informative forum. My husband was lucky enough to be offered a job in Melbourne on a 457 visa starting in March 2015. Unfortunately, we have actually never been to Aus nor do we have particularly close family or friends, so this forum is even more important to us, as the information available is providing us a guide in our research and preparations. In the meantime, we have been through the rollercoaster of emotions of telling our family and friends, and being suckered into second guessing our decision a few times.. but we are on the path to Australia! No going back now!

In our baby steps of preparations, can any one perhaps give some guidance with respect to the choice of medical insurance over there? There are so many companies, but we know nothing about any.. i.e. which is reputable? which is the best? We are looking for medium cover for my husband, myself and our baby girl of 3 months old.

Secondly, any votes of confidence on moving companies? I called out Bayleys for a quotation today, but are there any others that I should call?

I have a couple more questions regarding the process on which to obtain PR, but I will save those for another day :)

Thanks a ton!

Regarding moving companies: We are going to use Execumove. Google them for info. Everybody I know personally who moved to Oz, used them, without any complaints.

We are about to apply for Bupa family cover. Choosing a medical honestly made my brain hurt. You really do have to look at the cover details, so I would advise getting quotes from each one (try to make sure you are choosing the same level - ie basic, medium, diamond stars, etc) and then go through the fine detail. Are you planning on more kids? Do you wear glasses? Are you expecting to pay for orthodontics? Is the orthodontics cover even worth it? When does cover kick in.

Keep in mind also that there is a standard health case system which is pretty good. After the last time, I swore that if any of my loved ones were admitted to a government hospital in South Africa, I would shoot them myself rather than watch them suffer. Don't quite have the same concerns here.

Regarding moving companies, read the reviews of the people who have unpacked, as it is only at that stage that you truly find out what went wrong at the packing process and it's usually a nasty shock. Execumove sounds like a really good place to start.

Hi and welcome!

We are also moving to Melbourne on a 457, I start work as soon as our visas are granted.

We got quite a few quotes for relocation! But we know of people who made use of Sally (sally@execumove.co.za) and her team from Execumove and other friends who used Noelene (njacobs@crownww.com) from Crown. Both are very happy with very minor mishaps and breakages. We met with Noelene once and they seem very professional.

With regards to medical cover - have a look at BUPA for sure, their Platinum cover compares with some of the top schemes in RSA but not nearly as expensive.

http://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/campaigns/international/working#homesection

Medibank and Bupa are the 2 biggest medical covers,

Bupa is quite a lot cheaper but you need to use one of their contracted private hospitals or you will be paying in, where as medibank doesn't have that condition.

Medibank also gave us a medical cover certificate (457 requirement) without having to start paying so we saved some bucks at the start, however, i have done some looking around and Bupa has a lot of hospitals on its books, including all the hospitals around us, so we will be converting to Bupa after the kid arrives and saving some $$$.

There has recently been changes at the medical aids relating to the things covered on the various plans, for a 457 you need to be on their specific 457 plan, for everything else you need to be on the Top Hospital plan.

For 2 adults i did the maths and found the extras to be a complete (im still fuming) waste of money, so we are sticking with the hospital only, and saving the extra making us self insured for extra's

Leloo44, I have nothing to add to the above, I just wanted to welcome you to our corner of cyberspace!

...For 2 adults i did the maths and found the extras to be a complete (im still fuming) waste of money, so we are sticking with the hospital only, and saving the extra making us self insured for extra's

Just a note on this. 457 cover and normal cover may differ (or maybe not with extras) but something I have found with extras is that it is better to get a policy that covers a % of the benefit rather than "set benefits".

For example, say you get a quote for $400 for general dentistry for you and $1300 for a crown for your partner.

Some extras policies will pay you a % of the general dental bill but only a "set benefit" for major dental. So:

- 85% of $400 = out of pocket $60

- $610 of $1100 = out of pocket = $490

So total out of pocket = $550 (I think BUPA operate similar to this)

Some extras policies will pay you a % of the general dental bill AND % of bill for major dental as well. So:

- 85% of $400 = out of pocket $60

- 85% of $1100 = out of pocket = $165

So total out of pocket = $225 (my medibank policy operates this way)

The medibank policy also pays the 85% on more things like remedial massage, physio etc. It makes it worth using when you get 85% back...otherwise you don't bother when set benefits only. For example a 1 hour remedial massage costs us $11.50 out of pocket.

Without spending much out of pocket I've managed to get $1600+ extras paid out this year for me alone...not counting my wife and kids. Wearing glasses and liking massages helps though. :)

Edited by Fish

Thank you all so much for the comments and advice.

I'm definitely going to do some more research wrt the medical cover and make sure we are getting the most for our bucks!