SADC Driver's license

rogue777

Hi everyone

This is my first post. Thanks for having a Namibian on the forum, this is much appreciated. We moved to Adelaide 5 months ago after finally being granted our permanent visas in January and this is waiting 5 years for it. Talk about being patient! South Africans can just convert their driver's licenses to Australian licenses but no-one understands the concept of SADC and we had to do a theory test and busy now doing the CBT through a driving school and this is after having our licenses for more than 15 years with impeccable records! This is so frustrating and expensive too.

Does anyone know of Namibians that moved over to Australia and do we really have to go through this process to get our Aussie licenses?

I must admit we are finding it tough here. Maybe we were a bit naive in thinking it would be easy since we lived here for 2 years before when we were students, but it is not. The job market in South Australia, and specific Adelaide, is quiet and if you don't have Aussie work references, it makes things more difficult.

Gosh, sorry for the melancholy. One of those days, I think.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

Heya,

From my understanding the conversion of licence id dependent on the country of issue of the licence, RSA was only added recently, so unfortunately unless you have a licence from a country that is on the list you need to do the tests again.

As i understand it you dont need to get P plates again you can do the tests and directly get the new licence though so at least a bit better

Welcome to the forum and to aus Rogue777!

Hang in there mate, emigration is not for sissies, you did it so clearly you are not one! Things will improve, it took 4 long years for my ship to start levelling out, so just keep chugging along. Dont forget to enjoy the scenery along the way!!!

Thank you for the inspiring words. Yes, definitely not for sissies.

• Like 1

The automatic conversion for Saffers is only a new thing, maybe a year old. When I arrived we also had to do the theory and prac test again. I agree...very daunting when you have been driving for 25 years to redo it all.