Is cost of living really that high in Aus

Pietnaude

Wow, thanks to everyone for all the nice posts. It is really informative and althought I can see many different views and meanings I am still looking forward to a much better lofe in Aus. We thought that we are the only "mallgoers" out there but after reading all the threads it seems the normal thing to do if you live in the city. It's actually really ironic because we have some of the best zoo's in the world. Unfortunately we cant go there because the crime is out of control. Well, now I just uave to do the IELTS test on Saturday and then the ball can really start to roll..... I only need a 7 so I think we should be ok... Is there anybody who can tell me what they were asked? I know it wont be the same but it's just an idea to see how it's pitched. Please feel free to mail it to me as well. Naude.pieter@gmail.com

• Like 1

I just want to remind those of you already in Oz to please pray and spare a thought for SA. I thought that as you were talking about spending time in malls as a weekend 'hobby', this is what it has been reduced to for those of us still here.

Received this mail today, I know that the facts are correct as I have read many of the individual stories myself over the last few weeks.

Family and Friends,

Please pass this on to your loved ones and anyone I have forgotten or emails I don’t have.

Makes me sick to my stomach to know that all this is happening in our city ( no area untouched) and in places which we all thought should be relatively safe. Cavendish on high alert , said to be next area suspected on being targeted.

Please be careful, don’t go alone to places and KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN.

The Cape Town Mall Scoreboard thus far...

* September 21: A jewellery store at the Somerset West Mall was robbed by seven men.
* September 23: A woman was robbed outside Canal Walk; she was dragged almost 20m by her attacker’s getaway vehicle.
* September 28: Altech Auto page in Blue Route Mall was robbed.
* September 28: Four men attempted to rob Zewenwacht Mall.
* October 1: A 65-year-old man was robbed off his jewellery at the V&A Waterfront.
* October 2: Five men held up a jewellery store in Franschhoek.
* October 3: The Vodastore in Tygervalley was robbed by three armed men.
* October 4: A security guard was assaulted and Shoprite in Fish Hoek was robbed of an undisclosed amount of money.
* October 8: iStore in Canal Walk was robbed.
* October 11: Jewellery worth more than R2 million was stolen at a store in a Canal Walk.
* October 16: Armed robbers target Cardies in Canal Walk tying up two staff members and stealing stock and cash.
* October 17: A Vodastore in Bayside Mall was raided.
* October 17: Nando’s in Plattekloof Village was robbed by eight armed men.

19 October Waterstone Mall P 'n P, Somerset West,1 guard shot dead.

We have some friends who have a mother at home looking after the 3 kids and the bloke earns less than 50k a year, they are doing just fine and we met them camping, you really can really get by on little here.... depending on what you call enough.....

That article on the 170k i can promise you there are a LOT of people who do just fine in Perth on significantly less than that.

If your requirements are fancy private schools, and a house with a tennis court and swimming pool in the best area, sure you will need a lot of bucks, if like us you are good with a 3 bedroom house in a middle class area you will be getting by just fine and saving a packet on a lot less than that.

I remember an article recently where there was a bloke in Sydney complaining to the news about how he couldn't survive on 200k, his version of enough was just really different to mine.....

Since we got here we have ensured that we have no debt other than a second hand reasonable car, we didn't rent the best house we could afford, rather what we felt comfortable in, and even though we still go out, and buy the occasional expensive toy we have enough savings to cover a year of costs, in RSA we had zero savings and huge debt.

Your mileage will vary based on your expectations, but you really can get by with a lot less than the news like to go on about

Active thread on whine pool relating to this topic...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2328422

Nice link Tierlemk, it really does show that what people consider to be enough is really different

• Like 5

Piet, doing a comparison line-by-line will do your head in - some things are just so out of whack between the 2 countries. (for instance, bread can cost you about R55 a loaf and a beer at a pizza place the other day cost R100. not too mention car registration of R7000+). If you think SA is ridiculously expensive, then you're going to have fun looking for a house here :)

I suggest looking at where your salary will get you in terms of standard of living as a whole.

I support a wife and kid on $110k per annum fairly comfortably, with private school. We don't live excessively lavish lifestyles, but do get out and about most weekends.